• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WDJT HD Local Programming??

Started by WITI6fan, Tuesday Aug 26, 2008, 07:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WITI6fan

http://www.cbs58.com/pages/harley/

Is WDJT about to have Milwaukee's first HD newscast?

(And on a side note, this was not what I was talking about earlier this month!)

SRW1000

Nice find.

During tonight's Big Brother episode, there was a local, widescreen commercial for the Harley program.  I couldn't tell for sure if it was HD, but it did shrink down to letterboxed/pillarboxed for a split second right at the end.

I didn't think any of the local commercial stations had this ability.

Maybe this is a sign of upgraded capabilities.  It would be nice to not only see local news in HD, but some of the syndicated HD programs, also.

Scott

Tom Snyder

Nice thought, but it takes a WHOLE lot more gear to produce several daily newscasts in HD than it does to film a one hour special.

HOWEVER, 58 has never been able to air HD on a delayed basis.. no Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune or Billy Graham specials... because they haven't had HD record and playback capabilities.  They need a playback unit for this special.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

SRW1000

Watching the show tonight, a lot of the shots looked like they were shot in 480p or 480i widescreen (and I'm not talking about the archival footage).  The Harley graphic at the bottom of the screen didn't look very sharp either, which is usually a pretty good indicator.

There were a couple that looked like they could have been HD, but nothing really popped out and screamed "Hey, I'm in HD here!"

Did anyone else see this and have any thoughts?

Scott

WITI6fan

Some of the outside shots with the anchors look like they're in 16:9 SD.

SRW1000

The more I watched, the more convinced I was that this was not shown in HD as advertised.

The presentation of Easy Rider that followed definitely had some kind of odd technical problem.  It looked like very poor interlacing.  Analog looked bad also.  The promos for it were letterboxed, I wonder why they decided to air the pan and scan version.  If they have HD playback capability, the should've been able to air it in it's true aspect ratio.

The other odd thing about the movie is that somebody edited out the "G****mn" from "The Pusher" song, but only the first couple of times.  The last couple were left completely intact.  And the audio itself went from stereo to mono every so often.  Very strange.

Scott