• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner Problem Count Thread

Started by WITI6fan, Tuesday Mar 23, 2010, 04:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

Quote from: RealChili;55550Friendly yes, helpful, not so much. They just suggested a tech to check my line strength, which they can do from the home office. I had my friend who works for TWC check my box health and line strength this am and both are outstanding.

Hoping the underground blog works. So far though, no news. Day 8 and counting without ABC or CBS HD.

Have you actually had a tech out to look at the issue? Or are you relying solely on the remote diagnostics that your friend ran?

RealChili

Quote from: ddeerrff;55553When they do this from the head end, aren't they just checking at one specific frequency?  You may have some notches in the line frequency response that the remote diagnostics can't see.

I went to switch out the box after they told me the CBS and ABC HD frequencies are very close and many times the boxes cannot tell the difference and get confused. Only took three weeks but the new online help via Twitter kept pestering the local office for 2 weeks to try and get me an answer. I give him props for that - but the local Milwaukee service took their sweet time. I am moving next month and never thought I would switch away but I will have to look at D* and At&t.

Jack 1000

Quote from: RealChili;55604I went to switch out the box after they told me the CBS and ABC HD frequencies are very close and many times the boxes cannot tell the difference and get confused. Only took three weeks but the new online help via Twitter kept pestering the local office for 2 weeks to try and get me an answer. I give him props for that - but the local Milwaukee service took their sweet time. I am moving next month and never thought I would switch away but I will have to look at D* and At&t.

What was the final response from our division's office?  Next time you get a run-around like that, I would just call and just say nicely, "I need to speak to a supervisor for a problem that has not been resolved."  I did that once and it worked out great!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Small problem just started last night,

I use the POWER button to turn the TV and box on and off simultaneously.  What's happening is that it takes about 15 seconds or so after seeing the picture for the box to respond to commands such as changing channels and brining up Menus.  After that 15 seconds or so following the inital turning on of the box, it works normally.  A reboot of the box and changing of the batteries did not seem to help.

I am in the Brookfield area, with an SA-8300 HD (MDN) box.

Jack

gparris

I don't use your method for powering up or down, but the Milwaukee Journal reported that during one of their routine maint., they lost service early this AM and now supposedly, its all okay.
Last night I had a RRunner outage in my area, so its anyone's guess what TWC was doing, but that is what was happening, it could have been that...or not.:huh?:

Jack 1000

Seems OK here too,

But what I don't understand is why they do not have a notice of scheduled maintenance times along with some communications as to time of completion?  Customers should be able to go to any local website, see that system maintenance is being done, along with a completion time.

Their current method is "Guess what we might be doing when service is out and call to get a busy signal."  There needs to be a 100% improvement turnaround in customer communication in dealing with service outages.

Jack

gparris

Yes, we just had another RoadRunner outage, not HDTV (yet) again.
This is too bad, because that is what most subs keep subscribing to, as they might eliminate TV service or reduce it somewhat, but usually they keep the RR service above all else. Downloading HDTV shows, data, etc., it's quite important to have the internet up, IMO.;)
-Something weird must be happening to TWC service lately...ugh.:mad:

cnjbucks

I was wondering if anyone has had alot of pixelation and choppy sound with HD channels?  Every morning this week I have had to reboot my DVR box to get the choppiness and sound restored, sometimes twice.  I am worried it might be the box since we have a second DVR, and that doesn't do this, it is just slow to respond to channel changes.

gparris

This morning, about 8AM I tried watching the SDV HD channels and most of them are out in my area.
The Science HD channel is still working, but no HD premium or even HD showcase channels are available -  or  - even showing up with a yellow triangle telling me to push it to try the channel again. :bang:

This really sucks, as I have company staying over and TWC is acting up again, I am a good subscriber and now this...ugh.
(BTW, TWC, they have Dishnetwork and wondered if this is "standard fare for TWC service, live in Chicagoland and never had cable.):rolleyes:

I told them as far as cable Wisconsin is sort of backward in this way, but don't let it be the whole thing, it's a pretty great place, overall.:D
Anyway, I was hoping to keep them busy watching some HDTV when I left on quick trips to clients houses this morning.

EDIT: I had to reboot the boxes (unplug and wait, then plug in again), then they could watch HDTV, but the odd thing is the few HD channels that were available without the reboot.
Maybe this is TWC adding more HD channels again and this is how its done?::huh?:

cnjbucks

As a followup to my post on 7/1, I replaced my DVR and the problem went away.  I now have a Samsung box instead of the Scientific Atlanta boxes.

Now, i'll be watching the ESPN/Time Warner dispute closely.  If Time Warner loses ESPN, bye bye to TW!

gparris

Quote from: cnjbucks;55922As a followup to my post on 7/1, I replaced my DVR and the problem went away.  I now have a Samsung box instead of the Scientific Atlanta boxes.

Now, i'll be watching the ESPN/Time Warner dispute closely.  If Time Warner loses ESPN, bye bye to TW!

Are the Samsung HD DVR boxes any faster than the 8300HDC's?:huh?:

I have a 8300HD and a 8300HDC and the HDC limps along in comparison...:bang:

Jack 1000

Brookfield on TWC

Brief intermittent loss of picture signal this morning in like half second increments at random intervals through shows.  Started on VOD. They occurred in approximate 20 minute durations.

Jack

Jack 1000

Yesterday, some pixiation and flickering on and off of HD stations.

Today: HD stations are flickering on and off ALL THE TIME! The SD channels appear to be normal and not affected. To illustrate, users might want to try the HD version of the Wisconsin Football game on channel 1012 for TWC.  Now, go back to SD channel 12.  The SD station shows no flickering.

Jack

gparris

My 8300HD and 8300HDC were both experiencing heavy pixelation, picture breakups on many channels, including the playbacks...it really stunk.:bang:

I tried rebooting both DVRs and it seemed to help, but there still was some afterwards, maybe TWC is doing its so-called "maintenance" like it did last time and we lost many of the HD channels altogether and now, just junky transmissions....ugh.:rolleyes:

If I keep getting a discount on my HD service, maybe I should ask for more of discount on my bill, too, eh?:D

Jack 1000

Getting A LOT of Pixiation today on the On-Demand Channels.  One of the Spanish stations that I sometimes watch boxing on has not come in well for the last several days.  Some stations/shows pixiate more than others.  (VOD Channel 438)

Could not watch Price is Right Wednesday due to Pixiation on the special 1pm showing on channel 1005 (TWC-CBS-58 HD.)

Untangled Blog for TWC does mention that Sun Spot interference may affect some channels for about 10-15 minutes during the afternoon from about 1-5pm from October 2-12.  But the On-Demand Pixiation was at night.

TWC could be getting ready to add the HD channels cited on the Wisconsin site soon, which could account for the breakup, but I don't think so.

Jack