News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Uverse Install Questions

Started by VoltronMaximus, Friday Oct 17, 2008, 08:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VoltronMaximus

Im getting it installed on Oct. 28, and Im kinda freaking out about what exactly is going to occur.

First heres my setup in the living room; Sony 40", a Sony 7.1 receiver, Xbox 360 Elite with HDDVD addon, PS3, a Wii, PC, and the 360, PS3, Wii and PC are networked (hard wire) through a 2Wire DSL Modem/Router. We rent a lower duplex in West Allis. We want Uverse on one HDTV (living room) and one SDTV (bedroom).

So, does Uverse provide HDMI or Component cables? Will I be able to keep all my componets connected to the internet and have Uverse and have it all remain hard wired? They told us we would get a 2nd box for the bedroom. Could this  box be wireless on the network?

Any other heads up info about the install would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

smithy

Can I ask roughly where you are located? I am also in West Allis but have been told that U-Verse is not yet available by us. Pretty frustrating(!)... I'm ready to switch! :D

LowSignal

Question 1: So, does Uverse provide HDMI or Component cables?

Yes, the tech should have all the cables you will need. Right now HDMI is NOT supported but it is a option if you chose to hook it up that way. Every once in a while there is a TV that just doesn't work 100% with the uverse set top box, but this is the same with TWC. I however have a 42" Vizo that works perfect via hdmi and the uverse box.

Question 2: They told us we would get a 2nd box for the bedroom. Could this box be wireless on the network?

absolutely not, there has to be a coax or cat5 line run to the box.

Here is how the install will go. Someone will come out, take a look at your phone drop and internal wiring and determine if anything needs a replacement. Next a place will have to be selected for the RG(residential gateway) This is like your 2wire dsl modem(it replaces it) only it provides you with TV service as well as Internet access(sometimes VOIP too). From there the two set top boxes will be connected to the RG and you can enjoy your service. It sounds like where your DSL modem is now might be a good spot for the RG. Well Good luck and I hope you enjoy your service!

TPK

Quote from: VoltronMaximus;48680Im getting it installed on Oct. 28, and Im kinda freaking out about what exactly is going to occur.

First heres my setup in the living room; Sony 40", a Sony 7.1 receiver, Xbox 360 Elite with HDDVD addon, PS3, a Wii, PC, and the 360, PS3, Wii and PC are networked (hard wire) through a 2Wire DSL Modem/Router. We rent a lower duplex in West Allis. We want Uverse on one HDTV (living room) and one SDTV (bedroom).

So, does Uverse provide HDMI or Component cables? Will I be able to keep all my componets connected to the internet and have Uverse and have it all remain hard wired? They told us we would get a 2nd box for the bedroom. Could this  box be wireless on the network?

Any other heads up info about the install would be greatly appreciated!:confused:

As far as keeping your existing network components, the simplest thing to do is to install the residential gateway (RG) in the same location as your existing 2Wire router (which I assume you will have to give back to your current DSL provider when you cancel your existing DSL service)..

The RG has a 4-port switch on it for the local network...  It sounds like you are getting 2 set top boxes (STBs) and have 2 devices (Wii, PC) hooked into your existing network, plugged into your existing 2-Wire router...

The simplest thing to do is simply to replace the 2-wire with the U-Verse RG, use your existing wiring to those existing devices (as it is now), and the installers will run new wiring to the 2 STBs (for 4 total devices)...   If you are renting a lower duplex my guess is they will run the new wiring down into the basement and then back up to the rooms where your TVs are (which is probably how your existing wiring is run Im guessing)...

Since there are only 4 network ports on the RG, if you ever want more than 4 devices on the network you will need some sort of a network switch  to create more ports, but I wouldn't worry about that for now...

The U-Verse STBs and your other network devices all plug into the same network, and the RG becomes the central router for all your devices (both U-verse boxes and your existing devices on the internet)...  The RG simply takes the place of your existing 2-wire, and everything should still work the same...

Anyhow, thats the simple way to do it....

If, however, you are a nework fiend (like me), then you will want to use your own router (rather than use the RG as the router)...   You can do this by wiring the RG up to your own router and running the router in the "DMZ Plus" mode on the RG...  This is a bit more complicated (and may require more wiring), however, and there are some advantages to doing this, but for most folks this is really overkill and they are just fine using the RG as the router (which is how they will install it)...

VoltronMaximus

Quote from: smithy;48706Can I ask roughly where you are located? I am also in West Allis but have been told that U-Verse is not yet available by us. Pretty frustrating(!)... I'm ready to switch! :D

Im just north of Greenfield on 72nd. We got a postcard in the mail saying it was available. But I guess people half a block down still cant get it.

VoltronMaximus

Quote from: LowSignal;48708Question 1: So, does Uverse provide HDMI or Component cables?

Yes, the tech should have all the cables you will need. Right now HDMI is NOT supported but it is a option if you chose to hook it up that way. Every once in a while there is a TV that just doesn't work 100% with the uverse set top box, but this is the same with TWC. I however have a 42" Vizo that works perfect via hdmi and the uverse box.

Question 2: They told us we would get a 2nd box for the bedroom. Could this box be wireless on the network?

absolutely not, there has to be a coax or cat5 line run to the box.

Here is how the install will go. Someone will come out, take a look at your phone drop and internal wiring and determine if anything needs a replacement. Next a place will have to be selected for the RG(residential gateway) This is like your 2wire dsl modem(it replaces it) only it provides you with TV service as well as Internet access(sometimes VOIP too). From there the two set top boxes will be connected to the RG and you can enjoy your service. It sounds like where your DSL modem is now might be a good spot for the RG. Well Good luck and I hope you enjoy your service!

Thanks. One more question; Is it possible to have 2 dsl modems/routers working at the same time? Example is could I use the RG in the livingroom and have the 2wire dsl modem hooked up in the bedroom? Sorry if it sounds confusing.

VoltronMaximus

Quote from: TPK;48709As far as keeping your existing network components, the simplest thing to do is to install the residential gateway (RG) in the same location as your existing 2Wire router (which I assume you will have to give back to your current DSL provider when you cancel your existing DSL service)..

The RG has a 4-port switch on it for the local network...  It sounds like you are getting 2 set top boxes (STBs) and have 2 devices (Wii, PC) hooked into your existing network, plugged into your existing 2-Wire router...

The simplest thing to do is simply to replace the 2-wire with the U-Verse RG, use your existing wiring to those existing devices (as it is now), and the installers will run new wiring to the 2 STBs (for 4 total devices)...   If you are renting a lower duplex my guess is they will run the new wiring down into the basement and then back up to the rooms where your TVs are (which is probably how your existing wiring is run Im guessing)...

Since there are only 4 network ports on the RG, if you ever want more than 4 devices on the network you will need some sort of a network switch  to create more ports, but I wouldn't worry about that for now...

The U-Verse STBs and your other network devices all plug into the same network, and the RG becomes the central router for all your devices (both U-verse boxes and your existing devices on the internet)...  The RG simply takes the place of your existing 2-wire, and everything should still work the same...

Anyhow, thats the simple way to do it....

If, however, you are a nework fiend (like me), then you will want to use your own router (rather than use the RG as the router)...   You can do this by wiring the RG up to your own router and running the router in the "DMZ Plus" mode on the RG...  This is a bit more complicated (and may require more wiring), however, and there are some advantages to doing this, but for most folks this is really overkill and they are just fine using the RG as the router (which is how they will install it)...

Thanks for the info. The thing is right now I have 4 network devises (x360,Wii, Ps3 and a PC). All of which are within a few feet of eachother. Thats my main concern is how exactly am I going to have them all on the same network with the addition of 2 new Uverse devices. Now I could negotiate on the Wii being connected, since I dont DL many games and there are not many online multiplayer games. But everything else is a MUST.

UncleMeat

Quote from: VoltronMaximus;48735Thanks. One more question; Is it possible to have 2 dsl modems/routers working at the same time? Example is could I use the RG in the livingroom and have the 2wire dsl modem hooked up in the bedroom? Sorry if it sounds confusing.

I am not sure I understand what you are getting at.

First of all (in very simple terms):
Modem - provides internet to your house
Router - sends single internet connection to multiple computers

The RG from ATT is your new modem.  Depending on your needs, the RG may be able to replace your router as well.  If not, you can run a connection from the RG to your router and connect all your computers from there.  You will need a physical connection between the two devices (network cable).

TPK

Quote from: VoltronMaximus;48736Thanks for the info. The thing is right now I have 4 network devises (x360,Wii, Ps3 and a PC). All of which are within a few feet of eachother. Thats my main concern is how exactly am I going to have them all on the same network with the addition of 2 new Uverse devices. Now I could negotiate on the Wii being connected, since I dont DL many games and there are not many online multiplayer games. But everything else is a MUST.

I see....  So you do want more than 4 network devices (Im not sure why I mis-read that, it seems that you have 4 devices already, not 2)...

If the X360, Wii, PS3, and PC are all within a few feet of each other, then the simplest thing to do is get some sort of network switch for those 4 devices (I will give some examples of these below), put those 4 devices on the network switch, and use a 5th (uplink) port to connect that switch to the rest of the network by wiring that switch into the RG....

It would be real simple to just put the new network switch in the room with all those devices, then you can just wire the devices to that switch (same room, no cabling problems)...  Then you can use one of your existing wires (or, if need be, you can tell the installers that your PC is in the other room and they will run another wire from the RG to the PC) to connect the new switch to the RG...

The nice thing about networking (with ethernet) is that you can hook network switches up to network switches, and create more network ports whereever they are needed...  Of course the downside to this is that by putting all devices on the same network swtich like that, all those devices end up sharing the same physical network connection to the rest of the network (all devices end up sharing the same wire to the other switch), so you can potentially end up with some bandwidth limitations (instead of a dedicated 100 megabit connection, you now have a single 100 megabit connection shared amongst 4 devices)...

However since all we are talking about here is a bunch of gaming connections (and a PC) this is really not of very much concern for you...   I would be a bit leery, however, of sharing connections of 2 STBs this way (since HD requires so much bandwitdh, and I would worry about sharing a single 100 megabit network connection for 2 HD STBs)..  So for STBs the installers will (or at least should) connect each STB up with its own dedicated wire back to the RG (if they are too lazy to do that for some reason, I would demand that they do)...

Here is a 5-port gigabit switch for $20:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4036686&CatId=2786

If you want to go REALLY cheap, you can get this 100 megabit swtich for $10:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3073173&CatId=2786

IF you have a few more dollars to spend, I would get this for $45 (more ports, not a refurb, seems better, etc..):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3142379&CatId=2796

Of course, I would reccommend that if you put in new networking switches, you should stick with gigabit as it has become the new standard...  This even though the RG (as far as I know) has a built in 100 megabit switch (it SHOULD be gigabit, in my opinion)...

Anyhow, hope this helps..

kevbeck122

I've read that AT&T provides 8 port switches if necessary.. though I don't know how true that is.

Best route to go IMO would be to have the STBs directly connected to the RG.  Then connect the switch up to the RG, and the game consoles/PC to the switch.  U-verse TV does not use that much bandwidth (I believe it's around 8Mbps for an HD stream, 2 for an SD, though I could be wrong), and anyways the TV streams are multicast, meaning the traffic only goes to the STBs.. as long as the STBs are only connected to the RG.  If you connect an STB to an external switch, the multicast traffic is treated as broadcast (sent to all ports on the switch) because most switches are "dumb" and don't know the difference between multicast and broadcast.

Sorry if I got too technical...

LowSignal

Yeah the ATT installer "SHOULD" get you a 8 port switch if you need one but that's under the assumption he knows to bring one.

No you cant have a DSL modem and a RG at the same time on the same phone line. Once the installer makes the changes at the phone box your DSL signal dies.

VoltronMaximus

Quote from: LowSignal;48763Yeah the ATT installer "SHOULD" get you a 8 port switch if you need one but that's under the assumption he knows to bring one.

No you cant have a DSL modem and a RG at the same time on the same phone line. Once the installer makes the changes at the phone box your DSL signal dies.

Thanks. Thats what I wanted to hear.

Now one last question. I read in some info ATT sent and it said something about having a 3prong wall outlet. The outlets being used are 2prong. I have 2 surge protectors and each of them has a 3prong cord but I use the adapter to change it to a 2prong to work with the current wall outlet. Will this be acceptable or will these have to be changed?

TPK

Quote from: VoltronMaximus;48811Thanks. Thats what I wanted to hear.

Now one last question. I read in some info ATT sent and it said something about having a 3prong wall outlet. The outlets being used are 2prong. I have 2 surge protectors and each of them has a 3prong cord but I use the adapter to change it to a 2prong to work with the current wall outlet. Will this be acceptable or will these have to be changed?

As long as you have the 3-prong outlet adapter grounded properly (i.e. you have that little metal grounding tab screwed into the wall with the outlet screw) I don't see why they would have a problem with that (since the outlet is grounded, as if it were a 'real' 3-prong outlet, at that point)...   I higly doubt they would stop an install because of that, but who knows...  If the installer wants to be lazy that day and wants to come up with a reason not to do an install maybe they can pick that out as a reason (I would be quite surprised though if that happened)...

Once, when I had a ice-making refrigerator delivered (purchased from Best Buy), the lazy installer refused to install it because I didnt have a water faucet (shut-off) right in back of the refrigerator, even though there was one just a couple of feet away under the sink...  I got so ticked I was tempted to tell him to take the refrigerator back, but I ended up accepting it and had a friend of mine help me hook it up later that day...

Of course, my suggestion would be to replace the outlet (and perhaps all the outlets in your home) with a grounded outlet yourself...

This is extremely easy to do, takes just minutes per outlet, and costs maybe a dollar or so per outlet..  When I moved into my 50-year-old house, I changed all the wall outlets over to grounded outlets...  You can go to Menard's or Home Depot and pick up a 10-pack of grounded outlets (and wall plates) for almost nothing..

I suppose if your renting you will probably have to ask your landlord about this...  Perhaps you can ask for something off of your rent if your willing to go and do it yourself, the landlord should see it as a house improvement..  Hiring an electrician to do this would cost hundereds of dollars so this should be worth something to him...

Just make sure you bring the Mrs. with you (if applicable) when you buy them to help you pick out the color, or else your going to be wrong (no matter what)...

VoltronMaximus

Thanks. Yea, Ill probally install the outlets myself. Ive done it a few times. The reason it is important is I read that if the installer needs to change the outlet, the cost is $55 per outlet. Thats insane.

Thanks for everyones help. Hopefully everything goes smooth on install day. Ive been without a pay tv service for 2years. We told TW to go and do some unmentionable act upon themselves and since then have been getting by on OTA. Welcome back college baskestball! Now that Ill be able to watch tons of games again, maybe my tourney bracket will once again dominate my wifes "I like the teams mascot/colors" picks.:huh?:

VoltronMaximus

Ok, so everything went smooth on install day. The guy showed up an hour early. Was very knowlegable about everything and said it was one of the easiest installs that had that many network devises. Total install time was about an hour and a half, but I shot the sheet with him for about an hour after. This was by far the best install I ever had (compared to a D*Tv install 10yrs ago where the guy left a funny odor in the house and a TWC install 5yrs ago where I thought the 2 kids where going to come back and rob me).