News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Difference between Converter boxes

Started by Tivoman44, Wednesday May 27, 2009, 08:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tivoman44

This is in response to my other post regarding OTA signals, but wanted to ask a seperate question.  Is their any true difference between converter boxes?  Will one get better signals versus others or is that mostly in the antenna and it's positioning.  I know that some offer S-Video connections and almost all offer a coax only connection or composite (RCA) connections.  I wanted to get peoples input.  I have some Insignia boxes as well as a radio shack brand.  Before I got Time Warner  (as you may recall with me asking about tuning adaptors for Tivo and the cable card) I used the converter boxes with a roof antenna (in southern Ozaukee County) and have had brillant picture with it, but was wondering if anyone had any different experiences.

Pattizb

I live in Dodge County.  We have an OTA antenna on a tower.  We had boxes from radio shack and reception was only ok.  I talked to someone at channel 12 and he suggested an insignia box.  He told me that it was the best out there and he used them at his home.  I did purchase one and it was much better.

Any suggestions on how we can get channel 49, METV back?  We have not been able to get it for months and we miss it.  We do receive all the other Milwaukee stations.

jjallou

Quote from: Pattizb;52518I live in Dodge County.  We have an OTA antenna on a tower.  We had boxes from radio shack and reception was only ok.  I talked to someone at channel 12 and he suggested an insignia box.  He told me that it was the best out there and he used them at his home.  I did purchase one and it was much better.

Any suggestions on how we can get channel 49, METV back?  We have not been able to get it for months and we miss it.  We do receive all the other Milwaukee stations.

Call CBS-58  (414) 777-5800 They run that channel (49-1)

DonV

I've got Magnavox and RCA converter boxes.  they both work OK with my original OTA antenna in the garage attic near the MKE/WAK county line.   However there is a significant difference in the friendlyness of the remote controls.  The Magnavox has too tiny channel up/dn buttons.  The RCA has bigger buttons and includes a volume adjustment for the TV (must have r-c) so you only need one remote control to clutter the coffee table.

If you have lost channel 49.1 or 18.1 re-do a channel scan.  they must have changed frequencies.  Ditto with the digital TV.

ddeerrff

Quote from: DonV;52627The RCA has bigger buttons and includes a volume adjustment for the TV (must have r-c) so you only need one remote control to clutter the coffee table.
Yes, the RCA  DTA-809 is a nice user-friendly CECB.  That's the one I picked out for an elderly relative, specifically because of the large buttons and simple remote control.  Too bad they seem to have stopped making it.

InsulinJunkie

Quote from: ddeerrff;52629Yes, the RCA  DTA-809 is a nice user-friendly CECB.  That's the one I picked out for an elderly relative, specifically because of the large buttons and simple remote control.

Same here.

The Magnavoxes that were common in stores all had those horrible remotes, and every one I tried seemed to take forever to change channels.  Tuner seemed slightly worse than the RCAs, too, in finding channels when I tried one.

The RCA was a nice, decent all-around box that was perfect for the "elderly relative" scenario, although the Zenith (also relabeled and resold as the Insignia) is probably still the overall king of the converter boxes that were/are easily available in retail stores.

(So no mention of the ChannelMaster boxes and similar that generally need to be mail ordered)

Bebop

I have the channelmaster. I think it's the only one with a s-video out.  
it's still in the box. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun