News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SDV Issues Today - Multiople Channels

Started by nick3092, Saturday Jan 10, 2009, 01:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick3092

Right now, (in Waukesha at least) there are a handful of SDV channels not working.  Including Travel, HDNet, TLC, MGM, Disc HD Theater, Disney, Science, Animal Planet, and probably some others.  I found this out when I was showing my parents (who live in the house nextdoor) about some of the new channels we got recently.

They have an 8300HDC box, so I went into the ODN software diag screens, and went to the SDV screen.  For "Last CPP Error" it said "No SDV Bandwidth" on these channels.  So I walked back to my house turned on my 8300HD box, and I couldn't tune these channels either.  I went into the MDN diag screens, and on these channels my "Last CPP Error" on these channels just says "UnknownErr".

Good job rolling out SDV TW.  Bang up job.  I'm OK with the fact they just raised my rate by like $5/mo or whatever, but when 1/4 of the HD channels aren't working, that's just irritating.  Complaining to them and asking for a refund would undoubtedly do no good, since they would just tell my to tune the analog version, and the channel is still available.

Anyway, those of you also experiencing SDV issues from time to time, I encourage you to go into your diag screens and look at the SDV error.  Although it seems only the HDC boxes are giving a useful error.

gparris

Last night, after I was watching/recording 2 local HD channels, the DVR asked me if I wanted to accept changing to another HD channel to record at 9PM, so I hit the button to accept, but there was another HD local also recording for 9PM, too- but it became "Channel not available" and I couldn't access it or even jump to it.

Battling with it was a non-issue as it wouldn't let me do anything, unless if I wanted to lose my other local HD channel's recordings with a reboot, that was the way it was going.:(
About 10 minutes or so later, the other "not available" HD channel became accessable, it started recording (although under LIST the programme showed it was recording all along.).:huh?:

Note these were not "cable HD channels" like USAHD or others, just local HD network channels, too.

SDV in Wisconsin is getting worse, maybe TWC should pay its engineering department more?

Jack 1000

Do you think they might be having some system trouble adding those next new channels scheduled for launch:

(According to the 1800 test band of channels coming soon?)

Chiller  SD

Bravo HD

CNBC HD?

I haven't checked today, so I don't know if those stations are in regular guide positions or not.  The last time, just before MLB Network was launched I had huge pixiation issues on the This TV channel (201.)  It cleared up within hours after the MLB network was added.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

I don't want any more new HD channels if this is how TWC Wisconsin does them, honestly, what good is having more HD channels if you cannot receive them?:huh?:

Maybe going an all-digital route, like NYC and Dallas TWC are doing is the only way for more HD channel delivery, unless they learn how to install convertors outside the house (an alternate method).:D

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;50026I don't want any more new HD channels if this is how TWC Wisconsin does them, honestly, what good is having more HD channels if you cannot receive them?:huh?:

Maybe going an all-digital route, like NYC and Dallas TWC are doing is the only way for more HD channel delivery, unless they learn how to install converters outside the house (an alternate method).:D

Will an all-digital route be required for TWC by the February 17, 2009 deadline for the DTV transition period anyway?  Or does TWC have exclusion clauses from that where they could keep the way they are currently transmitting signals after February 17, 2009?

Jack

skier8734

The digital transition only applies to over the air, basically so the government can sell the spectrum that is freed up by dropping ota analog transmissions, to cell phone companies.  Since the analog sent out by TWC is carried by a cable they can do whatever they want.

kevbeck122

TWC has to support analog TVs until at least 2012.  Whether or not that means giving analog people a box or keeping the analog channels available til then is up to them.

leprechaunshawn

I know this has been discussed here before but I forget how to access the diagnostics on the 8300HDC.

nick3092

Quote from: leprechaunshawn;50038I know this has been discussed here before but I forget how to access the diagnostics on the 8300HDC.

ODN has two sets of diags.  The one that is 9 pages long and shows the SDV status is accessed the same as MDN: Hold down the blue select button on your remote until the mail icon blinks on the box, then press the down arrow right below it.  These tend to be more software related diagnostics.  The other set is like 15 pages and is more hardware related.  But I forget the secret handshake for that one.

kevbeck122

Press and hold vol- and vol+ until the mail icon comes up, then press channel up to get the other diagnostics on ODN.

kevbeck122

The "No SDV Bandwidth" message leads me to believe that TWC has run out of channel capacity.  If this is the case, they need to get more channels moved over to SDV otherwise we'll continue to get the channel unavailable messages.  A possible reason why some SDV channels work while others don't is that people on your neighborhood node are watching those channels.  When you try to tune to a channel that isn't being tuned through your node, and too many SDV channels are active on that node, there's not enough bandwidth available to let the channel through.  That's my theory... I don't know if it's the actual problem but it makes sense.

Jack 1000

Quote from: kevbeck122;50163The "No SDV Bandwidth" message leads me to believe that TWC has run out of channel capacity.  If this is the case, they need to get more channels moved over to SDV otherwise we'll continue to get the channel unavailable messages.  A possible reason why some SDV channels work while others don't is that people on your neighborhood node are watching those channels.  When you try to tune to a channel that isn't being tuned through your node, and too many SDV channels are active on that node, there's not enough bandwidth available to let the channel through.  That's my theory... I don't know if it's the actual problem but it makes sense.

Yes,

TWC will have to upgrade their channel capacity because there are channels talked about on their website that they say aren't available with a cable card, but some haven't been added yet.  They also talk about channels that are being negotiated.  This raises the question.  If SDV is turned on, how many channels does it hold?  How many channels (approximately) can it hold?

Jack

nick3092

Quote from: Jack 1000;50165Yes,

TWC will have to upgrade their channel capacity because there are channels talked about on their website that they say aren't available with a cable card, but some haven't been added yet.  They also talk about channels that are being negotiated.  This raises the question.  If SDV is turned on, how many channels does it hold?  How many channels (approximately) can it hold?

Jack

SDV doesn't have a set amount of bandwidth it frees up.  If Every SDV channel is being watched by someone in your neighborhood/node, then it's using a lot.  But, if only a handful of unique SDV channels are being watched in your neighborhood, then there is plenty of bandwidth.

SDV in my mind is more of a band aid to the bandwidth issues cable has currently.  Eliminating analog channels will free up a lot more space, and we won't have to worry about random channels not working from time to time.

LoadStar

Quote from: Jack 1000;50165Yes,

Jack

You say "if SDV is turned on" like it isn't on and in use already. :confused:

Jack 1000

Quote from: LoadStar;50172You say "if SDV is turned on" like it isn't on and in use already. :confused:

Oh, I know it's on.  But I know that cable systems that use SDV can still turn it off for maintenance stuff. I was speaking of ALL cable systems using SDV, not just TWC.  I wonder though when cable adds a channel, how many people are responsible for adding the channel and making sure it goes through?

Jack