News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Antenna Coax Cable Questions

Started by Buy_The_Tie, Sunday Oct 04, 2009, 03:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buy_The_Tie

I'm going to be re-installing my Radio Shack UHF only on my roof soon.

When I originally installed it, I used el-cheapo RG-6 cable purchased at the local hardware store.  This cable has a solid center, and the shield is primarily foil with just a few strands of wire .

I had trouble with the installation, especially with higher frequency UHF channels.

I've been told that better cable could make the whole system work better.  A cable with a very dense braided shield instead of the foil is better and has less loss.

What has everybody else's experience been with various qualities of cable?

Where is a good source for "good" cable here in Milwaukee?

Marmax will sell some Chinese made cable by the foot, but requires the purchase of 1000' to get the "better" USA made cable.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

ArgMeMatey

The stuff Time Warner put in my house in 2001 was Commscope F660BVV.  If you Google that you should be able to get a spec sheet and see some vendors.   If buying in a quantity less than 500 or 1000 feet, your options are probably limited to the big boxes or maybe an independent installer that would sell you something out of their shop.  

The stuff I have added is the better quality connectorized 25- and 50-footers from Home Depot or Menards.  I think they say they're sweep tested to 2200 MHz or whatever.  

If you're doing your own connectors, the right stripper and compression tool, and the better connectors may make a big difference.  That is, round compression is better than hex crimp.  

When you're doing outdoor installation make sure you weatherproof stuff so that water will drain from any connections.  Still, I would periodically check the connectors for water and corrosion.  I am not sure if you can use No-ox or something comparable for RF cables.

Regarding low signal levels on higher channels, you may just need a preamp on the antenna.   Depends on your signal strength at that point.

mhz40

Go with TFC or Commscope and use the right compression tool for the fitting or you will just be wasting your time and money.  The outer jacket on the cheap stuff may not even be UV stable and could crack or dry-out from exposure to the sun.  Whatever you buy, DO NOT accept the coax is deformed (out-of-round)... it's no good.

If you use Snap-n-seal fittings, you won't have to weatherproof any fittings.  They are water-tight.  Be sure you have the right RG6 connector for you specific wire type...  it's not one-size-fits-all.

I'd use RG6 for distribution to the wall plate(s), but transition to RG59 to your gear from there.  As you mentioned, a foil shield with 60% braid should be fine for your application.  Quad shield is a bit overkill and it's tougher to route between studs.
The center conductor of RG6 can sometimes damage the coax inputs due to the center conductor diameter.

jfelbab

Try these guys.  I've used them on several occasions and they only handle top quality products.

http://www.marmaxdistribution.com/
6802 West Rawson Avenue  Franklin, Wisconsin

Their website claims to have Commscope.

Buy_The_Tie

Quote from: jfelbab;53737Try these guys.  I've used them on several occasions and they only handle top quality products.

http://www.marmaxdistribution.com/
6802 West Rawson Avenue  Franklin, Wisconsin

Their website claims to have Commscope.

That is precisely where I went.  I purchased a length of Vanco cable from them.  They were very helpful, knowledgeable, and patient.

I've installed my Radio-Scrap antenna on the roof, then I used this cable to connect it all the way through to the TV in the living room.  Now, signal levels on all of the channels I want to watch are good.

An added benefit, is that now that 58.1 comes in good, my Panasonic (analog) DVR is now getting consistently good TVGOS (TV Guide On-Screen) data via my DTVPal.

Woo Hoo! :guitar:

bschlafer

I'll second the comment on using the correct connector and crimper.

I've purchased stuff from these guys in the past: http://www.summitsource.com/
Top quality stuff and knowledgeable staff.

Be sure you ground the antenna mast properly.  Sometimes an ungrounded, or incorrectly grounded, antenna can inject unwanted noise.  Not to mention minimizing the lightning strike threat.

Good luck.

*Bill