• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Fox 6 adds Sub-Channel 6.2

Started by John L, Tuesday Jun 16, 2009, 03:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John L

Quote from: Tom Snyder;52503NOTE: I changed the Thread title from Faux to Fox. No pressure from Fox6...Just an editorial decision.

Thanks Tom, I tried to change the main title myself. Glad you did.

-John L.

Chuck from FOX

6.2 Update:

The FCC has very specific rules about what you can/cannot broadcast on any OTA signal - we pulled the radar on Friday because in order for us to keep it up we would have needed to air weekly educational programming and our master control was yet not ready to do so.

We are still testing the signal and will have more information in the future.  

Thanks.

Chuck

tbarney

Chuck,

Thanks for explaining it. Makes perfect sense to me.  Not that I'm suggesting that you should lower the quality of 6.1 anymore by adding another channel, but why can't you just light up a 6.3 and show 24x7 PSA's to meet that requirement?

WITI6fan

Quote from: tbarney;52599Chuck,

Thanks for explaining it. Makes perfect sense to me.  Not that I'm suggesting that you should lower the quality of 6.1 anymore by adding another channel, but why can't you just light up a 6.3 and show 24x7 PSA's to meet that requirement?

I believe the FCC treats every subchannel as a separate channel when it comes to E/I requirements. :(

LoadStar

Quote from: Chuck from FOX;525766.2 Update:

The FCC has very specific rules about what you can/cannot broadcast on any OTA signal - we pulled the radar on Friday because in order for us to keep it up we would have needed to air weekly educational programming and our master control was yet not ready to do so.

We are still testing the signal and will have more information in the future.  

Thanks.

Chuck

Thanks for the update. Seems like the FCC should have some sort of separate policy for "non-programmed" informational channels like that, or MPTV's traffic and weather sub-channels.

mrschimpf

Quote from: tbarney;52599Chuck,

It's three hours for every subchannel, no matter what. It can't be gotten around by bottom-loading another channel with their E/I content.

I think that part of the E/I requirements (which has been in since 2007 and the reason WCGV pulled that video network The Tube) needs to be repealed because as it is, it prevents new experimental subchannels from getting on the air in the first place, and no child or parent is tuning into a weather subchannel to become educated, ever.

All the requirement does is drag more money in DiC's coffers because by default stations plug their shows (aka WVTV and WCGV) into a bad part of their schedule to get the requirements in. All the kids are watching Nickelodeon or other cable channels these days, and broadcast production companies have no inititave to create new E/I content unless it's either sponsored by someone or produced by a big company like TBN which can make up the cost through their viewer contributions.

tbarney

Quote from: mrschimpf;52605It's three hours for every subchannel, no matter what. It can't be gotten around by bottom-loading another channel with their E/I content.

If that is the case, then how does WTMJ get away with it on 4.2?  I know their guide info says Zodiakc Island,  Aqua Kids, and other various children's programming is on Saturday mornings, but the last few weeks (other than yesterday because I didn't check) every time I tune during those times I'm just getting the forecast, not the educational stuff they say they are showing.

mrschimpf

Quote from: tbarney;52665If that is the case, then how does WTMJ get away with it on 4.2?  I know their guide info says Zodiakc Island,  Aqua Kids, and other various children's programming is on Saturday mornings, but the last few weeks (other than yesterday because I didn't check) every time I tune during those times I'm just getting the forecast, not the educational stuff they say they are showing.

They may have moved the schedule back to the start of the day or during Daybreak hours when they can air it without either FCC penalty or having no weather coverage in the air.

N9RGX

I find weather radar and forecasts and traffic cams quite educational. They educate me on what to expect for the day.

If Channel 36 can air them, maybe they are educational enough for the FCC :P

Jack 1000

Quote from: Stanley Kritzik;52426What, you would deny "Storm Team 4" the right to mess up an HD program to tell us that nothing is happening?

How cruel.

Stan

Or to stop an HD program to tell the viewers that it might snow..........in December! LOL!
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

WITI6fan

Quote from: Jack 1000;52815Or to stop an HD program to tell the viewers that it might snow..........in December! LOL!

At least they (WTMJ) won't drop HD anymore... Now if we could get them to not use obnoxious massive supers on the bottom and just use minimalist warning graphics like every other station in the nation uses...