• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Usa Hd

Started by greg210, Sunday Aug 24, 2008, 03:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg210

Well it didn't take long for TWC to pull USA HD off the air after the Olympics was over. Probably need the bandwidth for another gay or shopping channel.......

Mikey

I just don't understand why they are draggin their feet when it comes to the HD-Consumer.

It's almost as if it is beyond not caring, but rather trying to **** us off...

gparris

:D
Quote from: greg210;47792Well it didn't take long for TWC to pull USA HD off the air after the Olympics was over. Probably need the bandwidth for another gay or shopping channel.......

Actually, the "gay" channel, or LOGO, uses/takes about a fraction of a analogue channel, it being in the digital SD area, not the analogue (2-99), which uses about the space of 2-3 HD channels, depending on the bandwidth allocation.

If you have a "problem" with that channel, this is not the appropriate forum.:rolleyes:

-As for the shopping channels, you're right, it seems that many appear on the bandwidth-wasting analogue channels, where realocation could be made to the digital SD channels (100 and up), but that could probably be a contractual agreement with TWC.

All this could be cleared up IF the TWC Milwaukee engineers would make SDV a reality for use for us Milwaukeeland TWC HD subs:
SDV, at very least, could give us the 13 other HD channels the subs in Green Bay (and surrounding area) get now.:D

tencom

As I understand it TWC is having many problems with going to SDV caused by the system configuration, that is not lending itself well to SDV. Since the present system configuration was engineering in the early 1990s before HDTV was only a concept in  development and not considered viable at that time. So cut some slack and if you don't like it go to someone else and not complain about it incessantly, as that topic is become boring and repetitive as well avoiding the real issue which is poor quality programming , on all media except for PBS. I believe many posters on this site don't mind poor programming as long as it's in HD.

jolson247

That was just the ultimate in "F You"s by TWC dropping USA HD so unceremoniously after the Olympics.  USAHD doesn't have poor programming and we received it just fine over the past few weeks, along with Universal HD, for no added cost or detriment to the vast lineup of HD channels TWC is offering us.  Honestly, I believe that if we have an SD channel included in our cable package (FX, TBS, USA, AMC, SciFi, etc.) and there's a corresponding HD channel available (USA HAS to be available since we got it at the flick of a switch from TWC-Milwaukee), we should be receiving it.  Now.  Why we're not is beyond me.

Visiting friends in Los Angeles last week, they have AMC in HD as well.  I feel like TWC has been dragging their feet for way too long and, yes, while I'd like to switch, I can't because I'm in an apartment complex and I can't install a dish.  I'm at the will of TWC, OK?!?  And, this is a forum, while I' haven't complained in the past, I will use this place as a forum and complain as long as I want about the anemic HD offerings that we're being given.

If I didn't have to pay for it and had a corresponding HD alternative, I wouldn't even subscribe to any of the SD channels.  Maybe that's why they're holding back.  If I only had to subscribe to the 15-20 HD channels instead of the 100 or so SD channels, maybe they couldn't justify such high monthly fees for cable.  I mean, why have a $1500 TV that you have to zoom in on the Aspect so that it looks even worse than regular SD because the show is shown in letterbox AND column box because it's supposed to be shown in HD.  Honestly, what's the holdup?  What's the problem TWC?!??!?!?

wireblsam

Do you think that we may see more movement on the SDV front now that the Olympics are over?  I would have to think that if TWC screwed up the SDV implementation (which they are bound to do) during the Olympics their unhappy customer rate would go from say 60% to 80%.

Talos4

Quote from: tencom;47796As I understand it TWC is having many problems with going to SDV caused by the system configuration, that is not lending itself well to SDV. Since the present system configuration was engineering in the early 1990s before HDTV was only a concept in  development and not considered viable at that time. So cut some slack and if you don't like it go to someone else and not complain about it incessantly, as that topic is become boring and repetitive as well avoiding the real issue which is poor quality programming , on all media except for PBS. I believe many posters on this site don't mind poor programming as long as it's in HD.

I was right with you until the last two sentences.

Your opinion of quality programming is not mine or anyone else's.

I like PBS just fine, I also like Dirty Jobs, Biography, Holmes on Homes, NatGeo Explorer, Torchwood, Ultimate Trailers, NFL Total Access, SpeedTV, Intervention, etc, etc, just to name a few.

Yes, they all happen to be in HD, Some of those are not available to TWC customers. If a sub doesn't have programming they want in HD why can't they complain?  

I happen to think it's good programming. Bad programming whether it's in HD or not is STILL bad programming.

How many times can you watch Battle of Hood and Bismark?

I bought my HD Display 4 years ago, That same program was on in the Flanners showroom then. And it's only Widescreen NOT HD. (IIRC)

RLJSlick

I agree with most of the stuff you say here, but I have issues with 2 things, first, this IS a HDTV form, we talk about problems with HDTV, incessantly so at times, but thats what we do here. Second, you need to listening to what you preach; you compain about people that come on here thats complaining, but why do you click on this thead if you know that is what people are doing. No one is making you discuss this on here. It's only boring and repetitive because you come to this sort of thread.  Not trying to get person, just my 2 cents.

Quote from: tencom;47796As I understand it TWC is having many problems with going to SDV caused by the system configuration, that is not lending itself well to SDV. Since the present system configuration was engineering in the early 1990s before HDTV was only a concept in  development and not considered viable at that time. So cut some slack and if you don't like it go to someone else and not complain about it incessantly, as that topic is become boring and repetitive as well avoiding the real issue which is poor quality programming , on all media except for PBS. I believe many posters on this site don't mind poor programming as long as it's in HD.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

RLJSlick

hmmm I think that is why we come here, to get away from the wives, and complain, incessantly!  :D

Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

leprechaunshawn

So, not only is TWC holding back on giving us more HD but they are actually taking one away.  I understand that USA-HD was only to be temporary, but if they were able to carry it for two weeks without affecting the rest of the channel lineup, then bandwith isnt really the issue here.

Thank god AT&T came knocking on my door a couple weeks ago to tell me that U-Verse is now available in my area.  I am strongly considering making the switch but I've heard that the U-Verse HD picture isnt all that good.

RLJSlick

Not so sure about AT&T U-Verse, after what I saw over my buddy house in town in Racine, I really wasn't that impress with the HD side of it. It was ok, but on his 50" tv it just didn't look that good. I guess it could have been his TV, but it was new, so I doubt that.
Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

mhz40

Sounds like you have some inside scoop.  Anyway, most CATV systems across the country were rebuilt in the '90's.  If I remember correctly, by then the HD deployment on the broadcast side had already been delayed once or twice due to bickering on which technologies to use (I do recall hoping it was deployed while I could still see well enough to enjoy it!).  For some reason, Congress couldn't or wouldn't throw down the gauntlet...  So cable knew what the design requirements were in terms of knowing HD was on the horizon, but I'm not sure if they expected it to go beyond a few dozen channels nor explode so quickly (heck, analog isn't even shut down yet!)
As far as SDV goes, I don't know any more than the next unpaid opinion here regarding the deployment plans.  However, based on the fact that Green Bay is up and running (assuming now that reports here are accurate), isn't it logical something will launch soon in the Milwaukee area?  I doubt Green Bay was built and Milwaukee simply abandoned...
I'm sure your patience will be rewarded.  From what I understand about the technology, SDV is very effective in terms of scaling once it's set up and running.  Nevertheless, it's based on a few bleeding edge technologies and isn't necessarily as easy as screwing in a light-bulb.

kevbeck122

The SDV channels in the 1800s have worked for weeks.. I don't know what the problem is.

gparris

Maybe there will be one large HD channel layout addition sometime this year.:D

If TWC wants to make it right here, (assuming the contracts for Wisconsin for HD channels apply to Milwaukeeland) so the 13 HD channels will be added all-at-once.

Navigator Mystro works better than we were told, so maybe Milwaukee TWC is being more careful with the SDV implementation locally so it works good, too.
-But patience is waning for many TWC HD subs lately, as other providers offer more and more HD channels every month.
For those without any options (renters and those without a view of the southern sky), TWC has screwed them so far, big time with a total lack of HD channel additions.:bang:

gparris

Maybe there will be one large HD channel layout addition sometime this year.:D

If TWC wants to make it right here, (assuming the contracts for Wisconsin for HD channels apply to Milwaukeeland) so the 13 HD channels will be added all-at-once.

Navigator Mystro works better than we were told, so maybe Milwaukee TWC is being more careful with the SDV implementation locally so it works good, too.
-But patience is waning for many TWC HD subs lately, as other providers offer more and more HD channels every month.

Unfortunately, for those without any options (renters and those without a view of the southern sky), TWC has screwed them so far, big time with a total lack of HD channel additions.:bang:

Winter will coming soon enough (more inside TV watching) for the others that can switch and TWC Milwaukee should recognize this and quickly add those missing HD channels - see my signature below.;)