• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group. Please login or sign up.
 
Friday Jan 15, 2021, 11:07:27 pm

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!


WVTV to get movie subchannel

Started by mrschimpf, Monday Jun 23, 2014, 11:33:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mrschimpf

We knew it couldn't last forever, but today Sinclair announced that a digital subchannel movie network run by Sony, getTV will air on 18.2 by the end of the year.

I'm sure these days signal management means we won't even notice any loss in detail for 18.1 (and I can't blame the local guys really since they have to take whatever Hunt Valley throws at them), but if all the people behind digital subchannels think we want are reruns, movies and weather, it's incredibly uncreative.

Tivoman44

A movie channel wouldn't be the worst thing, whether it's older movies or not.  I think it's better than a weather, cooking, or music channel.  Maybe a sports channel would be better, to air brewer games.

jjallou

Quote from: Tivoman44;59984A movie channel wouldn't be the worst thing, whether it's older movies or not.  I think it's better than a weather, cooking, or music channel.  Maybe a sports channel would be better, to air brewer games.

Brewers Games? That ship has sailed due to the greediness of the Bucks & Brewers organizations to go cable only and keep the commercial revenue to themselves. Besides, I wouldn't want to see a sports sub-channel OTA anyway (probably wouldn't be HD). Since we pay tax dollars for Miller Park all the games should be made available OTA on the main HD channel..........

John L

Quote from: jjallou;59985Brewers Games? That ship has sailed due to the greediness of the Bucks & Brewers organizations to go cable only and keep the commercial revenue to themselves. Besides, I wouldn't want to see a sports sub-channel OTA anyway (probably wouldn't be HD). Since we pay tax dollars for Miller Park all the games should be made available OTA on the main HD channel..........

I and many folks would love to see this so we all can drop cable and satellite and just watch TV via antenna. It beats paying $150 per month with TWC.

-John L.

PONIES

You can already do that.

All you have to do is stop watching Brewers games.

Problem solved! :wave:

Jack 1000

Wednesday Jul 02, 2014, 04:19:30 pm #5 Last Edit: Wednesday Jul 02, 2014, 04:25:05 pm by Jack 1000
Quote from: jjallou;59985Brewers Games? That ship has sailed due to the greediness of the Bucks & Brewers organizations to go cable only and keep the commercial revenue to themselves. Besides, I wouldn't want to see a sports sub-channel OTA anyway (probably wouldn't be HD). Since we pay tax dollars for Miller Park all the games should be made available OTA on the main HD channel..........

I am not even a big Baseball fan, but know people that are, and it's sad that they have given up all broadcast rights to the outside cable/dish/phone venders.  They could roll out a sub-channel with Brewers games.  However, to save money, it may not be HD.  I am sure all of you remember how awful the reception was on WMLW-SD when they had Brewers games!  The picture was always too dark and fuzzy.

Now they have an HD station, and it is much better.  The MLB owners may want to re-consider revenue and advertising lost by refusing to no longer show games to people who don't subscribe to a cable, dish, or U-Verse service.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

MDR

GETTV 18.2 live now. Picture quality pretty good
Cord Cutter


ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

mrschimpf

Quote from: MDR;59992GETTV 18.2 live now. Picture quality pretty good

Is it widescreen or a 4:3 letterbox?

MDR

Cord Cutter


ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

John L

That was quick!!!   I see they have lifestyle programs on this morning, but 3 movies scheduled for this afternoon.  I noticed 18-2 about 15 mins ago while channel scanning with the antenna since I was forced off TWC because I was having problems.  TWC quality is going to hell. SO I may end up yet with dropping cable, going all with the antenna and my ROKU player.

-John L.

Jack 1000

Friday Jul 04, 2014, 02:59:20 pm #10 Last Edit: Friday Jul 04, 2014, 04:17:40 pm by Jack 1000
Quote from: John L;59995That was quick!!!   I see they have lifestyle programs on this morning, but 3 movies scheduled for this afternoon.  I noticed 18-2 about 15 mins ago while channel scanning with the antenna since I was forced off TWC because I was having problems.  TWC quality is going to hell. SO I may end up yet with dropping cable, going all with the antenna and my ROKU player.

-John L.

Hi John,

What do you mean?  That GetTV is down now?  Maybe it was just a test run. I checked the website.  They have an agreement with TWC in some areas.  TWC has been good here.  I hate the poor quality of the DVR's and outdated guide, but phone and Internet are awesome!

Jack

PS.  Get TV's website in both IE 11 and  Firefox 30, does not show the conventional URL format. I get the following:

http://get.tv/

It is a channel that plays old movies like Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on cable and dish.
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

John L

I didn't say GET TV is down. Its operating. Tuned in now and have an old movie on 18-2.

I was referring to my Time Warner Cable.....it was working bad today, thus I switch my TV to antenna mode and channel scanning and notice that besides 18-1 came up but the next channel was 18-2 not 24-1.

Since the TWC merger with Comcast or whatever, there quality has shot down. It won't be long that TWC or who operates it will eventually go out of business while AT & T Universe is having a fast rate of new subscribers.  Installers will have a hard time keeping up with the new subscribers connecting each day.

-John L.


Quote from: Jack 1000;59996Hi John,

What do you mean?  That GetTV is down now?  Maybe it was just a test run. I checked the website.  They have an agreement with TWC in some areas.  TWC has been good here.  I hate the poor quality of the DVR's and outdated guide, but phone and Internet are awesome!

Jack

PS.  Get TV's website in both IE 11 and  Firefox 30, does not show the conventional URL format. I get the following:

http://get.tv/

It is a channel that plays old movies like Turner Classic Movies (TCM) on cable and dish.

Jack 1000

Friday Jul 04, 2014, 10:00:37 pm #12 Last Edit: Friday Jul 04, 2014, 10:07:15 pm by Jack 1000
Quote from: John L;59997I didn't say GET TV is down. Its operating. Tuned in now and have an old movie on 18-2.

I was referring to my Time Warner Cable.....it was working bad today, thus I switch my TV to antenna mode and channel scanning and notice that besides 18-1 came up but the next channel was 18-2 not 24-1.

Since the TWC merger with Comcast or whatever, there quality has shot down. It won't be long that TWC or who operates it will eventually go out of business while AT & T Universe is having a fast rate of new subscribers.  Installers will have a hard time keeping up with the new subscribers connecting each day.

-John L.

My problems with U-Verse are crappy phone lines, DSL Internet, which I could NEVER go back to having, and too many trees in my neighborhood for Dish.  I found out insider info on the TWC merger.  If approved, it will be five years before any major changes.  Whether we are Comcast, Charter, or whatever.  All that will change will be the name on the guides, buildings, and trucks for some time.

The Internet Speed Updates and universal TWC line up are next on the agenda.  Wisconsin was to get the new line-up in August.  However, it has been pushed back.

I understand that AT&T bought Direct TV.  I think TWC is just big to go out of business.  They make so much money off of their Internet and Phone, and have been around for thirty years.  Merger or no merger, some other big monopoly would just take over.  Either Comcast/Charter gets  them, or they will look to buy out smaller markets.  If you have trees, or crappy phone lines, you are forced into cable for TV and Internet, or else go OTA.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

mrschimpf

Quote from: John L;59995That was quick!!!   I see they have lifestyle programs on this morning, but 3 movies scheduled for this afternoon.
-John L.

Their E/I chasm of doom is stuck on Friday mornings to get it out of the way (the said lifestyle programming); the rest of the schedule is all movies. Judging from the usual pattern though, it'll be Charter that will pick it up first within weeks, with TWC taking their sweet time to get it on their systems. Why is it TWC is so slow to get new subchannels up?

Jack 1000

Quote from: mrschimpf;59999Their E/I chasm of doom is stuck on Friday mornings to get it out of the way (the said lifestyle programming); the rest of the schedule is all movies. Judging from the usual pattern though, it'll be Charter that will pick it up first within weeks, with TWC taking their sweet time to get it on their systems. Why is it TWC is so slow to get new subchannels up?

Some state TWC markets have it now:

http://get.tv/get-the-channel

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide