News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Why DirecTV sucks

Started by joeker, Saturday Aug 15, 2009, 01:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeker

1. No HBO On Demand - it's pretty ridiculous they don't have this.
2. The HD DVR receiver is a steaming pile of crap - slow, laggy and unresponsive half the time.  An old computer with 64mb of RAM and Windows 95 would be faster
3. I just went online and added the DTV Sports pack to my account....all my channels went out with the 721 message, after rebooting the receiver I call CS and they are unable to fix the problem and have to escalate it to the "command center" which means I might get a call back tomorrow about it.

No Packer/Brewers game for me tonight.  No I dont have an antenna on my house to pick up any OTA channels

/rant

Bebop

Did they tried to delete all you packages and then add them back again?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

AndrewP

I don't know what you wanted to accomplish by addidng the Sports pack. I think it is worthless package, because all pro games are blacked out. I have it not becuse I wanted it, but because it is included with everything pack.
As far as the speed of HDDVR, you can improve it by turning off Native on resolution setting in the menu.
DirectTV rocks:rock:

Steve Mann

Quote from: AndrewP;53149DirectTV rocks:rock:

+1  :guitar:
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

joeker

Quote from: AndrewP;53149I don't know what you wanted to accomplish by addidng the Sports pack. I think it is worthless package, because all pro games are blacked out. I have it not becuse I wanted it, but because it is included with everything pack.
As far as the speed of HDDVR, you can improve it by turning off Native on resolution setting in the menu.
DirectTV rocks:rock:

To get the soccer leagues coverage

DirecTV is better than cable but it still sucks....again No HBO On Demand, and Native resolution has been turned off and the HDDVR receiver is still laggy and slow, it's just a piece of crap equipment and it's pretty lame they haven't come out with a newer one that can handle what it's supposed to do.

Yeah...when I ordered the sports pack, they shut off everything else, so had to go through and get it all turned back on.  Makes sense that when you order a new package online, the others automatically go away /sarcasm

Sorry if I actually expect near perfect service for the $200 a month I pay

gparris

Well, HBO and the other HD premiums are not in HD with On-Demand, anyway, exception being the Smithsonian HD On-Demand channel with TWC, so you are not missing anything, anyway for comparison.;)

With Directv and other providers, at least you get more than 4 HD channel premiums as with TWC, as many, if not most HD channel premium channels are available in HD already with Directv and others -  so all you have to do is DVR them for later use on what I assume is a bigger HDD than TWC has, too.

As for slow and clunky, try the 8300HDC boxes from TWC for fun sometime...yuck.:eek:

Bebop

Quote from: joeker;53161T

Sorry if I actually expect near perfect service for the $200 a month I pay

Actually, for that you'll need the Titanium package. :)

http://www.directv.com/titanium/index.html

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

RLJSlick

Well I will agree with out on the HD Receivers being junk!  The last update have rendered this boxes to the most laggy, almost usely things I have ever had the chance to use.  They was now way slower then the TWC cable boxes.
And when I called them to find out if there was something I can do about it, the dude was like "oh well".  Then I remembered him that I was in my last few months of my contract and then he start talking like he cared.  I told him to forget it and hungup.
Trying to decide if I want to go back to that other evil TWC.

Quote from: joeker;531281. No HBO On Demand - it's pretty ridiculous they don't have this.
2. The HD DVR receiver is a steaming pile of crap - slow, laggy and unresponsive half the time.  An old computer with 64mb of RAM and Windows 95 would be faster
3. I just went online and added the DTV Sports pack to my account....all my channels went out with the 721 message, after rebooting the receiver I call CS and they are unable to fix the problem and have to escalate it to the "command center" which means I might get a call back tomorrow about it.

No Packer/Brewers game for me tonight.  No I dont have an antenna on my house to pick up any OTA channels

/rant
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

basshive

Threads like this are a joke. cmon.............

Quote1. No HBO On Demand - it's pretty ridiculous they don't have this.

While I would SURE like it if they did, if it was that important to me I would have checked for it before I signed on..  Now, as to why they do not have it, there are many threads explaining the requirements HBO has given Directv in order for them to provide this. Some searching online will reveal this to you but I certainly expect the service once the next bird is in service.

Quote2. The HD DVR receiver is a steaming pile of crap - slow, laggy and unresponsive half the time. An old computer with 64mb of RAM and Windows 95 would be faster

Why wouldn't you just get it replaced? Unlike TWC boxes, not every D* receiver exhibits the behavior you speak of. I do not have that problem on any of mine. They certainly are not lightning but have never been so slow as to impede usage.

Quote3. I just went online and added the DTV Sports pack to my account....all my channels went out with the 721 message, after rebooting the receiver I call CS and they are unable to fix the problem and have to escalate it to the "command center" which means I might get a call back tomorrow about it.

If you just said ok to this, I do not know what to tell you....
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Talos4

Quote from: joeker;44222Hello

I want to drop TWC and switch back to DTV.....I was just wondering what the deal was with ondemand programming on DirecTV?  Do they have VoD and the same selection as TW cable?

Thanks in advance

Quote from: joeker;46500Just switched back to DTV after being with TWC for 5 years, besides a few minor setup issues, it's been great, big upgrade imo.  The VOD is great. Only thing I am missing is HBO ondemand, anyone know if and when DTV will be adding this?

Buyers remorse?

You asked many times about this and got the same answer several times yet, you still went ahead and switched.  It really is irritating to listen to someone who was given the information that D* did not/does not have HBO on demand, and then continue to carp about D* not having what you wanted.

If you have a DVR and HBO I don't see the problem.

Maybe it's just me :huh?:

joeker

Quote from: basshive;53166Threads like this are a joke. cmon.............
While I would SURE like it if they did, if it was that important to me I would have checked for it before I signed on..  Now, as to why they do not have it, there are many threads explaining the requirements HBO has given Directv in order for them to provide this. Some searching online will reveal this to you but I certainly expect the service once the next bird is in service.

Why wouldn't you just get it replaced? Unlike TWC boxes, not every D* receiver exhibits the behavior you speak of. I do not have that problem on any of mine. They certainly are not lightning but have never been so slow as to impede usage.

If you just said ok to this, I do not know what to tell you....

I didn't say ok to it, the CS rep said there was nothing she could do.

From what I've read it's pretty common for this receiver to be completely laggy and slow, the posts in this thread will atest to that.  It would seem pretty useless to call them and replace a laggy receiver with another laggy receiver in the hopes that I will magically receive one that isn't a piece of crap.

As for the issues between HBO and DirecTV, I don't care.....as a consumer I could care less what their issues are, all I know is I want HBO on demand on DTV and the fact that they STILL don't have after all this time is still ridiculous.

Perhaps if people like you complained more instead of swallowing the excuses they feed you we'd have it by now, but no I imagine we'll wait another 2 years because people like you accept their excuses.

Quote from: Talos4;53168Buyers remorse?

You asked many times about this and got the same answer several times yet, you still went ahead and switched.  It really is irritating to listen to someone who was given the information that D* did not/does not have HBO on demand, and then continue to carp about D* not having what you wanted.

If you have a DVR and HBO I don't see the problem.

Maybe it's just me :huh?:

Yes definitely buyers remorse, what the hell do you think I'm complaining about? I miss HBO on demand and I think directv is severely lacking because of it

I am not a shill for them like you, I will keep complaining loud and clear until they add it and when they do, I will praise them for it, but until then I think people need to make it clear they want this on DTV.

And come on, you know the advantages of on demand over a DVR, especially HBO On Demand, or maybe you don't because you don't have it, because you have DirecTV.....go figure.

I remember when I had cable the selection of shows on HBO On demand was quite extensive.....give me HBO on demand and I can live with the crappy slow receiver.

Talos4

Quote from: joeker;53203

QuoteAs for the issues between HBO and DirecTV, I don't care.....as a consumer I could care less what their issues are, all I know is I want HBO on demand on DTV and the fact that they STILL don't have after all this time is still ridiculous.

I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!! I DON"T CARE WHY I CAN'T, I WANT IT!

QuoteI am not a shill for them like you, I will keep complaining loud and clear until they add it and when they do, I will praise them for it, but until then I think people need to make it clear they want this on DTV.

Excuse me,  I prefer "Fanboy", Shill sounds so cheap.

QuoteAnd come on, you know the advantages of on demand over a DVR, especially HBO On Demand, or maybe you don't because you don't have it, because you have DirecTV.....go figure.

Honestly, I could care less about on demand, I've downloaded a few things so what, big deal. My DVR right now has about 30% remaining on the hard drive. I search for shows and record them.

QuoteI remember when I had cable the selection of shows on HBO On demand was quite extensive.....give me HBO on demand and I can live with the crappy slow receiver

Then pay up to D* and go back to cable.

I've not argued the point regarding the receivers. They're not perfect but far from crap!

tencom

It would be Diffucult for a satellite service, like Direct TV to offer extensive ON DEMAND Program Selection with serveral million subscribers each demanding a different "On Demand" selection it would take to much satellite bandwith to accommadate serveral thousand selections since each satellite covers the entire nation, and would require several hundred satellites to offer a large selection od on demand programming.  Since cable uses a system that devides there service area into Node groups of about 500 homes in each node area they would only have to send programming  to each Node that was requiested by viewers in that node area making it much easier for cable to have a more extensive line-up of on demand programming then satellite.

Bebop

DirecTV also supplements their VOD via broadband.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

jeffski

Quote from: Talos4;53206

I WANT IT!! I WANT IT!! I DON"T CARE WHY I CAN'T, I WANT IT!

Excuse me,  I prefer "Fanboy", Shill sounds so cheap.

Honestly, I could care less about on demand, I've downloaded a few things so what, big deal. My DVR right now has about 30% remaining on the hard drive. I search for shows and record them.

Then pay up to D* and go back to cable.

I've not argued the point regarding the receivers. They're not perfect but far from crap!

Talos,I agree the downloading feature is killer. I use it often. Also love the networking with my pc feature. I don't miss TWC one bit. All I need them for is roadrunner. :D