• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New TWC HD Channels in Test Mode!!!

Started by Jack 1000, Wednesday Nov 04, 2009, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

I hate to say this too loudly, since in general more HD is better, but I'm actually satisfied with the quantity and selection of HD that we have now. I don't think that I've tuned out of the HD block at all since the last block of channels were added.

I'd be much happier if the pixelation would be worked on/eliminated, instead of additional channels being added. At this point, most of the HD channels are OK, but Syfy and BBC America stand out in my mind as being particularly bad, especially during prime-time.

Brendan

What is the Game2 HD channel? I never found the "original" Game HD on my guide, even though it was supposedly added last month. There was also a Team HD channel that I never got either. I have all the other channels that are supposed to be available, but I can't find any channels called "Game" or "Team" in HD or SD.

klwillis45

Those are the HD channels for inDemand's season sports packages like MLB Extra Innings & NBA League Pass.

tencom

Did anyone ever do a data rate check on TWC HD cable channels. I am willing to bet that they use a data rate much lower then required, for good picture quality. Like most providers,  they would sacrifice PQ for quantity, knowing most viewers don't mind semi-HD.  All MPEG-2 HD video should be at the full ATSC data-rate
of 19.2 megabits per second

klwillis45

Has anyone seen the Viacom test channels work yet? Everytime I flip there I get the "Press A" screen.

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;54568Thanks GP,

Here are the PLACE HOLDERS for the new HD channels.

MTV-HD-1960
Comedy Central-HD-1961 (Labeled as Comedy Central HD On Demand?)
Spike-HD 1962
Bet HD-1963
Nick-HD 1964
VH1-HD 1965
CMT-HD 1966
Game2-HD-1967

In checking with other divisions, the roll-out for these channels is anywhere from January 18th to January 31.  Video will probably be on those channels by next Monday, with the channels in regular slots, (adding a 1 to the SD station) before the end of the month.

So with these additions, where is TWC-Milwaukee for HD channels, like 90 stations?  We are getting closer to the Satellite and U-Verse guys for HD, finally!

Jack

All of the NEW HD stations are now showing up on my box in their TEST MODE POSITIONS indicated above.  Remember, they will not be in the guide's time grid, but you should be able to find them through Category and Keyboard Searches and DVR subs can record them this way.

Launch of them in the time grid by adding a 1 to their SD channel locations, will probably be available by early to middle of next week.  The only station not coming in is.

1967-Game 2 HD

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;54620All of the NEW HD stations are now showing up on my box in their TEST MODE POSITIONS indicated above.  Remember, they will not be in the guide's time grid, but you should be able to find them through Category and Keyboard Searches and DVR subs can record them this way.

Launch of them in the time grid by adding a 1 to their SD channel locations, will probably be available by early to middle of next week.  The only station not coming in is.

1967-Game 2 HD

Jack

Update:  The test channels are not showing up in the search elements of the guide.  Additionally, you cannot channel up/down through them.  Video is still available, BUT you must enter each channel individually to watch it.  Post updates as they may occur.

Jack

Brendan

So, now that these channels are in test mode, I'm getting tons of pixelization and stuttering, not just on those test channels, but on other HD channels like TBS and TNT. Am I the only one? Seems like this happens whenever they try to add new HD channels; I doubt it's coincidental.

greg210

Quote from: Brendan;54622So, now that these channels are in test mode, I'm getting tons of pixelization and stuttering, not just on those test channels, but on other HD channels like TBS and TNT. Am I the only one? Seems like this happens whenever they try to add new HD channels; I doubt it's coincidental.

Same here. Only on the HD channels that aren't local. This happens everytime they do this. You call tech support and they have no clue. They want to send out a tech!!! It will clear...............:(

Jack 1000

They are off again, but were on earlier today.  This is a perfect example why it is so stupid that management never tells the CSR's what's going on when engineering is working on something!

Jack

LoadStar

Time Warner submitted the new channels to Tribune Media Services, which I would assume means that they are due to be added very shortly.

(This evening, I received a PTCM, a Pre-TiVo Central Message about the new additions, which happens after Tribune adds the new channels to the lineup.)

According to the message, the new channels added are:
1103 - Nickelodeon HD
1206 - Spike HD
1207 - Comedy Central HD
1216 - BET HD
1250 - MTV HD
1252 - VH1 HD
1254 - CMT HD

For me, I get:
1103: Channel not provided by the Tuning Adapter
1206: Nothing, black screen
1207: Searching for signal on: Cable In
1216: Nothing, black screen
1250: Nothing, black screen
1252: Nothing, black screen
1254: Nothing, black screen

So, clearly, not ready for prime time yet. :p

Jack 1000

Quote from: LoadStar;54696Time Warner submitted the new channels to Tribune Media Services, which I would assume means that they are due to be added very shortly.

(This evening, I received a PTCM, a Pre-TiVo Central Message about the new additions, which happens after Tribune adds the new channels to the lineup.)

According to the message, the new channels added are:
1103 - Nickelodeon HD
1206 - Spike HD
1207 - Comedy Central HD
1216 - BET HD
1250 - MTV HD
1252 - VH1 HD
1254 - CMT HD

For me, I get:
1103: Channel not provided by the Tuning Adapter
1206: Nothing, black screen
1207: Searching for signal on: Cable In
1216: Nothing, black screen
1250: Nothing, black screen
1252: Nothing, black screen
1254: Nothing, black screen

So, clearly, not ready for prime time yet. :p

They had them active (audio/video) in test mode about five days ago.  Than there was so much pixiation that they took them down.  (This happens most of the time when they add new channels.)  They were placeholders as recently as earlier today.  Don't know if they are back on as of this writing.

If they are not active yet, they should be in regular positions by February 1st.  (Some areas of New York got them today.)

Jack

LoadStar

*sigh* And so much for that. Another PTCM this evening, announcing that every single one of the above added channels is now gone again.

Jack 1000

Quote from: LoadStar;54704*sigh* And so much for that. Another PTCM this evening, announcing that every single one of the above added channels is now gone again.

I think they will still be on soon.  I think they might be having trouble because of the sub-channels being added.  After they get these stations in place, it may be time for an expansion of bandwidth before adding more HD.  After these stations come out, I think we will have about everything that the competition has for HD

If TWC could  get everyone to a Digital Only subscription, removing channels 2-99 and putting whatever is missing from that area on digital 100 or above, it would free up so much space!  But they might be afriad of losing Standard Service only subs if they did that.

Any approximate date from TWC on those channels for our area?  This is the first time that they had video in Test Mode and took it off again.

Jack

Jack 1000

Nothing yet on those Viacom channels!

I did e-mail Tim Cuprisin and did not get a response.  Called TWC last night and as usuall, they did not know anything.  The CSR said to check Wisconsin VOD for when those channels come out.  I thought she was full of **** because TWC has never to my knowledge put announcements about new channels on Wisconsin On Demand!

But if you tune to TWC digital channel 411 (WOD) and go to Tim Cuprisin's "On Media" show, it looks like he is going to be providing updates about cable on WOD channel 411, so that could be what the CSR was talking about.

Some divisions got those Viacom channels on January 27th.  Some got them today, which is February 3rd, and I heard that some other divisions are set to get them on February 11th.  If you hear anything from our Milwaukee division on those channels, please post!  Thanks in advance.

Jack