• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any word on Road Runner Extreme?

Started by Mark Strube, Thursday May 05, 2011, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

I've been keeping my eye on DSLReports but I haven't seen any news on this recently. I feel like last time I talked to a Time Warner tech, they had planned for this to be rolled out by now in the Milwaukee area. But I could be mistaken.

Anyone have a scoop on when Milwaukee might have the 30/5 speed tier available?

LoadStar

Quote from: Mark Strube;57318I've been keeping my eye on DSLReports but I haven't seen any news on this recently. I feel like last time I talked to a Time Warner tech, they had planned for this to be rolled out by now in the Milwaukee area. But I could be mistaken.

Anyone have a scoop on when Milwaukee might have the 30/5 speed tier available?

Is this the same as Road Runner Wideband? If so, the "teaser" page is here:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/wisconsin/learn/hso/wideband-internet/

You can enter your email address to be informed when the service launches.

Mark Strube

Seems Wideband is a different, faster animal... but that sounds good too. ;)

MrZMaster

A co-worker of mine said he had called TWC last week to get a HBO or Showtime special (can't remember which) and also asked about the availability of road runner Extreme and Wide band services.

The rep told him that they are both available in Milwaukee now, but just not being advertised yet. Seems like this is a test period. She quoted him an additional $9.95 a month on top of Turbo road runner service for the Extreme (30 / 5) and a ridiculous $100/mo for Wide band (50 /5). I thought that the upgrade to Extreme sounded like a steal (double my turbo speed for only an extra $9.95/mo), so I decided to chat online with a TWC rep.

I just got off chat with them, and they are coming out tomorrow to swap my modem for the new DOCSIS 3 modem. Unfortunately, I couldn't talk them out of a one-time $9.95 installation fee for the new modem. Bummer.

I'll post back here with details after the tech stops by tomorrow with the new modem, as far as what kind of speeds I'm getting and what kind of new modem it is.

Mark Strube

ddeerrff

The higher speed is nice, but it does little good when the rest of the RR network is so messed up.  Speed within is fine, but the external linkages are quite often anemic.  It's like RR is a very low priority with everyone else.

budda

Your system is only as fast as the slowest component. You can have the fastest internet and computer. But if you go to a site that only runs on say 3 MPS.That is all you will get. The Windows 7, rating system kinda works like that. Lowest number is your "windows experience index". All that being said I have charter and it is nice but I would love to have more bandwidth and speed.:)

MrZMaster

Just got done with the TWC tech. He replaced my old modem with a new Motorola SBG6580.. a wifi router. I was pretty surprised, and it was cool that I could use this to replace my aging Linksys WRT54G and get some wifi N to boot.

I'm peaking at about 32.8 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up, so the service seems to be as advertised. For an extra $10/mo, I'm happy to get double my previous down speeds (and 5x my previous upspeeds).

ddeerrff

Quote from: budda;57328Your system is only as fast as the slowest component. You can have the fastest internet and computer. But if you go to a site that only runs on say 3 MPS.That is all you will get. The Windows 7, rating system kinda works like that. Lowest number is your "windows experience index". All that being said I have charter and it is nice but I would love to have more bandwidth and speed.:)
Absolutely right, and the slowest component seems to be the bridge between the RR network and the 'outside world'.

Let's just take a for example...

I check my speed at home by running the roadruner speed check.  It tells me 8.8 Mbps (1100 KBps).  I attempt to download a file from xyz.com and get a speed of 120 KBps.  So, OK, the server xyz.com is a bit slow.  

But then again, I can download that same file here at work and get over 1000 KBps.  So perhaps xyz.com really isn't so slow after all. So where is the bottleneck?  If it is not my connection to RR, and it is not the far end server, where is it?  Gotta be the network in between.

While I don't always see it, running PingPlotter often shows a discontinuity of ping times as the request transitions out of the RR network.  I know ping times are not necessarily a good indication of anything, but I do find it curious.  

Let's not even mention stalls.....

Xizer

It doesn't seem to be available in the suburbs that are part of TWC's Milwaukee cluster like Kenosha yet.

kevbeck122

I just called and got quoted $85 for Extreme... maybe because I'm an RR only customer?  The rep said she'd see if there are any deals and call me back tomorrow.  Otherwise she told me that standard will be bumped up to 10Mbps this summer.  I'd still like a higher upload though.

TPK

I find it interesting that TWC is rolling this out, while AT&T is rolling out bandwidth caps...

.... I think its time for me to switch

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

Quote from: TPK;57339I find it interesting that TWC is rolling this out, while AT&T is rolling out bandwidth caps...

.... I think its time for me to switch

What makes you think TW will not try to introduce cap again? :)

They will probably put cap on low end plans and no cap for Turbo and up.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

budda

Caps are being floated by at@t as well as RR in the near future because of there TV programming. You will by less from U-Verse and cable if you can download hulu and Netflix and so on. This is the industry trying to gain market share in one area with out loosing it in another slowly over time. Like DVD stores or any media outlet. Technology is blowing pass the service provided. Unless they can slow it down. JMO:D

Just look at land line phones still there, but how many AT@T lay offs?