News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

OTA problems in Central Wisconsin, amplifier to be used?

Started by Tivoman44, Tuesday May 26, 2009, 07:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tivoman44

Hello all,
I have an issue regarding some DTV signals.  A little background, it is for a place in the central part of Wisconsin (Waushara County) where it can pick up Wausau, Steven's Point, and Fox Valley signals mainly, and on very good days milwaukee analog signals.  It is over the air using an outdoor antenna on a pole, it can easily be rotated with a device on the inside, however I believe the antenna needs to be raised, and possibly maybe newer cables feeding it in the inside.  Basically all that can be picked up is Channel 2 (ABC I believe from somewhere, as well as 2.2, 2.5, channel 5, and sometimes Fox 11.1, but not often).  Analog is can get 26 and 32 sometimes, but almost never anything more.  I was going to try using a 2 output VHF/UHF and FM amplifier.  The setup is rather simple where the amplifier is plugged into an outlet, then the coax from the wall (outside the antenna) is connected to the input on the amplifier.  From there 1 output on it will be connected to the inbound part on converter box.  Then from outbound to the back of the TV.  Will the amplifier help at all?  Would it cause interference?

The antenna can get VHF, UHF signals and like I said can be easily rotated.  Is there anything else to do besides raise it?  Will June 12th allow other power stations to increase power?

Any help would be great.

jkane

From Wild Rose, we use a little amp inside.  The distance to the transmitters is a lot.  This is one place an Amp is appropriate.  Go for it.

All of the channels you mention are Green Bay.  Be sure you are pointing east.  They are also the strongest stations.

Last year I got something like channel 55 in digital, but it is gone this year.  Could be a weak station in Greenbay.  Not sure.  I expect next month for it to be back.

If you want Wausau, 7, 9, and 20, point north.  I have not tried the digital versions of those, but the analogs come in if I rotate my antenna.  I don't have a rotor, so I only did that a few years ago manually to test it.  I have used a digital converter a couple counties to the west near Pittsville.  I can't remember exactly which it is, but either 7 or 9 did not have a digital carrier earlier this year.  So if you don't get it, that could be why.

budda

My mother-in-law lives in Plainfield, I put a 8 bay bowtie ant.,for her. with a amp. it is about 12 feet up on the car port. she gets about all networks  and the cites you listed but no milw. total channels about 18, some dups, had to play with them potion a bit but worked great,they are all digital this was done for the up coming transition so I just hooked up the converter boxes now hope this helps

Tivoman44

Thanks for the information both of you.  Would radio shack or any other type electronic store carry that antenna?  Planfield I don't believe is too far, this location is a few miles outside of Wautoma.  i think the antenna may have to be a little taller, the problem is it is down a hill by a lake and many trees around.  So I am thinking raising it should help a little, possibly a new antenna, but it seems to work ok, plus the amplifier.  Any suggestions on a good amplifier though, I have a very basic no name brand from walmart.  When I went to college and lived off campus our cable signal was split many times and the picture was horrible, but the amp made it look great.  This same amp never did anything at this place near wautoma with analog, but that was back in 2006, hopefully this will help.  Any thoughts?

budda

I went to a place called Skywalker, have an account there ran about 50 for the 8 bay Bowtie and 30 for the amp, was a nice amp went to a hardware store and bought a ten foot chain link fence post and some brackets to mount to a wall U shaped. Yes radio shack should have them price not sure, may have to be ordered. Skywalker is wholesale but you can try a walk in. But it is not a walmart say in the I want a return cuz the color is wrong and so on. I maybe able to pick it up for you but my loction is Oconomowoc, skywalker is in New Berlin on Liberty st.by my shop good luck.

dvo01

I have a place between Wautoma and Hancock in Waushara county and have the following experience with DTV reception.

I currently have a high gain antenna with a mast mounted preamplifier.  The antenna is on a 25 foot mast on top of my house with an antenna rotor.  DTV conversion is done with a Zenith DTV converter.

Previously, I would be able to receive analog signals from the Fox cities, Wausau and Madison.  When the Fox city stations started broadcasting both analog and digital, day time reception of the Fox and NBC stations dropped noticeably.  My house is next to a lake with a large slope directly behind me (towards Madison) and some hills to the east (Green Bay).  Wausau is the least impeded path.

Currently, with most of those stations converted to DTV, I can only reliably receive the CBS (7-1,7-2,7-3), NBC (9-1,9-2,9-3) and PBS (20-1 to 20-4) during the day.  The Fox city stations are unwatchable during the day and I get so-so reception of the Madison CBS station.  At night, I am able to get so-so reception of the Wausa Fox station.  So far, I have not been able to get a reliable NBC or Fox station from either Green Bay or Madison.   In all, DTV has been a mixed blessing, especially this fall since I will not be able to watch football on Fox.  I've also noticed that DTV reception is very particular about the antenna direction, the signal strength falls if the antenna is even a few degrees off.   I used to be able to receive the Wausau stations off the back of the antenna if I had it pointed towards Madison.  This was my normal position with NBC from Madison and CBS and ABC from Wausau off the back.

budda

Where I put mine and not very high, is just southwest of you maybe 10 minutes, and I get Madison and Wausau fox, I would say wait till June 12 th and do a rescan, you may be surprised, central Wisconsin is running dual channels or analog only till the end, once it is only DTV they will apply all the power the the D stations and that will help you, reason is power cost money and they step on each other, I believe you will get the Pack.Peace;)

dvo01

Was up in Waushara county this weekend (post the DTV transition) and reception has improved markedly.  I am able to get FOX (WFRV 11.1) out of Green Bay during the day.  NBC (channel 15.1 out of Madison) was coming in during the daytime as well.  Night time reception was very good with several new channels coming in out of Green Bay but their signal don't seem to support daytime viewing.  I guess the DTV transitions allowed several of the stations to increase their power to the DTV.  One odd note is that the Fox out of Wausau (WFXS 55.1 and 55.2) were not seen on Saturday night where I had been able to get them over the Memorial day weekend.
So, it looks like I will get NFC and AFC games this fall.

jkane

I was up Saturday for a little bit.  The Green Bay stations seem fine.  I didn't swing my antenna, and just deleted all the Wausau stations since I can't see them without moving it.  Guess I might take a rotor up there.  Then again, I really don't watch TV that much when I go up there.  ;-)

Tivoman44

Thanks for the information.  I have not been back to Waushara county and Wautoma since before June 12 so I'll have to check it out.  It's nice to be able to get TV for when its raining or cold in the fall and spring.  I was hoping that the power boosts would help it, and it sounds like it has so far.  I may be asking further questions regarding anetennas again in the near future.