• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

recording dvd's to computer

Started by bklass, Wednesday Feb 18, 2009, 01:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bklass

We are going on vacation next month.
I am thinking it would be a good idea to copy some of the commercial movies (DVD's) we have (own) onto my laptop for viewing in the airport and while on the plane.  They are probably copy protected.
Does anyone know of an easy/lowcost way to transfer these movies onto my laptop?
I could just bring the dvd's along and put hyem in the dvd drive, but why have the hassle of having to pack the dvd's.

markd

mac or pc?

edit: I guess I don't need to wait for a response to that.  On PC, I use DVD Shrink to rip my DVDs and stream to my Apple TV.  On Mac, I use Mac-The-Ripper.

bklass

It is PC (dell laptop) that I will be taking along.  I don't necessarily want to burn copies of the dvd's.  I just want to watch them on the laptop.

HDefinicktion

I have done this before as well....few ways to do it.  I like to use DVD Fab to rip the DVD off...then Handbrake to convert the .VOB files to a MP4.  If you are not concerned about video file size, then you dont have to convert to MP4, you can use VideoLAN to play the ripped .VOB files.

I also have used DVD43 to break encryption, and Handbrake to rip the DVD.  Handbrake will not rip a protected DVD.  DVD43 removes most protection on the fly.  I have had some compatibility issues in the past with other burning software and DVD43...but it is mainly a great little program.

oz

Use the free DVD Shrink software to rip the DVD's to your hard drive (have the program save them as .ISO files).

Then download the free VLC Media Player software to play the movies directly from the ISO files you created.

HDefinicktion

I learned something...I had no idea DVD Shrink could save as .ISO....Thanks!