• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

U-verse voice available in Milwaukee

Started by TPK, Tuesday Aug 19, 2008, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPK

I guess the U-verse phone service is available now in Milwaukee...

Its $40/mo unlimited, or $30/mo for 1000 minutes (or something like that)...  The unlimited includes long distance, not sure if the limited plan includes long distance or not...

I just ordered it up today, but my install date isn't until the second week in September (there were earlier dates, but that date worked out best for me), so I won't have it for a while....

The only incentives they were able to give me was some sort of $50 cash back rebate for porting my phone number over, plus she was able to waive the installation charges (gee, thanks)....  The $10 "Double pack discount" I received for having both internet and TV still applies as before, and there are no additional discounts (i.e. no "Triple pack") which sort of sucks...

When I asked about other promotions she mentioned that they have a promotion that gives you a higher tier of TV for the same price as your lower tier, but since I already have the highest tier (U-400) I don't really qualify for that (gee, thanks again)....  But perhaps others might be able to take advantage of that, so I am mentioning it here...

I had AT&T regular (pots) phone service and I had long distance from this wierd company (primus telecom) which started charging me $5.00 month extra for a "low usage" fee last year, which irritates me enough to pull the trigger and switch...

Its not really going to save me any money, although I suppose it might if I were making lots of long distance phone calls....  At least this way I dont have to worry about the clock ticking since its unlimited calling and long distance, plus now I can consolidate 3 bills (u-verse, phone, long distance) into one, so its more of a convienience thing for me I guess than a money saver...  Plus now the phone numbers will show up on my TV (as they do with cable) and I can review my calls using channel 92 (or whatever that is)....

Even though I'm not saving any money really, its still worthwhile to switch...  Assuming of course the phone works at all, which I guess still remains to be seen...

Bebop

It's almost twice as much as other VOIP service.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

kevbeck122

Yeah, even AT&T's own VoIP service (CallVantage) is $25 a month for unlimited.  You're probably paying for the dedicated bandwidth.

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

TPK

Quote from: Bebop;47718It's almost twice as much as other VOIP service.

Ya, it seems kinda silly that I am paying $100/mo for TV (u-400), another $55/mo for internet (max), and another $40/mo for telephone...

So baiscally I am paying $200 a month to AT&T, to recieve 3 seperatley-billed services delivered to my home over a single DSL line....  So basically I am paying 3 seperate times for the same thing :rolleyes:

Oh, I suppose its a bit more involved than that (like at&t still has to pay for the TV content and back-end bandwitdh), but in reality that is what it is....

I guess its time to start cutting back on services....  Paying $200/mo to AT&T is making me ill....

.... I still can't get over this video (found in the DSL reports forum post linked above):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6nuwQmhrZ8

.... Funny because its true ;)