• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Directv channel moves screws over wisconsin game 8/30?

Started by RonH, Saturday Aug 23, 2008, 12:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonH

A few weeks ago directv moved BTN from channel 220 to 610.  The alternates on 218 and 219 are gone, and moved nowhere for now.  I've read elsewhere they will eventually show up on 609 and 612, which are fuelhd and espnu currently.  These channels are slated to move on 9/10, which is after the first two weeks of the season, for which the first two wisconsin games are on BTN.

So it appears that next saturday 8/30, we will only have one BTN channel, and no alternates.  The "primary feed" is the ohio state game.  There are a total of 5 games on the BTN at 11am on 8/30.  We will only get one, which will not be the wisconsin game?

This is rather unfortunate considering a major reason for my switch to directv was for wisconsin games on the BTN.  I realize they are non-conference games, but still...

AndrewP

It will be 4 alt HD BTN channels, 617, 618, etc. Don't remember exact numbers. So I am not worry yet.

Talos4

From a DBSTalk thread:

"The Big Ten Network now resides on channel 610 as part of a system-wide realignment that includes other sports networks. The Big Ten Network will continue to be available on DIRECTV's CHOICE package.

DIRECTV will continue to offer additional football games on "overflow" channels. The primary "overflow" channels will be 609 and 612. Additional games may also reside on channels 608, 611, 615, 617 and 623 when necessary. When produced in HD, DIRECTV will carry each "overflow" game in HD as well. Check your on-screen channel guide or BigTenNetwork.com for specific game assignments throughout the season."

I would imagine that it will be the same as last season, the channels will populate the guide around the Wednesday before game day.

I just add the overflow channels to my favorites menu and keep them there for the duration of the season.

I wouldn't worry about it.

RonH

Thanks for the info.  Since I'm a BTN "rookie", I wasn't aware the alternate games would populate a few days before.  I'll look again on friday.

AndrewP

Game is set:

SATURDAY, AUGUST 30TH FOOTBALL GAMES

Catch your Big Ten games on DIRECTV! See below for details in your area.

12:00 PM (ET) / 11:00 AM (CT)
YOUNGSTOWN STATE VS. OHIO STATE: channel 610 (SD) or 610 (HD)
AKRON VS. WISCONSIN *: channel 623 (SD) or 623-1 (HD)
MAINE VS. IOWA: channel 608 (SD) or 608-1 (HD)
WESTERN KENTUCKY VS. INDIANA *: channel 611 (SD) or 611-1 (HD)
COASTAL CAROLINA VS. PENN STATE: channel 617 (SD) or 617-1 (HD)
7:00 PM (ET) / 6:00 PM (CT)
NORTHERN ILLINOIS VS. MINNESOTA: channel 610 (SD) or 610 (HD)

basshive

Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Talos4

Oh boy, The blue clashes with the teal sidebanners, it hurts my eyes!:D

There you go RonH. You watch the big Ten until your eye's bleed.

RLJSlick

Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

coachcarstens

Was anyone able to watch the Badgers on Dish Network today?  All I get is Ohio State, the alternate channels are empty.  :bang:

RonH

It worked fine on BTN on directv.  Although it appears that the game was 480i widescreen.  This aligns with the big ten network website, which didn't say the wisc game would be HD.

On another note, after glancing at a few games this first day of college football - FSN has got a nice graphics package and great quality.  Very little stuff cluttering up the picture, almost as good as HDNET's broadcasts.  I'm still bothered by ESPNs greying out of the top 1" of the picture and covering up the bottom 1" with their ticker.