• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner...channels 2-100

Started by xsqsme, Thursday Jun 19, 2008, 08:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xsqsme

I have a hd-dvr with TWC. Channels 2-100 are "fuzzier" than 100 and above. Is this because TWC is still getting analog, on my regular tvs with regular receivers its not a problem...anyone else with same problem?:confused:

cdnelson

Someone with more technical expertise than me can pile on, but my simple answer is this:

The analog signals will look "grainier" or fuzzy on your HDTV because they are analog...and standard def.  Your HD TV is built for the clearer, digital signals that produce the higher definitions.

If you're like me, you'll even notice the difference for shows that are not in HD.  This last season of Survivor for instance...it was not in HD, but the picture on 505 vs. 5 was like night and day for us.

Also...if you have the analog channels "stretched" or "zoomed" to fill the whole screen that can make it worse...in my opinion.

oz

Quote from: cdnelson;46915If you're like me, you'll even notice the difference for shows that are not in HD.  This last season of Survivor for instance...it was not in HD, but the picture on 505 vs. 5 was like night and day for us.

Agreed - Survivor is a great example.  And next season it will be in glorious HD!

tencom

Quote from: cdnelson;46915Someone with more technical expertise than me can pile on, but my simple answer is this:

The analog signals will look "grainier" or fuzzy on your HDTV because they are analog...and standard def.  Your HD TV is built for the clearer, digital signals that produce the higher definitions.

If you're like me, you'll even notice the difference for shows that are not in HD.  This last season of Survivor for instance...it was not in HD, but the picture on 505 vs. 5 was like night and day for us.

Also...if you have the analog channels "stretched" or "zoomed" to fill the whole screen that can make it worse...in my opinion.

Digital only hides the grainy video because of the DCT quantization that is used to
lower the data rate which also removes much  picture detail. If you would compare the original source analog studio HD video with the digitally compressed video I believe you would see many discernable differences, between the two with analog being better.  The only case were this would not be true if you had poor reception of an analog signal. But with a good receiving antenna in the Milwaukee area you should get a more then adequate signal  strength so a grainy picture should not be a problem with analog Because of the greater bandwidth of HD video, grainy video, should be more of a problem then with standard definition.

xsqsme

That explains it...Thank You!