• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV to boast 130 HD channels on August 14th, 1080p movies later this year

Started by basshive, Tuesday Jul 29, 2008, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basshive

I may have just found my reason to upgrade the ole' TV!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/directv-remains-clear-hd-leader/story.aspx?guid=%7BB3E33FE2-C94F-4B6A-AEFA-A7D0C16222BC%7D&dist=hppr

QuoteEL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 28, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to dominate the HD landscape by delivering significantly more quality national HD channels than any other television provider in the nation via the most advanced technology. Beginning August 14, DIRECTV will launch more than 30 additional HD channels, bringing the total HD channel lineup to 130.

DIRECTV will also transmit all of its HD programming in the MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding standard, by the end of this month - the first to do so in the industry. All HD programming will also be available in the Dolby Digital audio format, and later this year, DIRECTV will begin offering movies in 1080p, the highest resolution format available for HD video enthusiasts and the same format used by Blu-Ray HD DVDs.

Among the new HD channels that DIRECTV will launch next month are Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Planet Green HD, ABC Family HD, additional DIRECTV HD pay per view channels and an additional 23 Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) in HD 24 hours a day.
"Despite all the sound and fury of confusing HD claims from our competitors, our customers understand that DIRECTV is the destination for the most compelling and complete lineup of HD content," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "Our message is clear - DIRECTV is the content leader, and our delivery of the best quality HD via the most advanced technology is one way we continue to dominate this category and offer our more than 17 million customers nationwide an unparalleled entertainment experience."

In addition to its full lineup of linear HD channels, DIRECTV continues to lead the industry with the most sports HD programming available, by broadcasting exclusive, interactive sports packages like NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), NCAA(R) MEGA MARCH MADNESS(TM) and NASCAR HOTPASS(TM) all in crystal-clear HD. DIRECTV will also continue to add HD content to its newly launched DIRECTV on Demand platform.

The full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, including the new channels, and details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com.
With the DIRECTV 11 satellite now part of the fleet and the launch of the DIRECTV 12 satellite next year, DIRECTV will have the capacity to deliver 200 national HD channels and 1,500 local HD and digital channels in addition to new advanced programming services for customers nationwide.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

RLJSlick

That's cool and all, but every time I talked to someone about their Direct TV, the 2 things I got out of them is that when the weather bad, you might as well turn off the TV, and that it's a very compressed signal. So adding more channels will just make that worst.

Quote from: basshive;47294I may have just found my reason to upgrade the ole' TV!!

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/directv-remains-clear-hd-leader/story.aspx?guid=%7BB3E33FE2-C94F-4B6A-AEFA-A7D0C16222BC%7D&dist=hppr
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

AndrewP

:huh?:

Do you know that D* activates new satellite? So no overcompression here:D

Bluto

I'm with Andrew on this - 'overcompression' is no longer an issue.

Rain fade happens.  But when I had TWC, its downtime seemed to be higher to me than the relatively short, infrequent D* fade issues I have now.

picopir8

Quote from: basshive;47294
Quoteand later this year, DIRECTV will begin offering movies in 1080p

What does this mean?
Will they broadcast true 1080p?
Will they simply offer progressive scan but continue to downres to 2/3 the resolution of real HD?*
Or will their boxes upres their HD-Lite signal to output 1080p?

*Downresing horizontal res from 1920 pixels to 1280 pixels throws out 1/3 of the data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-Lite

AndrewP

Quote from: picopir8;47304What does this mean?
Will they simply offer progressive scan but continue to downres to 2/3 the resolution of real HD?*

*Downresing horizontal res from 1920 pixels to 1280 pixels throws out 1/3 of the data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD-Lite

HD-Lite as of August 1 will be a thing of the past with D*.
They will offer MPEG4 versions of several remaining MPEG2 HD-Lite channels, like ESPN, HDNet, TNT and several other channels.
With MPEG4 format D* is not downres anything. Even HBO offers their channels now as MPEG4 HD channels, so it actually TWC will convert it to MPEG2 and it will be up to them to downres it:D

basshive

QuoteThat's cool and all, but every time I talked to someone about their Direct TV, the 2 things I got out of them is that when the weather bad, you might as well turn off the TV, and that it's a very compressed signal. So adding more channels will just make that worst.

I am not sure where they are getting the *very compressed signal*. That sounds like how things were a few years ago and even then it was very tolerable (not exactly OTA quality but good for mpeg2). With mpeg4 which they began introducing atleast 3 years ago that has not been the case.  The losing signal thing is very subjective. Sure in some instances that can happen but it has alot to do with alignment, cables, grounding. So many factors coming into play.

QuoteWhat does this mean?

If you have seen the mpeg4 locals and premiums you would know they easily rival OTA and TWC's HD channels. The HD-Lite thing is old...

From - http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/143550-directv-1080p-movies-info.html

QuoteOn the 1080p, it will be used for movies, including DIRECTV on Demand, MoviesNow and linear PPV movies (a linear channel is a regular channel on DIRECTV). So as I understand it, both internet and satellite delivery methods will be supported.
On exact system capatibility, all of our MPEG-4 capable HD boxes will have that capability -- although the rollout schedule will vary by receiver model as we have in past rollouts.

This will be enabled with a software download, no hardware replacement is needed.

Should be taken with a grain of salt I suppose till we see/hear from D* ourselves.

All the capacity talk is a tad unwarrented as D* is not exactly acting like most cable cos and squishing more on each QAM, new sats are launched and capacity just continues to increase. Mpeg4 helps a great deal too.
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360

Bebop

Quote from: AndrewP;47306HD-Lite as of August 1 will be a thing of the past with D*.
They will offer MPEG4 versions of several remaining MPEG2 HD-Lite channels, like ESPN, HDNet, TNT and several other channels.
With MPEG4 format D* is not downres anything. Even HBO offers their channels now as MPEG4 HD channels, so it actually TWC will convert it to MPEG2 and it will be up to them to downres it:D

Anyone knows that for a fact?

Mpeg-4 is just a more efficient way of compression. It doesn't mean it is incapable down-rez.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

So far so good with MPEG-4, maybe someone on avsforums with enough test equipment can eyeball it channel to channel, scene to scene like they did with MPEG-2 (remember HD-Lite?).

IMO, now that competition is heating up in the sat. business, Dishnetwork vs. DirectTV, more competitiveness should bring not only more HD channels, but more quality in compression, too...that could eventually be the next "big thing" as more 1080p rolls in.:D

As for me, all it will take is a way to get CBSHD so I can record it and I'm there, but that's just me...I would jump at the chance to get the Chicago HD stations on a DirecTV subscription (all 5 HD networks), but no (and I am so close to the border!):(

basshive

QuoteAs for me, all it will take is a way to get CBSHD so I can record it and I'm there

Antenna not an option?
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360

AndrewP

Quote from: gparris;47357As for me, all it will take is a way to get CBSHD so I can record it and I'm there, but that's just me...I would jump at the chance to get the Chicago HD stations on a DirecTV subscription (all 5 HD networks), but no (and I am so close to the border!):(

I don't know what is wrong with your location, but I can get Chicago OTA with attic installed CM4248.
In our office in Kenosha we get Chicago OTA without an antenna, just with long RG6 cable. Can you just try a simple OTA first?

gparris

Thanks for the info, but it's a been there, tried that already.:D
Our house's location is on the slope of a hill, surrounded by houses and trees where the signals come from, so both Chicago and Milwaukee are blocked.

BTW, I just checked and my DirecTV account is still open, so I am very close to going with them anyway.
All I have to do is beg them to get me 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD box for less than $397 and I get spousal approval, provided that:
-I can get my computer to record CBS58' HD on very basic cable for playback, say, at least in the adjoining main HT/family room, that could work, too, for time-shifting.;)

tbest1797

I'm going back and forth on switching from U-Verse to DirectTV.  The more channels they add the more frustrating it gets.  I would switch in a heartbeat if that Media Center tuner was released.  I also want Chicago OTA.  I was thinking about waiting for next Spring after the shutdown to finally get an antenna put up on the roof since I can't anticipate what my results will be with ABC7 and CBS2.  I figured if the timing was right then I might get a dish installed at that time.  If they actually add WGN America by the end of August I could pull the trigger on a dish before then.

I am wondering what some of you DirectTV subs are currently paying.  I was looking at the current top offer which means paying for Sunday Ticket for 4 months.  I don't really need Sunday Ticket but might be willing to try it for a year.  What I want to know is what the heck the bill will actually be once the real fees hit.  I'm interested in HBO, Showtime, Sports Pack, and all the other HD channels.  How much am I gonna end up paying a month?

Tom

AndrewP

Tom,

You shouldn't have a problem in Racine with Chicago OTA. You maybe even pull ch. 26, which I get occaisionally here in Muskego. Most likely even one antenna CM 4228 will work for both Milwaukee and Chicago. Just turn it towards Chicago, remove back screen and you shoud get Milwaukee. Did not work for me, because I am to west from Milwaukee - Chicago line. But if you will be close enough to that line, then it should work.

I am paying currently $113 for everything pack with two HD DVRs and taxes. I still have $20 off discount for another 6 months.

gparris

Not every location in our area can get every HD channel, just because one location does, the other cannot, as in my situation.;)

With the digital transition coming, the analogue channels will be off once and for all...maybe then things will change with sat. local HD carriage by then...all HD channels will be available?:confused:

tbest1797: Get what best suits you for HD channel delivery, but remember, all providers will keep on delivering more and more HD channels eventually
(unless it is TWC Milwaukee)
- so your choice between the two sat companies and U-Verse will always be changing, if it is HD channel availablity-only, as the deciding factor for you.:)