News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WB 18 OTA question

Started by budda, Monday Apr 20, 2009, 10:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budda

I live in Oconomowoc, have a nice ANT., power amp ya da ya da. 4-1,4-2,6-1,24-1,58-1, all in the 90's , 12-1 is high 80's, 18-1 is too low to come in most of the time hangs around 72, sig. In June when the stations go all digital. Question is will the WB boost there signal at that time?, thanks any info welcome:)

Jimboy

Quote from: budda;51735I live in Oconomowoc, have a nice ANT., power amp ya da ya da. 4-1,4-2,6-1,24-1,58-1, all in the 90's , 12-1 is high 80's, 18-1 is too low to come in most of the time hangs around 72, sig. In June when the stations go all digital. Question is will the WB boost there signal at that time?, thanks any info welcome:)

WB? That ended in 2006.

18-1 is really broadcasting on channel 61 (at the present time) at full power. The real question is how well does your antenna perform at higher UHF frequencies?

On June 12th WVTV CW 18 will be moving it's digital channel from it's current assignment of 61 back to channel 18 for digital operations. After that you will need to re-scan your equipment to find CW 18 on it's new digital channel.

The current 18-1 (channel 61) transmitter will then be re-channeled and re-configured for channel 18 digital operations at 1000kw.

It will get better....much better. :rock:

Nels Harvey

Is Ch. 18-1 going to wait for June to migrate their digital from Ch. 61 down to Ch. 18?
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

LoadStar

Quote from: Nels Harvey;51753Is Ch. 18-1 going to wait for June to migrate their digital from Ch. 61 down to Ch. 18?

They have to - no choice in the matter.

LoadStar

Quote from: Nels Harvey;51753Is Ch. 18-1 going to wait for June to migrate their digital from Ch. 61 down to Ch. 18?

Jim answered that very question in the post immediately above yours:
QuoteOn June 12th WVTV CW 18 will be moving it's digital channel from it's current assignment of 61 back to channel 18 for digital operations.

budda

Thanks for the info, if I move my roter I get it fine, was just trying to find the sweet spot. Will wait till the 12th rescan and see what happens thanks again{fart}

John L

Being a member of the WTFDA DX List, people on there have been announcing in the last 2 days of stations finally moving their DTV operations onto their permanent channel and all this took place this weekend.  I turned on my analog TV to see if I might detect a Digital signal on ch. 18, nope still 61.  So I came on here to see if WVTV is planning to make the change very soon.  I guess this answers my question, their gonna do it all on June 12th.

Personally I am not sure why the wait? I would think they had the equipment and ready to go within a couple weeks before February 17th since the delay wasn't decided within a couple weeks before Feb 17.

-John L.

Jimboy

Quote from: John L;51820Being a member of the WTFDA DX List, people on there have been announcing in the last 2 days of stations finally moving their DTV operations onto their permanent channel and all this took place this weekend.  I turned on my analog TV to see if I might detect a Digital signal on ch. 18, nope still 61.  So I came on here to see if WVTV is planning to make the change very soon.  I guess this answers my question, their gonna do it all on June 12th.

Personally I am not sure why the wait? I would think they had the equipment and ready to go within a couple weeks before February 17th since the delay wasn't decided within a couple weeks before Feb 17.

-John L.

The next "important" date is June 12th and the push is on to tell viewers to re-scan. The re-scan will get people to start watching the digital stations (for those who are still watching analog on their digital tv) and to find 18-1 again when the channel change happens. Feb 17th was a big wake-up call when 18, 24, & 30 turned off. How many times do we need to confuse people?  
An early switch would also require FCC approval.

John L

Sounds Good.  In this case it was probably station management deciding to wait till June 12.  Because the Ch. 18 frequency is wide open with no nearby distant station using it. Ch. 18 has been a local analog assignment since August 1958.

However WBBM-DT in Chicago MUST wait until June 12 or after to change to their permanent channel because WISN-TV is currently occupying it and they are still on the air.

-John L.

QuimaxW

I live in Waukesha, and 18-1 comes in in a nearly watchable state. Audio cuts, video shudders and stuff. Antenna is pointed in the right direction and everything else seems to be fine.

I like the info though...I'll also wait until June 12th and see what happens then. It's just weird that this started in the last couple weeks, before that it was generally fine.

Nels Harvey

Quote from: QuimaxW;51978I live in Waukesha, and 18-1 comes in in a nearly watchable state. Audio cuts, video shudders and stuff. Antenna is pointed in the right direction and everything else seems to be fine.

I like the info though...I'll also wait until June 12th and see what happens then. It's just weird that this started in the last couple weeks, before that it was generally fine.
You may be losing signal as leaves come out on the trees!
Good luck!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Jimboy

Doing the switch on June 12th at 9am.

A re-scan will be necessary (in most cases).

John L

Quote from: Jimboy;51980Doing the switch on June 12th at 9am.

A re-scan will be necessary (in most cases).

I wonder how long you will be off the air between ch. 61 and ch. 18.  Because if you are using the same DTV transmitter I assume you have to do 2 things. Change Crystal or Oscillator to tune it to ch. 18's freq, and second of all change antenna to get the proper RF resonant.  I assume you can use the old ch. 18 analog antenna for DTV?

Also if I remember right you are also intending to increase power to 1,000 kW.  Is that power increase all in the antenna itself or does it also involve some modificatiuons to the transmitter?

Just the power increase and lower UHF band as oppose to being on the higher UHF band can be a big signal improvement for those who are having problems receiving WVTV-DT from ch. 61.

-John L.:huh?:

Jimboy

Quote from: John L;52012I wonder how long you will be off the air between ch. 61 and ch. 18?  

It'll take about 1 minute (maybe less). Our Mr. Wizard will change his crystal ball frequency from channel 61 to 18 but remember pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Quote from: John L;52012Also if I remember right you are also intending to increase power to 1,000 kW.  Is that power increase all in the antenna itself or does it also involve some modifications to the transmitter?  

It involves a whole bunch of stuff. Channel specific RF system, antenna, and crankin' up the transmitter a little more. Won't happen overnight.

Quote from: John L;52012Just the power increase and lower UHF band as oppose to being on the higher UHF band can be a big signal improvement for those who are having problems receiving WVTV-DT from ch. 61.  

You Betcha!

John L

I hope in time you get the rights to broadcast every Milwaukee Brewer Game again and in HD. Because FSN-Wisconsin does a crappy job providing the telecasts.  You guys seem qualified and the leader when it comes to HD commercial programs on TV.

-John L.