News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Directv 771 error

Started by the_heller, Saturday Dec 20, 2008, 01:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_heller

My Directv HD21 box has been working fine - until yesterday (I think; at least that's when I noticed).

Now I'm getting a searching for satellite 2 - error 771 message on many channels (locals, ESPNnews, CNN, USA - all HD - among them).

I've restarted the system - no luck.

The signals appear to be coming in OK - everything looks to be above 70.

Has anyone had this problem? Do you think it could be the snow (there is some on the dish). It hasn't been that windy (yet), so not sure it could be knocked out of place.

Hesitant to call Directv since their service can be very hit or miss (not to mention they'd want to send someone out, and that could cost a small fortune ;)).

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Gilbert

How's the signal strength? Actual numbers. But before you do that, get the snow off the dish first. Then check the mnumbers and the missing channels again. If that doesn't work, you might need a  realignment, or it's possible that you have bad B-band converters (the inline black filters).

the_heller

Signal strength - everything is over 85. Don't have the exact numbers this second. I wish I could get the snow off the dish - I'm thinking that is the problem (it is covered; never had this problem with the smaller dish of course) - but it is in a hard place to get to. Just seems very coincidental that it coincides with the big snow dump the other day.

Johnny Wong

Hi.  longtime lurker,  first time poster....  Thanks for all of the help that I've received from these forums....

From Tosa with DirecTV.

Having the same problem.   Signal Strength looks good, the dish was cleared by me...   Still searching for signal?   Started yesterday.

Am on hold right now with DTV.    Any luck with your system...?

Bebop

I'm having the same problem too. For those with problem, are you using the weekly beta?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

steve053

A menu reset should do the trick.  I've had that same error problem in the past.

the_heller

Quote from: steve053;49710A menu reset should do the trick.  I've had that same error problem in the past.

By menu reset do you mean just reset the receiver? Because I've done that twice with no luck.

Funny, because last night I started getting in the locals and USAHD again, but not ESPNewsHD or NFL NetworkHD. Now today, all the ones which were 771s are back to being 771s.

Curious to see how others have fared (and if Directv had an answer other than it is a weather issue - because if that's the case, it is going to be a long few months).

the_heller

Quote from: Bebop;49707I'm having the same problem too. For those with problem, are you using the weekly beta?

I don't even know what the weekly beta is. :)

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Tom Snyder

I was getting a similar error message and thought maybe it was because of snow on my dish... I went out and took a broom to my dish, and the error message went away.  Maybe a coincidence.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

the_heller

I need to find a 30-foot broom ... ;) :).

RonH

I've taken to using a 30ft snow rake, and just using it ever-so-carefully to get the snow off the arm that runs from the LNBs to the dish.  When it piles up there it blocks the signal.  For me, I've found the discovery HD is the worst one to go out due to snow.

the_heller

I bought a 16-foot mop/brush extender and got a soft brush with it. It was juuuuust not long enough to reach my dish, but I was able to get to it by standing on a chair. Wiped off some snow, checked the TV and - voila! - my channels are back. That was worth the investment (plus I can knock down some icicles). :)

Tom Snyder

So glad I was able to talk my installer into bolting my dish to the side of my deck. I just reach over the rail and brush it off. If it would have been on my roof, I'd be big trouble.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Johnny Wong

Still having the same problem with the local HD channels?   Definitely no snow or weather tonight....