News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New HD Channels sometimes not avail?

Started by ckkopenski, Tuesday Oct 21, 2008, 10:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckkopenski

:huh?:   I'm getting a bit of 'channel not available' screens on the newest batch of HD channels. It's rather intermittent. Sometimes they tune-in just fine. Sometimes if you go up a channel then back, it's ok. Also getting series recordings not being recorded. Those are showing up in the log as channel wasn't available.

I've rebooted the box (8300hdc) prolly 5 times in the last two weeks. It's rebooted on it's own during the day at times as well.

Anyone else getting this? I'm in Greenfield.

Thanks,

Corey

radman_w156

Same thing here. Been going on for awhile. Even swapped out my box at TWC's recomendation. Everything had been fine for 2 weeks, now today many of the HD channels are showing the Not Available message. Seems to me that it happens when they add channels since I noticed some today that I hadn't before. It is usually only the new channels that don't work too.:bang:

ckkopenski

I did call her in today. The tech seemed pretty perplexed that I'm only getting this on one of my boxes. Had me reboot the box. None of the newest batch of HD channels would come in at all, even after the newest reboot.

Anyway, I have a tech coming out tomorrow to check the 'signal'. We'll see what happens.

Someone needs to invent a way to store all the series recording settings. Re-entering all that crap is one of my most hated tasks.

All the older HD channels are fine. No issues, great picture etc.

Go figure.

duncantuna

I get "channel not avail" for about 2 seconds, then it goes away and the channel is fine.  Only on the new channels.

Mark Strube

Quote from: ckkopenski;48785The tech seemed pretty perplexed that I'm only getting this on one of my boxes.

And by "tech" I'm sure you mean Customer Service Representative. ;)

gparris

Quote from: duncantuna;48790I get "channel not avail" for about 2 seconds, then it goes away and the channel is fine.  Only on the new channels.

Not only on the new HD channels...my box turn on default channel is 541 and when I turned the HDTV, AVR and DVR as I always do, I got a message with the HD Theater logo behind it "Channel not available, try again later".
However, the other HD channels, the new, newer and older all came on, so I then went back to 541 and all was good, it was there.

-Looks like TWC is still tweaking the whole SDV thing to me.:rolleyes:

ckkopenski

Had the tech (not the CSR :p ) out today. Said I had too much signal there in the Den. Also indicated the cable from the box to the wall had 'gone bad'. He went outside and fiddled for a few minutes, than came in with brand spanking-new hdc8300 to replace the almost brand spanking one I already had.

Long story short, I now get all the HD channels. On the new ones I am getting a quick flash of the channel not available screen but the channel does then come in

Corey

mhz40

Welcome to the bleeding edge of technology.  You sometimes deal with short term heartburn for long term benefits.

Nels Harvey

I think I'm glad I chose 'Dish'.  Everything works great!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

LoadStar

Until tonight, I was indeed getting the "channel not available" for a second or so, before the channel tuned in. Right now, I'm trying to tune to Discovery HD and all I get is the "channel not available." It simply will not tune in.

*sigh*

ETA: looks like _all_ the SDV channels are "not available" at this point. Grr.

mhz40

Quote from: Nels Harvey;48807I think I'm glad I chose 'Dish'.  Everything works great!

Nels....

My guess is you'll be back to ground based technology at some point.  Satellite providers will eventually have to heavily discount their service, as they have already deployed mpeg 4, have no high-speed Internet bundle, have no plans to integrate the receiver functionality into TV sets and have limited video bandwidth.  Yes, a few more birds can be launched, but this too is becoming more costly per subscriber as ground-based competition heats up with cable and the Telecoms and the market gets fully saturated.
Cable is pushing switched services very hard across the country.  Time Warner seems to be the biggest proponent right now and is investing heavily.  Comcast is right behind, with switched video and DOCSIS 3.0.  It may be a bit painful for some as kinks get worked out... but it's the future technology that will drive virtually limitless channel offerings.  Considering switched digital wasn't even dreamed of 4-5 years ago, it's come a long way to get to this point.  I heard some consumer TV sets are now available with Tru Two-way already.