News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Cable modem TW is supplying?

Started by ArgMeMatey, Friday Mar 16, 2012, 04:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: gundi;58383Why does TW ask if your computer is within 6 feet of a cable outlet?

Can't you just have a modem, say in the basement, where the coax cable comes into a house?

Their SOP is to install the modem next to your desktop computer so they can plug the computer directly into the modem.  A lot of people probably do this and just have everything else connecting wirelessly.  But in this day and age, plenty of people have it located elsewhere.  

I'm not aware of any reason you can't put it in the basement.  They installed my cable modem in the living room and I moved it to the basement, where it stayed for a couple of years without any trouble.  They ask the simplest possible question so the installer is prepared if he or she has to install a new outlet.  

If I go with Time Warner I'll just put the laptop on top the washing machine and tell them to hook up to that.  :)

Talos4

They asked the same thing when I installed 2 years ago. I have outlets in every room except the WC. :(

Instead of going round and round with customer service and the tech, I said yes. Tech came and installed the modem in my living room and was gone in 1/2 hr.

I moved it to the second floor loft, installed my router, hardwired the X-box and went wireless for my desktop, lap tops and phones.

Haven't had an issue since.

Rick_EE

One thing to be careful when moving the modem is if you have whole house DVR.  They installed a trap on the modem coax going from our main splitter where the cable goes into the house.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;58370Mine is a Cisco DPC2100R2

That's what I got this morning.  
Scientific Atlanta "WebSTAR" on front panel.  
Hardware Version 2.1
Software Version dpc2100rx-v202r1256-110513Uas-TWC

Admin interface is at 192.168.100.1, although only the "System" tab is accessible showing dbmv levels.  

The old SurfBoard showed me the RF channels used and I don't remember what else.  

So I am still wondering if I supplied my own modem if they would lock me out of parts of it.  Would they use SNMP to do this?  

Or, because the 2100 has a software version ending in "TWC", is it safe to assume they have just built their own somewhat more bullet-resistant software?

brewtownska

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;58401That's what I got this morning.  
Scientific Atlanta "WebSTAR" on front panel.  
Hardware Version 2.1
Software Version dpc2100rx-v202r1256-110513Uas-TWC

Admin interface is at 192.168.100.1, although only the "System" tab is accessible showing dbmv levels.  

The old SurfBoard showed me the RF channels used and I don't remember what else.  

So I am still wondering if I supplied my own modem if they would lock me out of parts of it.  Would they use SNMP to do this?  

Or, because the 2100 has a software version ending in "TWC", is it safe to assume they have just built their own somewhat more bullet-resistant software?

Isn't the software (I always referred to it as firmware) what TWC uses to cap your speeds?  The few times I've upgraded or downgraded, they've had me cold reboot the modem, that way the new firmware gets used, with the current approved speed caps.  So that's probably why you can only use a modem in the list...those are the only ones they developed custom software for.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: brewtownska;58403Isn't the software (I always referred to it as firmware) what TWC uses to cap your speeds?  
Based on what I have read elsewhere they would download a config file to the modem that tells it how fast it can go.  So no, it's not dependent on software or firmware per se.  

I'd be interested to know if the frequencies on the Signal menu (posted below) vary or if they are consistent, at least in this market.  

I used an html file to view the signal, status, and log menus:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26466092-

Downstream Status
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
693000000 Hz
Modulation
QAM256
Bit Rate
Power Level
0.6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
39.9 dBmV

Upstream Status
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
21000000 Hz
Modulation
64QAM
Symbol Rate
2560 Ksym/sec
Power Level
41.2 dBmV

brewtownska

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;58404Based on what I have read elsewhere they would download a config file to the modem that tells it how fast it can go.  So no, it's not dependent on software or firmware per se.  

I'd be interested to know if the frequencies on the Signal menu (posted below) vary or if they are consistent, at least in this market.  

I used an html file to view the signal, status, and log menus:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26466092-

Downstream Status
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
693000000 Hz
Modulation
QAM256
Bit Rate
Power Level
0.6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
39.9 dBmV

Upstream Status
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
21000000 Hz
Modulation
64QAM
Symbol Rate
2560 Ksym/sec
Power Level
41.2 dBmV

On my Waukesha RR connection, things that are different than what you posted:
Downstream Frequency: 699000000 HZ
Upstream Frequency: 22000000 HZ
Upstream Channel ID = 2

My Motorola SB5101 doesn't show the modulation values.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

kevbeck122

This is the info I get from the SBG6580 with RoadRunner Extreme.  Other than the wireless settings and QAM channel settings, TWC pretty much gives you full control of this modem/gateway.

Bebop

For some reason, TW has not lock down the wireless option on my TW modem. I can enable it if I wanted to.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun