News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TMJ4 - Dish negotiations

Started by ArgMeMatey, Saturday Apr 30, 2011, 11:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

In their FAQs (http://jbganswers.com/faq.html), TMJ says Dish is paying TMJ about $0.01 per day per sub.  TMJ proposed an increase so the aggregate would be under $0.03 at the end of the new agreement.  

Any guesses on Dish's subscriber counts in this market?  All of the Journal Broadcast Group markets?  Can somebody check my math?

Assuming Dish subscribers are all paying $6 per month for locals:
Per sub:  $6 per month * 12 months = $72 per year
$72 per year / 365 days = $0.20 per day

Now JBG is getting:  $0.01 per day

Under JBG's proposal: $0.03 per day

So how many Milwaukee (for profit) broadcasters?
4, 6, 12, 18&24, 55, 49&58 = 6

Let's say they're all getting $0.01 per day now.  

6 owners * $0.01 each = $0.06 per day, 30% of Dish's gross

Let's say they all propose going from $0.01 to $0.03:

6 owners * $0.03 each = $0.18 per day, 91% of Dish's gross

Uh oh.  That ain't gonna work out too well.  Somebody's gonna have to take less money, or somebody's gonna have to pay more.  I wonder who will lose out in this deal?  ;)

ddeerrff

Dish should be paying TMJ $0.00 per customer.  

TMJ is payed for content by the advertisers.  Dish, or DTV, or cable is paid by their customers for the delivery service.  Why should the delivery service have to pay for content they are only passing on?

As it is, the delivery services are providing a benefit to the content providers by providing  larger viewer base, therefore allowing the content providers to charge higher advertising rates.  Asking the delivery services to provide a kick back to the content providers in addition is just pure B.S.

RickNeff

I agree -- Expecting Dish, and essentially Dish customers, to shell out money for an OTA station that obtains its money via advertising is absurd. TMJ4 deserves to be kicked off Dish, IMHO.

budda

In the last year I have upgraded my receivers. Prior to that my dish bill showed no locals. As of the up grade locals are not a choice you must take locals and is not broken down on your bill. Costumers under an old agreement or month to month would also remain as they were until a letter at some point comes out. I only state this because of the," well my bill says this and my brothers bill ya da ya da.

Now for the meat. The reason I never had locals is, were I live, have no line of site for HD locals. I don't watch SD locals. HD locals are on another sat. What people will have to do without a provided channel 4 is OTA. If you get OTA channels they will scan into any HD receiver with the OTA option. Only down side is guide. The guide will say ,4-1,"digital service" and no info. Have to do manual timers on DVR but really not that big a deal. Since my upgrade my cost went up 5 dollars a months to basically give me guide info. Hope this helps anyone thinking they may have to go with out.:guitar:

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: budda;57299As of the up grade locals are not a choice you must take locals and is not broken down on your bill. Costumers under an old agreement or month to month would also remain as they were until a letter at some point comes out.

Thanks for the update.  I wasn't aware that locals were now required.  

I am guessing they figured the local stations are going to keep wanting more money, so they might as well distribute that cost over the widest possible group of customers, and if OTA viewers want to do it the hard way, they don't see much cost in providing a minimal accommodation to them.