News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WITI FOX 6 New Antenna

Started by AA9VI, Friday Jul 10, 2009, 10:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AA9VI

did anyone see the banner across the bottom of the screen last night saying FOX 6 will be replacing the current antenna with a new one?  it says this will take 3 weeks and is supposed to help reception to the outlying areas and the nearby low lying areas.   Does anyone know more about this?  Will the pattern change?

techguy1975

They are getting a new DTV antenna and placing it ant the top of the tower, replacing the old analog antenna.  The current DTV antenna is side mounted on the tower just a bit below the top

AA9VI

Are they donE with the project yet?

Talos4

Quote from: AA9VI;53153Are they donE with the project yet?

As of today, I would say no.

Looks like they just started running the conduit up the core of the tower.

Looks like the the antenna segments are on site though

SRW1000

On the 9:00 PM news tonight, they said the work should be completed by 9/20.

Scott

Northern Fringe

Apparently the work is in progress...
I came across this information on WUWM-FM 89.7's website.  It explains that they (WUWM) are operating on reduced power during the tower work since their antenna is on the same tower as FOX 6:  

Current Project Status as of 9/9/2009 3:25 p.m.

Tower crews are currently in the "Rigging" phase of the project. Crews are beginning to prep for removal of the Channel 6 analog antenna later this week. Some additional rigging is still required before the removal phase begins.

•Wednesday September 9th - Power reductions expected anytime between 8am - 5p.m.
•Thursday September 10th - Power reduction expected anytime between 8am - 5p.m.
•Friday September 11th - Power reductions expected anytime between 8am - 5pm
•Saturday September 12th - Power reductions possible between 8am - 5pm
•Sunday September 13th - Power reductions are not expected.
Continue to check this page for updates. We are also posting real-time updates on our reception status at Twitter. http://twitter.com/WUWMradio/

John L

They will avoid doing any power reductions or shut downs on Sunday due to the fact there are NFL games going on.  I believe 6 is carrying a NFL game. I wouldn't be surprised if it will be the Vikings game.

-John L.

AA9VI

Will WITI be the signal leader after this?  Time will tell....

I have WMVT, WDJT, and WPXE leading the pack today.

So, are we looking for some time at the end of next week before the work is complete?

Northern Fringe

Another update from WUWM's website:

Current Project Status as of 9/13/2009 8:25 p.m.

Tower crews are changing the order of the work and are getting ready to replace the aviation obstruction lights this week. This should provide some relief to WUWM listeners over the next two weeks as much of the work does not involve WUWM's antenna. The lights are being changed out to high efficiency LED technology which uses 90% less electricity. The crew is expected to resume the replacement of the Channel 6 antenna towards the end of the month.

wxndave

So WMVS isn't leading the pack with their signal?

AA9VI

Quote from: wxndave;53541So WMVS isn't leading the pack with their signal?

sarcasm, I hope.  Actually, when I had the bigger VHF antenna on the roof it didn't do too bad.

Northern Fringe

The latest update from WUWM regarding the FOX6 antenna replacement:

Current Project Status as of 9/24/2009 11:25 a.m.

Removal and replacement of the Channel 6 Antenna has been delayed until after September 28th. Tower crews discovered a problem with some hoisting cables that require replacement before the bulk of the project can resume. In the mean time a few outages have been scheduled in order to replace the red obstruction lights on the tower with eco-friendly LED technology. Listeners should be aware that another block of outages is expected to happen between September 28th and October 9th as the project is completed.

•Thursday September 24th - Power reduction 8:00a.m. to install new tower lights
•Friday September 25th - Possible reduction to replace hoisting cables
•Saturday September 26th - Possible reduction to replace hoisting cables
•Monday September 28th - Power reduction expected. Regular reductions expected through October 9th.

WPXE ION

I noticed Tuesday that the analog antenna was gone. Didnt see the new digital up yet, but could see crew working up on top.

AA9VI

Quote from: WPXE ION;53728I noticed Tuesday that the analog antenna was gone. Didnt see the new digital up yet, but could see crew working up on top.

This is the never ending project, huh?  I guess they're 2 months behind schedule by now.  Oh well.  I suppose they're at reduced digital power with the crew working on the tower, right?