News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV Guide wrong for 58-1 OTA

Started by bimmer_immer, Tuesday Sep 30, 2008, 05:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley Kritzik

Thanks for the news, Dan.  It will help clean matters up for many of us, since we need the OTA version  of your  broadcasts  to  get the HD programming (hint, hint -:) )

Stan

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: DanDyer;48663Gentlemen,
After working with DirecTV, we have been able to determine that DirecTV is/was being given the wrong information copying/routing from Tribune Media Services.  Correspondence between DirecTV and ourselves with Tribune should have this straightened out in about 3 days, according to TMS.  I would advise possbly doing a rescan so the DirecTV guide info can sync up with the OTA program streams once you see the correct number of channels on the guide, ie 58.1, 58.2, and 58.3.  DirectTV said they would also be looking into the zip code issue, but it may take a while.  They advise people to use a zip code that works (posted previously in this forum subject) for their guide systems until they can resolve the issue.
I hope to hear from you that things are good three days from now.
thanks
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer WDJT/WMLW/WYTU/WBME

I/we appreciate the info. being fixed.  I got new and correct information for my "simple" receivers -- H20s -- but, for my H21 with an AM21 (OTA receiver) attached, all was lost -- 771 messages.  I had to go through the antenna reset exercise a couple of times before the items in the program guide could actually be accessed.  I think the AM21 must have a memory, or something.  Anyway, after a few resets, I got the correct stations being received along with good program guide information.

What a difference between 58-1 and old analog 58.  We occasionally forget how sharp and clear the new digital stuff is -- SD or HD.

Stan

DanDyer

STanley,
When you say "resets" for your AM21, do you mean having to rescan it, or reprogram it manually?  I like to have the information if people call in to the station.  It's good to hear the information is getting out faster than expected.
Thanks
Dan

RonH

In order to get it to work for me, I had to go a complete, "Reset Antenna Settings" and then go through the antenna setup process again.

The 58-1 and -2 WMLWDT channels still exist but they can just be removed from the channels you want the AM21 to export.

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: DanDyer;48689STanley,
When you say "resets" for your AM21, do you mean having to rescan it, or reprogram it manually?  I like to have the information if people call in to the station.  It's good to hear the information is getting out faster than expected.
Thanks
Dan

Here's what I do for the HR21/AM21 combo -- and it works well.  The user needs the remote control, and uses the keys/buttons in the center; namely, menu, exit, the four arrow keys, and the select button.  The "-" is used once to confirm "reset", too.

Startwith: menu -->parental, favorites, setup -->system setup -->sat antenna -->antenna setup -->reset off air (confirm with a "-").  This clears the menu items for all OTA channels, and includes a 10 min. download of new satellite menu items.  Don't panic -- it is OK!.

Then repeat above, only select "initial setup" and enter a good Milwaukee zip code.  When this is done, select continue, etc., it will again download progam menu data.  Ten more minutes.

Then, repeat above, and edit off air channels.  This lets you unselect unneeded channels and any duplicates, such as WMLWDT2 which duplicates WDJTD2 for 58-2.  Exiting from that by selecting "done" and "exit", gives a one-minute or so pause while menu items are adjusted.  Then, the process is done.

It's not really scary, but if someone is unfamiliar with DirecTV's menu system, he/she can get a friend to help.  It's hard to really get into trouble.  The key is to do the "reset off air" first to get rid of the old data.  Then it's smooth sailing.

I hope this helps.

Stan

Cheesehead Dave

Post deleted...

JohnRacine

For Cheesehead Dave...could you explain how to download the firmware?

On my AM21, 58-1 is sometimes available and sometimes not, without me doing anything.  For example, yesterday, I checked in the morning (Price is Right), 58-1 was coming in just fine.  After lunch (Ellen) it was blank and I got the "searching for channel" graphic.  Last night (David Letterman) 58-1 was back on just fine again.

I have done the re-set stuff and blanked out WMLW.  It seems to solve the problem for a few days (sometimes for a few hours) and then the problem returns.  It sure is frustrating when I'm recording a show and don't know if it's receiving 58-1 at that moment or not.

If you've found a permanent fix, could you share the complete details so I can do the same?  How do you do a "download"?

Thanks much in advance.

Cheesehead Dave

Quote from: JohnRacine;48748For Cheesehead Dave...could you explain how to download the firmware?

On my AM21, 58-1 is sometimes available and sometimes not, without me doing anything.  For example, yesterday, I checked in the morning (Price is Right), 58-1 was coming in just fine.  After lunch (Ellen) it was blank and I got the "searching for channel" graphic.  Last night (David Letterman) 58-1 was back on just fine again.

I have done the re-set stuff and blanked out WMLW.  It seems to solve the problem for a few days (sometimes for a few hours) and then the problem returns.  It sure is frustrating when I'm recording a show and don't know if it's receiving 58-1 at that moment or not.

If you've found a permanent fix, could you share the complete details so I can do the same?  How do you do a "download"?

Thanks much in advance.
If you haven't gotten it already, version 0290 should show up on your receiver soon.

Tom Snyder

Quoteversion 0290 should show up on your receiver soon.
I got it on both my DVR's last night. Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but Letterman recorded properly last night for me.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: Tom Snyder;48771I got it on both my DVR's last night. Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but Letterman recorded properly last night for me.

The new software for HR20 & 21 is reportedly very good, with some new features such as "Super skip-to-tick", fast searches, etc.  However, during the day, yesterday, D* managed to freeze (again!) all HR20s and 21s that were on!  Later in the afternoon, they forced a firmware download, and everything is OK now.  I finally can get 58-1, -2, and -3!  By the way, WMVS and WMVT have some funny things going on, too, such as some duplication of a few 36- channels.

By and large, though, all is well in satellite land.  Now, we need the Packers to win and the market to right itself.

Stan

RonH

Although the issue with the wrong information in the guides has been fixed, I believe by help from our forum participant, there is still one lingering issue.

WMLWDT2 is still in guides online and in the directV box.  This channel doesn't exist, and I'm not sure it ever did.  Although it can be easily removed from the guide on my HR21 box, I believe it is still causing problems.

I can get everything working great by doing a "reset off air settings" and going through the process again.  After this, I have 58-1, 58-2, and 58-3 all working along with 49-1.  It seems to take around 2 days, and then 58-2 will no longer work again, and I have to repeat the process.

I'm not sure, but this could be tied to software version updates on the box, I think those have been coming every couple days lately.

Anyone else having this issue still, and have you found a permanent fix?