• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Olympic Games Coverage

Started by madsdad, Monday Jul 14, 2008, 02:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madsdad

I have DirectTV and see that NBC will be broadcasting the Opening ceromonies of the Olympics  13 hours after they have taken place.  So I have 2 questions.  

1.  Does anyone know any place in the area where I can go to watch CBC(Canadian TV) in the Milwaukee area?  Typically in the past the opening cermonies are covered without a US slant and without commericals.

2.  If you have Universiual HD is it worth it

Thanks in advance

Mark

Talos4

I can't answer the first question but,

UHD is scheduled to air 379 hours of olympic coverage.

Mostly 24 hrs daily of both HD simulcasts and re-airing of events.

During the last olympics UHD had event coverage that NBC did not.

The covergae is going to across the NBC family of channels.

USA
MSNBC
CNBC
OXYGEN
TELEMUNDO and
UHD

Here's the link to more complete info:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/newscenter/news/newsid=148556.html

basshive

w00h00! :rock:

http://dtv.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=322748

QuoteDIRECTV Launches NBC Universal's 2008 Beijing Olympic Games On Demand
More Than 500 Titles Available Through the Conclusion of the
Beijing Games

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 17, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV customers are catching Olympic fever early this year via a special video on demand (VOD) Olympics programming package now available on DIRECTV's VOD service, DIRECTV on DEMAND, through an agreement with NBC Universal (NBCU). DIRECTV on DEMAND is a new VOD service that is available to those customers who have the DIRECTV Plus(R) HD DVR or R22 DVR receiver.

As promotion for NBCU's coverage of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games (Aug. 8-24, 2008), NBCU is providing DIRECTV with 10 VOD titles each week, including athlete features, Beijing previews, and more. The service will be available through the end of the Olympics in both standard-definition and HD. NBCU will produce more than 500 titles now through the end of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

To access the VOD content, customers with VOD-enabled DVRs can tune to channel 1008 or go to the home of DIRECTV on DEMAND - Channel 1000 - to see highlights of Gold Medal winning performances.

"NBCU's 2008 Beijing Olympic Games content is an exciting addition to our growing DIRECTV on DEMAND lineup and a great opportunity to generate anticipation for the uniquely enhanced Olympic coverage that NBC plans to distribute to the subscribers of DIRECTV this summer," said Eric Shanks, executive vice president, DIRECTV Entertainment.

"Our robust On Demand offering for the 2008 Olympic Games is unprecedented and will provide our customers a unique way to access the exciting content from Beijing," said Bridget Baker, president, TV Networks Distribution, NBC Universal.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ:DTV - News), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 17 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with 95 national HD channels - more quality HD channels than any other television provider. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed all national cable companies for eight years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.

About NBC Universal TV Networks Distribution

NBC Universal TV Networks Distribution, a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's preeminent media companies, drives the company's cable strategic development and growth including video-on-demand, pay-per-view, HDTV, TV EST (electronic sell-through), TV Wireless distribution and retransmission consent, and oversees the cable distribution, marketing and local ad sales of fifteen properties (Bravo, Chiller, CNBC, CNBC World, MSNBC, mun2, NBC Weather Plus, Oxygen, SCI FI Channel, ShopNBC, Sleuth, Telemundo, Universal HD, USA Network and the Olympics on cable).

SOURCE: DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683

Copyright Business Wire 2008

News Provided by COMTEX
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

John L

I imagine WTMJ-DT will open up some multi channels to expand the Olympics coverage like they did in 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised if they open up channels 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, etc. and also one of those channels to air the Packers exhibition games on the 16th and 22nd while its also shown in both analog and digital on channel 18.

Of all the cool things TV can do with Digital.

-John L.

LoadStar

Quote from: John L;47198I imagine WTMJ-DT will open up some multi channels to expand the Olympics coverage like they did in 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised if they open up channels 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, etc. and also one of those channels to air the Packers exhibition games on the 16th and 22nd while its also shown in both analog and digital on channel 18.

-John L.

Extremely unlikely. I've seen some of the schedules NBC Universal has put out, and not one has referenced anything about digital multicast. (They did not do multicast in 2006 either.) Schedule: http://www.nbcumv.com/special/S__Press_DEPTS_NBCMV_Press_Kits_2008_olympics_schedule9.pdf

NBC Universal is relying on the many cable networks they now own to deliver programming - you'll see programming on USA, Bravo, CNBC, MSNBC, Oxygen, Telemundo, Universal HD, as well as NBC of course. (HD coverage will be available on USA HD and Bravo HD... though not on Time Warner, they don't carry either.) Some cable systems are also adding two specialty networks, NBC Olympic Soccer Channel and NBC Olympic Basketball Channel. (Not Time Warner - they haven't announced any plans to carry either.)

Any programming not available over-the-air or on one of the networks of NBC can be seen live on the internet at http://www.nbcolympics.com/.

As for the football games - if Sinclair is carrying those games, they likely have the exclusive broadcast rights... Journal would have absolutely no ability to show them.

Tom Snyder

No Packer games on TMJ4 on the 16th and 22nd. They have assigned the rights for both those games to Sinclair.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Bebop

Quote from: John L;47198I imagine WTMJ-DT will open up some multi channels to expand the Olympics coverage like they did in 2004.

-John L.

I hope not, unless you want to watch pixelated pictures. Muliti-cast is picture quality's worst enemy.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun