• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Tonight's debate

Started by WITI6fan, Friday Oct 08, 2010, 08:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WITI6fan

It appears it was produced in 720p, even though MPTV has been able to produce things in 1080i before. Did anyone in other areas see it in 1080i on other stations? Was WTMJ just airing it wrong? Or is MPTV just failing at HD again?

:bang:

Xizer

MPTV is a big bag of fail now. They broadcast at 720p now instead of PBS native 1080i.

Speaking of the debates, does anyone know the details for Oct 11's? What channel will it air on and time?

Nels Harvey

WMVS cameras are 1080i quality.  Was the high quality signal lost in transmission to Ch. 4?
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

WITI6fan

Quote from: Nels Harvey;56371WMVS cameras are 1080i quality.  Was the high quality signal lost in transmission to Ch. 4?

Everything seemed softer than usual. Maybe it's just me. I looked at screen captures of last night and the debate WTMJ produced a few weeks back and they're both so grainy and have so much pixelation in them... And WTMJ calls themselves "Full HD". Yeah right.

mrschimpf

What also bugged me last night was when I was listening to the debate on WTMJ Radio the first three minutes of the debate somehow had the Spanish SAP audio on, so I switched over to WVCY's broadcast of the debate which didn't have the problems at all (and it had much better sound). I had recorded the debate on Windows Media Center for later viewing and the same thing, Spanish audio in the background on WTMJ-TV, so it must've been a direct simulcast of the TV station on the radio.

I would listen to it on public radio usually but WTMJ's asinine demand to schedule the debates on Fridays took precedence forced it on a night where many Ideas Network affiliates air local programming instead (where I am, Hmong programming). I know the only reason they did it is because they could preempt Dateline without many complaints, but do they also forget that many of the radio stations which would air the debate usually carry high school football instead?

I know we're all about TV here, but I hate that WTMJ seems to have all the cards when it comes to scheduling the debates. I much prefer debates produced by WPT, WISN and other stations around the state because not only are they less pandering to the candidates, they schedule them when people would watch because it's a basic public service, not because WTMJ and MPTV would rather pre-empt a little watched show.

WITI6fan

Quote from: mrschimpf;56376What also bugged me last night was when I was listening to the debate on WTMJ Radio the first three minutes of the debate somehow had the Spanish SAP audio on, so I switched over to WVCY's broadcast of the debate which didn't have the problems at all (and it had much better sound). I had recorded the debate on Windows Media Center for later viewing and the same thing, Spanish audio in the background on WTMJ-TV, so it must've been a direct simulcast of the TV station on the radio.

WTMJ has been having problems with the SAP channel ending up on the main feed. Last weekend it happened a couple times, the times I can remember was the Law and Order (?) that aired after SNL and the football game last Sunday.

The debate was pretty embarrassing though as midway through the open the SAP translator said "I can't hear it!" :D

mrschimpf

Quote from: WITI6fan;56377WTMJ has been having problems with the SAP channel ending up on the main feed. Last weekend it happened a couple times, the times I can remember was the Law and Order (?) that aired after SNL and the football game last Sunday.

The debate was pretty embarrassing though as midway through the open the SAP translator said "I can't hear it!" :D

They've been having major problems with "The Unit" (the show after SNL) since it premiered. First the SAP week, and then when they got complaints, they reaired it again last week; in 4:3 Stretch-o-Vision across the 16:9 frame :rolleyes:.

This week it worked much better; I guess they have so little syndicated programming they don't know how to air it anymore.

wxndave

Nels is correct about the debate was produced in 1080i.  There were two satellite feeds available for both the TMJ and the MPTV debates.  There was a 1080i HD and and a 480i SD feed.