News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

bigger antenna or bigger preamp for OTA?

Started by jimmymke, Tuesday Sep 28, 2010, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmymke

Greetings.  This seems like a question that should have a clear answer, but perhaps not.
I live on the west end of Oconomowoc and enjoy only OTA programming.  I have a 4 bay Hoverman type antenna high on the mast pointed at Milwaukee and a second antenna mounted below pointed to Madison.  I have a Winegard 8700  preamp as well.  All MKE is fine, nearly always 100%.  But Madison, about 45 miles to the transmitters, gives me spotty or no reception for some channels depending on the weather.  I have a Philips tv with a very weak receiver compared to my Zinwell converter box.  I get much better reception when I go through the box.  Even with the box I don't get all the channels on any given day from Madison.

In anyone's opinion, would I be better off upgrading to an 8 bay antenna or upgrading the pre-amp to ensure Madison reception?  I'm leaning toward the antenna.  Any thoughts appreciated.
Jimmy

Jimboy

Difficult to amplify what you cannot see. "Yoda"

I'd start with the antenna. Also if you have both antennas connected together they may be causing havoc with each other. Try them separately if that's the case.

jkane

Yep ... if all you see is noise, all you can amplify is noise.  Amplifiers do not bring in distant stations that are not at least viewable.  They help with long cable runs and distribution setups to multiple TV's.

The antenna is the key here.

jimmymke

Quote from: jkane;56314Yep ... if all you see is noise, all you can amplify is noise.  Amplifiers do not bring in distant stations that are not at least viewable.  They help with long cable runs and distribution setups to multiple TV's.

The antenna is the key here.

Well, I don't see a lot of noise, just spotty/up and down signal strength.   Both antennae are combined into one lead to the  amp.  I know a 4 bay isn't strong enough for longer distances, so I wondered which would be a better investment, the amp or the 8 bay.  Thanks.  Will work on that before snow flies. Also, I have tried them separately but haven't improved reception.
Jim

Jimboy

Quote from: jimmymke;56320Well, I don't see a lot of noise, just spotty/up and down signal strength.   Both antennae are combined into one lead to the  amp.  I know a 4 bay isn't strong enough for longer distances, so I wondered which would be a better investment, the amp or the 8 bay.  Thanks.  Will work on that before snow flies. Also, I have tried them separately but haven't improved reception.
Jim

What jkane probably meant was noise as in no or extremely weak signal at the antenna. You need to catch the signal first before you can attempt to amplify it.

jkane

What he said.  :)  Noise is static which is nothing which is lack of a strong signal which is ... anything you don't want to have!  It's a word for not getting what you want to see.