News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

4.1 off the air?

Started by tbarney, Friday Feb 13, 2009, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbarney

By chance I happend to be home mid day on a Friday and my wife is asking why her soap isn't recording on 4.  We have Dish Network. 4 through the dish is a purple screen, 4 HD through the dish is a Pink screen, and 4.1 OTA is No Signal.  I switch the tv to analog 4 and it is there, but fuzzy. The analog signal barely comes in out here.

troyriley

It happened during the newscast, shortly after 12:30. I first checked other channels, and those were fine. Then I called my mom to see if it was out there to make sure it wasn't on my end. Both of us receive it OTA. It's back on, as of about 1:10.

I'm not sure if they increased power slightly, but I'm now receiving it at 99-100%, up from the consistent 96% I was receiving it before here from Genoa City. Maybe it's just atmospheric conditions though.

tbarney

The only excuse I'll be satisifed with is if they me they were installing new equipment on their HD side that allows them to NEVER have to drop to SD again when doing weather warnings.

AA9VI

Quote from: troyriley;50751It happened during the newscast, shortly after 12:30. I first checked other channels, and those were fine. Then I called my mom to see if it was out there to make sure it wasn't on my end. Both of us receive it OTA. It's back on, as of about 1:10.

I'm not sure if they increased power slightly, but I'm now receiving it at 99-100%, up from the consistent 96% I was receiving it before here from Genoa City. Maybe it's just atmospheric conditions though.

Interesting.  I'll check it tonight.  I used to get it in very well up until about Labor Day then the signal level hit the mud.

troyriley

Quote from: AA9VI;50754Interesting.  I'll check it tonight.  I used to get it in very well up until about Labor Day then the signal level hit the mud.

Well, for me it's back to 95-96% a few hours later... must have just been the atmospheric conditions at the time, unless they are tweaking the transmitter a little. I think they're already at full power... 1000 kw.

John L

Quote from: tbarney;50752The only excuse I'll be satisifed with is if they me they were installing new equipment on their HD side that allows them to NEVER have to drop to SD again when doing weather warnings.

They wouldn't have to go off the air for that. I am assuming there was no transmission carrier?

-John L.

techboy

Ch 4's new digital master control switcher now allows them to air "bugs" and crawls in the HD format.  No longer is it necessary to go to SD to air the weather "bug".  Yes, it really annoyed me too.  They are planning a switch to HD news soon; HD camera's are in the studio ready, but newsroom video computer editing is not ready.  It's all about money: capital investment.  Very slow economy has slowed the transition.  They announed that they intend to continue SD until June across their 12 TV stations ( nationally ) at a cost of about $35K per month just for electricity.  At some point in the future, they plan to remove the VHF antenna from the top of the tower and relocate the CH28 UHF antenna from the west side to the top.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

WITI6fan

I saw the ticker on a actual HDTV for the first time the other day, and noticed that the ticker, although 16:9, is definitely NOT HD. The text on the newscast's graphics was clearer and crisper than the ticker!

Anyone else notice this?