• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New WeatherWatch 12 Promos

Started by trev57, Friday Jun 10, 2011, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trev57

WISN recently starting airing new promos for Weather Watch 12. The newest one I saw today said something along the lines of "Showing you the storms in 3D, showing you the danger in HD". I have never seen them use the 3D feature on the radar and the promo looked like it was in HD.

Does this mean that HD news is finally coming to WISN.....maybe. Who really knows?

I will try to find a video.

mrschimpf

Mark mentioned on the WW12 weather blog about a month back that the weather department is currently training on a new weather system and that as soon as they were finished they'd give their regular readers a preview of the technology, so it's definitely a new system they're beginning to promote.

trev57

Well I just got done emailing back and forth with someone at WISN, and all I can say is stay tuned....something's coming in the next couple of weeks! ;)

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: trev57;57444something's coming in the next couple of weeks! ;)
Hopefully it will be in time to save everyone from the next big weather disaster.  

It can't be all that significant, because otherwise they would be working 24x7 to "show us the danger in HD."  

Now, back to the tunnel.  ;)

trev57

I guess this is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things, but I got a little more info on the changes coming. According to Jan Wade, WISN's GM, they will flip the switch to HD, unveil a new weather system, and refresh the graphics in the next couple of weeks. So we'll see what happens.

EDIT: The new weather system actually debuted tonight. However, Mark Baden did say that we would have to stay tuned over the next few weeks to see everything because they couldn't show it to us yet.

WPXE ION

So how is it 3D? :huh?: I was in the Navy and 3D radar meant it could see from a target the following: Range, Bearing, and Height. So does doppler really see height? Radars on board ships that were 3D were a phased array, that is how they got the height of a target. Otherwise a normal radar was 2D and could only see range and bearing. Could they be using satellite images to detect the temps of the clouds and the computer systems are interpreting this as height? :confused: