• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Dish Might Shut Down Their DVR

Started by Bebop, Tuesday May 11, 2010, 12:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluto

Quote from: Bebop;55542http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/10/dish-network-faces-dvr-shutdown-1q-profit-falls/

Man, a DVR shutdown would be pretty drastic.  They can expect to lose a lot of customers.  I have D* - if they did that, I'd drop them as soon as I could get through to a CSR.

jkane

Kind of misleading.  It's only the older DVR models, not the new ones.  I think the numbers they quoted are inflated.  Of course Charlie wants people to believe it's a horrible thing so he gets sympathy from some places.  I do have a couple of those older models, but shutting them down would only mean I have to upgrade, not get rid of Dish.  I would, of course, expect a good deal on the upgraded receiver!  That will cost Dish something.

Jack 1000

Quote from: jkane;55544Kind of misleading.  It's only the older DVR models, not the new ones.  I think the numbers they quoted are inflated.  Of course Charlie wants people to believe it's a horrible thing so he gets sympathy from some places.  I do have a couple of those older models, but shutting them down would only mean I have to upgrade, not get rid of Dish.  I would, of course, expect a good deal on the upgraded receiver!  That will cost Dish something.

What do the newer model DVR's have that the older model's don't, where the later DVR units would not be affected by the shutdown?

Don't all Dish and Direct TV subs get a DVR as a part of their service?  I know you can upgrade to something called Integrated TIVO.  Details please.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

jkane

The lawsuit specifies model numbers that are effected.  The suit has been going on for many years.  Dish has released many new models since the suit began.  All of the later models were not in the lawsuit and are not part of it.  The new models have software written specifically to not be infringing on TiVo patents.

That does not mean TiVo can't sue again and add them, but that would take another 5-10 years!  :rolleyes:

No, not all receivers are DVR's.  Some are just receivers.

For instance, my 501's are part of the suit and "could" be shut down.  But they are cheap and easily replaced if that happens.  My 722 is much more expensive, and important to me.  But it is not named in the suit, and should not be shut down as part of it.  My 301 is not a DVR so no problem there either.  Of course that would be ironic if it were shut down since it is attached to a TiVo Series 2 for recording stuff from it!  If TiVo did that, they would shoot themselves in the foot as it would just tick me off enough to get rid of the TiVo too and replace it with a 922 or something newer like that from Dish!

If my 501's get killed, no big deal. It's time to upgrade them anyhow.  Just waiting on the 922 bugs to get worked out.  If I had to upgrade them sooner, so be it!  I'd get a bigger hard drive, which is really the only downfall of the 501.

But ... since this is an HD forum, I don't think any of the HD DVR's from Dish are in the lawsuit!  ;)  Just the SD ones.  I might be wrong since I only care about what is in my house.  :p  The 301 and 501 are SD only.  The 722 and 922 are HD capable.