News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New bright white FOX 6 In HD bug. Can you make it any more distracting?

Started by beeper, Tuesday Mar 16, 2010, 09:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeper

The new bright white (nearly solid) Fox 6 in HD bug shown during prime time is offensive.

Until recently, Fox 6 was inline with the other major networks, using the networks nearly transparent logo.

And to top it off, they need to use more screen real estate telling us that we are watching in HD, as if we didn't already know that.

oz

The most annoying bug for me is the bright red HD square that WTMJ 4 uses during their newscasts.  I swear that thing is going to burn into my plasma screen.  But at least they take it away when the news is over.  Why can't all logos be transparent?

REVM1M

More anoying then that is when the reporter reports from the field they alway say so and so tmj4 HD. We get it, after a year , we know tmj4 is HD :bang:

Mark Strube

There will be a point where it becomes silly to point out something is in 'HD.' Just like now it would be silly to point out something being in 'Color.' However, we are still far from that point... might as well get used to it.

LoadStar

Quote from: beeper;55157The new bright white (nearly solid) Fox 6 in HD bug shown during prime time is offensive.

Until recently, Fox 6 was inline with the other major networks, using the networks nearly transparent logo.

And to top it off, they need to use more screen real estate telling us that we are watching in HD, as if we didn't already know that.

Other than being less transparent, this logo is just a slight revision of what they used before:

beeper

Quote from: LoadStar;55164Other than being less transparent, this logo is just a slight revision of what they used before:

That's not the newest Fox 6 logo that I noticed yesterday 3/15/10 during prime time (House & 24).

The new logo is almost solid white and actually states, "in HD" under Fox 6.

Previously, during select prime time (House, Idol, 24), just the transparent letters FOX were used.
Some programs did use the Fox 6 HD logo shown above.

Network bug previously used, and the new Fox 6 bug.
The much more transparent network bug isn't bright even on a black background.

Matt Heebner

I too think the new logo is very annoying. WAY too white, and to actually have the word 'in' in the logo is kind of idiotic.....

mrschimpf

Quote from: Matt Heebner;55168I too think the new logo is very annoying. WAY too white, and to actually have the word 'in' in the logo is kind of idiotic.....

It had to be updated; the bug was two years behind their logo redesign and I don't even really notice it at all since it's tucked away nice and tight within the corner instead of out there in the middle of the 4:3 frame like the other networks. Also it does tell you it's in HD for a reason; it can only been seen on the widescreen feed.

The only thing I would change is the silly cursive font they have "in" in.

beeper

Quote from: mrschimpf;55169I don't even really notice it at all since it's tucked away nice and tight within the corner instead of out there in the middle of the 4:3 frame like the other networks.

True, the new Fox 6 bug is just outside of the 4:3 area, while the network bug is within the corner of the 4:3 area. From a normal viewing distance, both are for all practical purposes in the corner of eyesight. The bright white bug is without a doubt much more noticeable. I believe the only bug more noticeable would be the RTV 6.2 bug.

Quote from: mrschimpf;55169Also it does tell you it's in HD for a reason; it can only been seen on the widescreen feed.

Right, those watching with a converter box zoomed on a 4:3 TV don't have the distraction.

People that know they have an HDTV and are watching a WS HD program, have to be told.

I noticed that the local bug isn't used during Idol.
I'm guessing that's either because it's a live feed, or the network doesn't want their flagship programing to be defaced.

Fox 6 should take lessons from 58's method.
58 shows the local bug for a short time after a commercial to inform those not knowing what channel they are tuned to, and then the local bug is removed.

After all, how long do you have to be told which channel you are watching before it sinks in?

LoadStar

Quote from: beeper;55183I'm guessing that's either because it's a live feed, or the network doesn't want their flagship programing to be defaced.

There's some additional talk about the bugs in this thread, but it's not that they don't want their programming to be defaced - it's purely a rights issue. For major shows like AI and sports events where clips of it are likely to be rebroadcast by others, they want the FOX logo to be front and center.

mrschimpf

Quote from: beeper;55183Right, those watching with a converter box zoomed on a 4:3 TV don't have the distraction.

People that know they have an HDTV and are watching a WS HD program, have to be told.

Actually you're right on that; WLUK in Green Bay just shows the station logo, along with WXMI in Grand Rapids during primetime. Mostly the Fox-owned and Local TV-owned stations like WITI emphasize the "HD"-ness. I forgot that and I apologize.

mrschimpf

I noticed tonight that the transparency of the logo has become much deeper now, at the level of the regular Fox logo so it's now not as distracting as it has been when it introduced.

However, the softball jersey font "in" remains yet.

foxeng

I can't directly comment on what WITI's graphics look like (because I haven't seen them), but it sounds to me from what you guys are saying and  from what I know of the graphics system WITI is using, the graphic artists are getting a better handle on the system and how to use it.

I can tell you that the VIZrt system they are using, ain't no Chyron. From what I have seen of both systems, VIZrt is a Maserati  when compared to the Chyron which is like a Camero.

With Chyron you "create" graphics the old fashion way with Liberty and Photoshop. With VIZrt you "program" graphics like a video game. That is the difference and why FOX, CNN (a supped up VIZrt is what did the "holograms" during the elections on CNN, Chyron couldn't do it) and other large production houses have switched from Chyron to VIZrt and there is a HUGE learning curve with it since you have to completely rethink how you do things when creating graphics with it.

IMHO, VIZrt is the better system overall with MUCH more capability than a Chyron. I speak from first hand knowledge of seeing both systems demoed with the best and brightest of each system at the controls. Both companies have impressive systems, but VIZrt beats the pants off Chyron head to head in overall capabilities.

My guess is you will see over time the graphics will get better and more impressive as the staff at WITI gets more comfortable with it. YMMV.

trev57

Well, everybody got their wish....2 years after the fact. FOX 6 replaced the "FOX6 in HD" bug tonight with a smaller version of their transparent FOX6 bug used on syndicated shows.