• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Cutting the cable

Started by jeffski, Friday Jun 26, 2009, 12:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffski

After much research(and patience on my part for more hd offerings from TWC) we've decided to drop cable for Dish Network. Installer is coming this Sat.the 27th and am really looking forward to more variety (AND HD!) Went with the Duo hd dvr which will enable us to watch on sd tv in basement w/o need for another box.I couldn't pass up the 6 month offer (going with Gold250 package plus Gold hd) for $42 a mo(incl.locals)...after 6 months($77) I may drop to Silver pkg...wait and see. I have been a TWC(and before they bought them out..Century,Paragon,RVS) customer since 1981 so this is a big step. Back in those days I had a push button set-top box that got about 25 channels..LOL..but at least back then,MTV didn't suck.I am keeping roadrunner however,prob.not the turbo speed but the next speed lower. Even with the $77 in 6 months(unless we drop to silver) plus $40 for roadrunner will still be about $20 less then we pay now with much more offerings.
 I'll let you know my verdict on Dish after a few days. :wave:

Nels Harvey

I have had Dish Network for several years.  I have upgraded from SD to HD  and presently have a Dish 522 dual DVR and a Dish 622 DVR.  I needed to have a dish installed to receive HD from their 62.5 degree satellite because sight lines for their western HD satellite ( I think around 122 degrees) was poor because of trees.  

I read of all the trials and tribulations TWC customers have and am thoroughly satisfied and happy I don't have those problems.  Weather related outages aren't any worse than local TV stations (which I receive over the air and on Dish).

I am positive you will enjoy great TV with Dish.  Be sure to tell us your opinions after you are able to evaluate it yourself.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

jeffski

Hoping sight lines won't be a problem because we have several trees but the previous owner of our house we bought in April left their Directv dish on the roof so I'm hoping the Dish one will work in the same general mounted area. :deadair:

kevbeck122

You can go to http://www.dishpointer.com and check the line of sight.  You can select various satellites on that site and it will show you the direction they point.  It also has the line of sight tool to see if a tree will block your signal. You'll either get a Dish 1000.2 which points SW or a Dish 1000.4 which points SE.  I know awhile ago Milwaukee HD locals were on the 61.5 satellite (I'm not sure if they've mirrored them on other sats since), so if you ordered locals you'll probably get a 1000.4.

jeffski

good tool to use for sight line...thanks!

Blitzburgh

Quote from: jeffski;52646Hoping sight lines won't be a problem because we have several trees but the previous owner of our house we bought in April left their Directv dish on the roof so I'm hoping the Dish one will work in the same general mounted area. :deadair:

And you went Dish Network over DirecTV? I thought you said you wanted the most HD:huh?:

jeffski

Much more hd than cable and I didnt feel like paying more for similar programming (Dish vs D.)Because a small amount of Directv subs get nfl Sunday ticket ($300 to watch several games at once..1 day a week?  no thanks!) and the cost,from what Ive heard,is also passed on to subs who dont subscribe to Sunday ticket. (hence the higher priced packages):rolleyes:

troyriley

Either satellite company will generally be much better than cable. I chuckle every time I read complaints of Time Warner (or any other cable company) and when I hear people complain about the lack of HD or of certain channels. The whole NFL Network and Big Ten Network soap operas come to mind. I also laugh at the cable commercials that seem to think the satellite always goes out. That happens sometimes, but very rarely when there is heavy rain, and does not last long. Cable goes out too, but the cable companies don't mention that in their commercials for some reason.

Anyway, you will enjoy satellite. The good thing about Dish is that the receiver has that second room output. Also, you don't have to subscribe to local channels and save 5 or 6 bucks a month by simply hooking up an antenna (which everyone should do anyway, whether they have satellite or cable).

jeffski

Well,it turns out we don't have a direct line of sight from our roof...he said the only option would be to place the 2 dishes in an open area on the edge of our property between 2 trees...thought about this for 5 seconds and decided to stick with TWC.  Their offerings really aren't bad at all and Im happy with the hd selections with more to come I hope ,not to mention the local on demand channels we would miss,as well as TWC sports 32. 2 ugly dishes on poles in our yard isn't very appealing to us:eek:

jeffski

trying DTV.Decided to give them a try ONLY if they can align 1 slimline dish to get all (incl. hd) channels. Theyre coming tomorrow (July 21) to hopefully hook us up. Going with the Choice extra +hd dvr package for $55 A MO.for 12 months. This will lower our tv/internet bill by about $25 MO.Will prob.go down to basic rr with TWC to achieve this. (paying $120 total now with TWC):wave:

jeffski

Well,it's been a day now with Directv and my wife and I love it! Took cable box back to TWC about 2 hrs ago with 0 regrets. Am keeping rr tho(2 meg speed) The selection on DTV is incredible as well as the quality. The ONLY drawback I see is the channels take longer to change but we can live with that. So far so good and are even getting used to looking @ dish mounted on pole in yard :eek:

steve053

Quote from: jeffski;52877Well,it's been a day now with Directv and my wife and I love it! Took cable box back to TWC about 2 hrs ago with 0 regrets. Am keeping rr tho(2 meg speed) The selection on DTV is incredible as well as the quality. The ONLY drawback I see is the channels take longer to change but we can live with that. So far so good and are even getting used to looking @ dish mounted on pole in yard :eek:

A quick way to change channels is via 'quick tune'.  Push the up arrow when on any channel, it should be pretty self explanatory.

gparris

I had to do a quick setup change with a former client who switched from TWC to Directv for more HD channels now that CBS58HD is available from the dish (no antenna required, a wife thing). I had to look at the cabling and AVR setup, though the installer did a great job, just in case, per them.
They were amazed at the quality and quantity of HD channels that they were missing, including the other HD channels that their premium subscriptions were offering - missed on TWC.

Today I noticed that TWC's website changed the wording for offerings with a cablecard, eliminating The WeatherChannel HD, Planet Green HD and ESPNU HD in their listings, so it looks like TWC Milwaukee is NOT getting any more new HD channel additions for some time - and TWC has not added anything recently, either.:(
-More reason than ever to get Directv for HD (or some other provider)!:rock:

jeffski

Quote from: gparris;53164I had to do a quick setup change with a former client who switched from TWC to Directv for more HD channels now that CBS58HD is available from the dish (no antenna required, a wife thing). I had to look at the cabling and AVR setup, though the installer did a great job, just in case, per them.
They were amazed at the quality and quantity of HD channels that they were missing, including the other HD channels that their premium subscriptions were offering - missed on TWC.

Today I noticed that TWC's website changed the wording for offerings with a cablecard, eliminating The WeatherChannel HD, Planet Green HD and ESPNU HD in their listings, so it looks like TWC Milwaukee is NOT getting any more new HD channel additions for some time - and TWC has not added anything recently, either.:(
-More reason than ever to get Directv for HD (or some other provider)!:rock:

Welcome aboard :D

lowatt

Att UVerse has needed to be rebooted everyday, takes 15 minutes, so will drop it. Looking at either DirecTV or Dish, have heard good about both.
Thought AT&T would have the bugs worked out by now!