News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Has WVTV Switched Channels?

Started by Stanley Kritzik, Monday Feb 09, 2009, 11:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley Kritzik

I'm having trouble finding WVTV digital on Ch 61 on one of my DirecTV receivers.  So, my question: has WVTV been on digital Ch 61 from the beginning, or have they switched?  Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Stan

John L

I don't have Direct TV, I would assume people can get ch. 18 via Direct TV.  They are suppose to cease digital broadcasts on ch. 61 soon and move it to braodcast over analog ch. 18. But that won't happen sometime after ch. 18 ceases their analog transmission on ch. 18 and it sounds like they filed to terminate analog transmission next week.

Whether they will move DTV to 18 right away, I don't know. Before the delay it was a MUST to move immediately, but now with the delay maybe it means they have more time to move from 61 to 18.:confused:

-John L.

Stanley Kritzik

Things like converter boxes and ASIC-ready OTA TV sets actually scan for the digital channels.  I think (not sure) that DirecTV takes the supplied station information and uses that to tune the OTA channels.  If that info. doesn't specify CH 61D, the tuner will miss it.  In any case, I'm feeding my OTA add-on to my DirecTV DVR with a good outdoor antenna.  I get 70 to 90 % on all the local channels, but a big fat zero for WVTV.  That makes me think my DVR is looking in the wrong place, and I guess I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

Stan

Jimboy

Has WVTV Switched Channels?

No. Digital is still on 61, analog is still on 18.

When the day is determined (switching from 61 to 18 for digital) it will certainly be posted here along with information on the air informing viewers to re-scan. With the new rules in place a station can't switch without approval from the FCC (unless it's June 12th of course). Then again, the President still needs to sign the delay bill for it to become law.....so for now it's still Feb 17th for all stations until further notice. EDIT - The President signed the bill on Feb 11th - It's now law.

70 to 90% in River Hills? Everything should be coming in like gangbusters. 61 shouldn't be an issue.

AA9VI

Quote from: Jimboy;50678Has WVTV Switched Channels?

No. Digital is still on 61, analog is still on 18.

When the day is determined (switching from 61 to 18 for digital) it will certainly be posted here along with information on the air informing viewers to re-scan. With the new rules in place a station can't switch without approval from the FCC (unless it's June 12th of course). Then again, the President still needs to sign the delay bill for it to become law.....so for now it's still Feb 17th for all stations until further notice.

70 to 90% in River Hills? Everything should be coming in like gangbusters. 61 shouldn't be an issue.

So, what's the chance of going to DT on RF 18 (and increased ERP) before June?  I'm looking forward to the better signal in northern IL.

Jimboy

Quote from: AA9VI;50707So, what's the chance of going to DT on RF 18 (and increased ERP) before June?  I'm looking forward to the better signal in northern IL.

Not sure at this time. We may be staying on 61 until June 12th.

FYI - The President signed the delay bill today.

Stanley Kritzik

Said problem is cured.  My DirecTV box -- an HR21 -- got a new software release yesterday, which had a number of improvements and a fix for an annoying problem some of us were having.  Along with everything else that may or may not have been fixed, all of a sudden, WVTV (over-the-air) began to work, and the receiver's antenna strength "meter" showed a reasonable signal strength.

So, D*, WVTV and I are all squared away, and I/we can settle back and wait for the howls from the rabbit ears folks who aren't ready.

Stan

John L

Quote from: Stanley Kritzik;50726Said problem is cured.  My DirecTV box -- an HR21 -- got a new software release yesterday, which had a number of improvements and a fix for an annoying problem some of us were having.  Along with everything else that may or may not have been fixed, all of a sudden, WVTV (over-the-air) began to work, and the receiver's antenna strength "meter" showed a reasonable signal strength.

So, D*, WVTV and I are all squared away, and I/we can settle back and wait for the howls from the rabbit ears folks who aren't ready.

Stan

Good to hear! You won't miss "Smallville" next Wednesday or Thursday night!
:)

-John L.