News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Live Boxing Shows Missing/Vanishing From TWC-STB Advanced Search Keyboard

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Jul 28, 2015, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Greetings,

Wanted to give some feedback on the Advanced Search Keyboard System,

I can confirm that Live Boxing Shows are NOT being picked up by the Advanced Search keyboard although they show in the Time Grid. On occasion, when they do show up, they are gone the next day. Story below:

I have submitted feedback on this and even included this in a post called "Where the Advanced Keyboard Search Needs Improvement." The live boxing, almost never found on the advanced search keyboard is a prime example. I will even give updated detail to this feedback:

1.) I do a search for Boxing on the keyboard. And results show only one folder and some out of date fight not in the folder most of the time. If you go to this folder and open it, all you get are VOD old boxing matches no new live content.

2.) Twice this week and once last week there was a SECOND boxing folder in boxing search results. That folder contained matches for HBO, Showtime, and all the live boxing shows this week.

3.) Twenty-Four hours later, the second folder containing the live boxing shows is gone! Than what happens is a fight about two weeks out gets added to the system, but with no time or cover art. The other user, discusses a similar issue in the link below. I am sure has had a similar experience.

4.) The second folder that appears and disappears in step two, is vanishing every other day for no reason!

This means that users have to go on-line to program their boxing shows, where the data is there, or use the Time Grid to find all boxing shows. The new keyboard cannot be trusted to show live boxing data.

I hope this is fixed in the next update. Which brings the B button list all titles of a search back to the modern boxes. If live boxing shows are in the Time Grid, (and they are.) They should always be picked up by the keyboard and this is not happening.

I am in Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin. I have an Arris box. But I had a Cisco box with the same thing described above. The older SA boxes were always able to find our boxing shows. Another customer reports the exact same thing with the keyboard data when searching for boxing shows with his Cisco box. Rebooting the box has no effect.

He and I ask the same question. Why are the shows in question picked up by the TWC TV application and other mobile devices, but not on the boxes? I believe that if the data is in the Time Grid, the keyboard should be able to find the information. We know that this is not an individual account or a box problem because his Cisco and my Arris models produce the same effect.

HOW TO TEST THIS BUG:

I would encourage TWC employees to test the search for "Boxing" shows in their homes, offices, and labs. Here are some steps to follow for specific testing of this issue.

Note the following:

1.) This bug applies only to the "Next Generation" boxes with the advanced search system. The SA model boxes therefore do not apply.

2.) When you run the test on any next generation box, do a "B" search for "Boxing." on the keyboard. select the "Boxing" Event option. If the cloud data is correct, testers should see two folders labeled "Boxing." Other boxing sub-folders may say things like "Solo Boxing" "Classic Boxing" or "Premier Boxing Champions." Employees should look at only the two folders that say "Boxing" when selecting Boxing-Event.

3.) If the cloud search is behaving correctly the TOP folder, of the two "Boxing" folders in the search, will list all the live boxing shows on broadcast, standard cable, and premium cable for the next 7-14 days. This is what users SHOULD see at all times. The folder on the bottom shows only boxing shows that are on VOD. Nothing live.

4.) If the cloud search is NOT behaving correctly, employees will see only ONE folder in searching for "Boxing" and selecting "Boxing Event," and maybe one old boxing match on the top, EMPLOYEES, IF YOU DON'T SEE TWO BOXING FOLDERS IN THE SEARCH FOR BOXING SHOWS, AND SELECTING "BOXING-EVENT,"THE ONE FOLDER SHOWN WILL ONLY SHOW VOD CONTENT WHEN SELECTED. No live content at all.

Testing of the cloud search needs to be sure that condition #3 holds each time. This should include box reboots and software updates.

If condition #4 happens, you can only search for live boxing shows through the Time Grid on the advanced set top boxes or go online to program the DVR that way.

I hope that these steps will assist in keyboard search reliability. Feel free to test.

UPDATE:

With regards to the above,

After holding for two days with the two folders selecting "Boxing Event" and the top folder correctly showing all live boxing shows, as of Today, July 28, 2015, we are back to the top folder gone again.

All that shows when selecting Boxing-Event instead of the top folder, showing live fights, is a fight that says, Andre Berto verses Soto Karass, a fight that happened about three weeks to a month ago.

The live boxing data is not holding in the cloud for more than three days at a time. Please forward accordingly, and consider this situation an on-going issue.

Jack

PS.  Have sent this nationally as a feedback/bug report to TWC.  The above, posted on this forum, is slightly modified  to our local areas in order to get more people aware of this issue.
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

I am wondering,

What would cause this data to change like this? As the live boxing listings are always picked up in the Time Grid. However, they are often missing or inaccurate when searched with the keyboard. The instance below further studies the live boxing shows keyboard bug:

Several friends and I have reproduced the above steps I have given to recreate the data mentioned. THE ONLY WAY THAT THE KEYBOARD EVER SHOWS ANY LIVE BOXING LISTING DATA IS THAT WHEN SELECTING BOXING EVENT, ON THE KEYBOARD SEARCH, YOU MUST SEE TWO LABELED "BOXING" FOLDERS IN THE SEARCH AND THE TOP FOLDER CONTAINS THE LIVE DATA FOR BOXING SHOWS.

If only one folder shows in selecting Boxing Event for the keyboard results, that one folder only shows old VOD boxing programs. An old fight from three to four weeks back is often incorrectly taking the place of the live top folder in the tier. An error in the keyboard or cloud-set data structure is "kicking out" that correct top folder live boxing show data on-goingingly about every 12-72 hours. Or maybe it has something to do with how Tribune Media Services is uploading the data in the cloud to the advanced generation set-tops? It is a "Unique" kind of bug.

It seems that live boxing data mandates that those two folders must always be there in the search results when keying "Boxing-Event" on the keyboard. If those two folders exist, the top folder, with the live data, comes up with no problems for boxing shows, just like any other search results.

Thank you for passing along this additional information.

Jack

Jack 1000

May have found a pattern to the bug,

No change in the bugs described in this thread. The Keyboard Boxing Event search two-tier folder, top folder live show data is still vanishing in 12-72 hour increments. However, I may have found a possible pattern to the bug. An approximate pattern seems to be on a Sunday, the correct two folder structure will show when searching for Boxing, and selecting Boxing Event on the keyboard. By Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, the top folder with the live boxing show data is gone and will stay gone for about 3-4 days. The live boxing show data shows up correctly beginning the following work and the top folder, showing the correct live show data vanishes by the middle of the week, repeating the same cycle over and over again.

I run a boxing website as an Administrative Consultant and because of this on-going bug cannot trust the Advanced Search set-top keyboard to show live-data for the show schedules. This may not be a huge deal to an average user, but to a business person it is very frustrating.

I have requested at the TWC Direct Forum for someone at TWC to forward this whole link as a bug report specifically to my local TWC Milwaukee Wisconsin Division. If there is an awareness of this issue at the local TWC cable level, it might get a resolution faster.

Thank you very much,

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;60167May have found a pattern to the bug,

No change in the bugs described in this thread. The Keyboard Boxing Event search two-tier folder, top folder live show data is still vanishing in 12-72 hour increments. However, I may have found a possible pattern to the bug. An approximate pattern seems to be on a Sunday, the correct two folder structure will show when searching for Boxing, and selecting Boxing Event on the keyboard. By Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, the top folder with the live boxing show data is gone and will stay gone for about 3-4 days. The live boxing show data shows up correctly beginning the following work and the top folder, showing the correct live show data vanishes by the middle of the week, repeating the same cycle over and over again.

I run a boxing website as an Administrative Consultant and because of this on-going bug cannot trust the Advanced Search set-top keyboard to show live-data for the show schedules. This may not be a huge deal to an average user, but to a business person it is very frustrating.

I have requested at the TWC Direct Forum for someone at TWC to forward this whole link as a bug report specifically to my local TWC Milwaukee Wisconsin Division. If there is an awareness of this issue at the local TWC cable level, it might get a resolution faster.

Thank you very much,

Jack

Bug Update:

As stated, two folders labeled "Boxing" (and ONLY "Boxing") must be found in the advanced keyboard search results when keying in "Boxing" and selecting "Boxing Event." for live boxing data to be returned by the advanced search STB keyboard. This live show data is found in the Top folder. Often a folder labeled "Premier Boxing Champions" containing an old fight is taking the place of the correct top two-tired "Boxing" folder. (Or sometimes the top result will incorrectly show a several weeks to months old fight outside of a folder.)

New boxing shows that are live, need to be in the top folder. Once that two-tiered folder structure is tested and holds for an extended period of time, this bug should be solved.

Jack

Jack 1000

More Feedback,

Today, Sunday, August 9. 2015 when typing in Boxing and Selecting Boxing-Event we have the correct two-tier folder structure of live boxing shows in the top folder and VOD boxing shows on the bottom.

Submit this as a benchmark for testing. The problem is now making that live top folder hold 24/7 so that it is not replaced sometime between tomorrow through the end of this coming week with another old fight outside the folder, or the "Premier Boxing Champions" folder containing old fights. Correct data search must only show the following conditions:  

1.) Key "Boxing" on Keyboard. Select "Boxing Event."
2.) Top Folder says, "Boxing" nothing else. Top folder contains live boxing matches.
3.) Bottom folder says "Boxing" and contains VOD matches.

Note that even if a live PPV boxing match is forthcoming it should be in that top folder. (The next boxing PPV is September 12th: Mayweather vs. Berto, keep this in mind when evaluating this bug.) When the top folder is gone, ALL live boxing data vanishes from the boxing search along with it!

In a future software update, perhaps you could show a forthcoming PPV boxing match separate from the two-tier folder structure. However, that might be confusing. The purpose of folders is to consolidate the data into a logical place. When the two-tier folder results work correctly, with live Boxing in the top boxing folder, and VOD in the lower boxing folder when selecting Boxing-Event, the data is much easier to navigate.

In a nutshell what this means is when searching for Boxing through the keying of Boxing and selecting Boxing-Event in the search result, as long as you can see the two "Boxing" folders in the tier, everything should be OK.

Regards,

Jack

Jack 1000

More feedback based on my own testing,

I ran my own test on the two-tier folder structure in keying in Boxing and Selecting Boxing Event:

Last Saturday, we had the top folder of the live boxing shows gone and replaced with various old boxing matches. Bottom folder is always there no matter what and shows VOD boxing content.

From Sunday to Monday the correct two-tiered boxing folder comes back. By Tuesday the correct two-tier folder structure is gone. Top folder is replaced with an old boxing match or" Premier Boxing Champions" folder containing old fights. This incorrect data structure exists until the following Sunday when the correct two-tier folder structure returns and the cycle repeats itself. (Top "Boxing" folder with Live boxing show data in keyboard search results on Sunday and Monday,gone by Tuesday, correctly returning, but not till the following Sunday.) From Tuesday through Saturday, it is impossible to find live boxing show data using the Advanced Search keyboard on the set-top box.

When this incorrect data structure was in effect for the live boxing shows, (Today, Tuesday we had the Premier Boxing Champions folder replacing the live "Boxing" folder,) I keyed in another Sport, Tennis, and selected a Tennis-Event. Selecting Tennis-Event shows the correct two-tier folder structure even though we are only getting live boxing data two days out of seven! Embarrassing that I can only program live boxing shows from the STB on a Monday or Tuesday, because the live data is gone all other days!

I can conclude that the live boxing show data reappearing than vanishing, than reappearing and vanishing, is not an issue for other sports data, such as Tennis. Hopefully, by knowing the days that this data is correct and not correct for the Boxing/Live Boxing-Event data structure, might help produce a bug fix.

I hate having to use other sources to find live boxing shows because of the inconvenience associated with this advanced keyboard search bug! This really needs to be fixed ASAP.

Jack

Jack 1000

This is an easier to follow list of the steps involved in reproducing this data bug, it's frequency, and its duration:

Live Boxing Show Top Folder Vanishes From Advanced STB Keyboard from the results of a Boxing keyboard search and a Boxing-Event list selection: (Steps to Test.)

1.) Search for Boxing on any advanced set top keyboard. (i,e non-SA model)

2.) Scroll to the Boxing-Event Result.

3.) Correct result needs to show a two tier folder structure, with two folders labeled "Boxing." The top folder shows live boxing data. The bottom folder shows VOD data never live.

4.) The top folder with the live data must be there at all times and is not.

5.) Tests show the top folder with live boxing shows is present on Sunday through Monday.

6.) From Tuesday through Saturday the top live boxing folder vanishes and is incorrectly replaced with a folder called "Premier Boxing Champions" containing fights that are several weeks, to months old, if not more, or a very old fight will be at the top of the search results screen, instead of the Live Folder.

7.) Customers have to wait until Sunday of the following week for the correct two-tier "Boxing" folder result to reappear, only to have that top live folder gone by Tuesday and they have to wait till Sunday for the correct two tier folder to reappear when selecting "Boxing Event" on the STB advanced keyboard.

8.) The only times the correct two-tier folder structure is present when keying in boxing on the Advanced STB keyboard, and selecting Boxing event is Sunday and Monday. Customers cannot schedule any live boxing shows using the STB keyboard from Tuesday through Saturday because the top live Boxing folder, when keying in Boxing and selecting Boxing event is not available from the keyboard during that Tuesday through Saturday five day range.

9.) There is no problem with the above data when searching on such devices as TWCTV.com. But from Tuesday through Saturday, customers can only use the STB Time Grid to find live boxing shows The keyboard cloud data, with the correct result for keying in Boxing, and selecting "Boxing Event", only shows the correct two "Boxing" folders on Sunday and Monday.

10.) In a nutshell, the keyboard data required two-tier folder structure when keying in "Boxing" and selecting "Boxing-Event" for live boxing shows is not holding 24/7.

This consolidated list should make testing easier for the techs to follow.

Jack

Jack 1000

What is known about this data bug (Consolidated Information.)

1.) On boxes with the advanced search system, by keying in "Boxing" and selecting "Boxing-Event" a two-tier folder structure MUST occur in search results.  The top folder contains all boxing shows for the upcoming week.  The bottom folder contains VOD content.  The bottom folder does not appy to this listing bug.

2.) From Sunday to Tuesday of each week, the correct two-tier folder results appear.

3.) From Wednesday to Saturday, the top folder vanishes and is replaced by an old fight, anywhere from weeks to months old, often with no cover art.  Or a Premier Boxing Champions folder containing an old fight, or old data.  Customers cannot use the keyboard to search for live boxing shows on the advanced STB from Wednesday through Saturday of each week because the live show top folder, when keying in Boxing-Event does not exist until the following Sunday through Tuesday.

What remains unknown:

An ODN software update for the boxes has been released, which includes the ability to auto search for shows, where the B button on advanced search boxes will take users to all times the show being watched is available.  We don't know if the above Boxing Listings weekly search listings bug has been corrected.  This is because TWC Wisconsin has not received this latest software update at this time.

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;60173What is known about this data bug (Consolidated Information.)

1.) On boxes with the advanced search system, by keying in "Boxing" and selecting "Boxing-Event" a two-tier folder structure MUST occur in search results.  The top folder contains all boxing shows for the upcoming week.  The bottom folder contains VOD content.  The bottom folder does not appy to this listing bug.

2.) From Sunday to Tuesday of each week, the correct two-tier folder results appear.

3.) From Wednesday to Saturday, the top folder vanishes and is replaced by an old fight, anywhere from weeks to months old, often with no cover art.  Or a Premier Boxing Champions folder containing an old fight, or old data.  Customers cannot use the keyboard to search for live boxing shows on the advanced STB from Wednesday through Saturday of each week because the live show top folder, when keying in Boxing-Event does not exist until the following Sunday through Tuesday.

What remains unknown:

An ODN software update for the boxes has been released, which includes the ability to auto search for shows, where the B button on advanced search boxes will take users to all times the show being watched is available.  We don't know if the above Boxing Listings weekly search listings bug has been corrected.  This is because TWC Wisconsin has not received this latest software update at this time.

Jack

Above issue remains with this latest software update.  When keying Boxing and selecting Boxing Event through the keyboard, two folders that say "Boxing" must show at all times and they do not.  The top folder is all live boxing shows for the next several days.  The bottom folder is boxing VOD content that is not live.  The top "Boxing" folder only shows on Sunday through Tuesday of any week, than vanishes.  The top "Boxing" folder, showing live boxing content, needs to be there 24/7 to fix this listings bug.

Jack

Jack 1000

Update,

Brighthouse Networks, which uses the same cable boxes and software has the duplicate boxing shows listing bug and a tech says this is being looked at.  I anticipate that TWC is doing the same.  I hope this gets fixed soon!  I have been waiting six months for a resolution to this problem!

Jack

Jack 1000

Guys,

This listing bug has been going on for many, many months.  I contact TWC requesting to speak to someone on the development team for the advanced STB search design, to send feedback.  They said no.  All they can do is send bug feedback and feature requests to them.  However, there is no direct line of communication for customers nor employees to contact the guide developers, which sucks.

All we can do is wait for a bug fix for the Boxing listings bug.

Jack