News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Weather woes

Started by Dan the Man, Sunday Jun 08, 2008, 08:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

Well, this weather this weekend takes the cake for crappy. I have to admit we lost D* reception at least 3 times on Sunday and a few times on Sat. night as well. Not only did we loose satellite signals, but we had trouble receiving the OTA digital signals as well. More then a few times we could not get 4-2 to see weather plus. One time today we lost sattelite even though it was not raining that hard. It must have been the really thick cloud cover due to the strong storms.

I was wondering who else had issues and how bad it was. The one time today this AM I checked signal strength and it was 0's all across the board. I can't say I ever recall that happening from a storm system before.

Hope everyone one is safe and dry.

HDefinicktion

I was going to brag to some of my cable friends, but I finally lost it tonight while trying to watch the US/Argentina game twice.  Otherwise, OTA and D* was live for me all weekend here in Waterford.

Bebop

Wish reception was the only thing I have to worry about this past few days. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Danimal

I must say that we have some very crappy weather but have not had any TWC problems. What really grabbed my goat was at 9:00pm this evening, TWC thought it was a great time to shoot me a software update....:mad:

Even during the worst of the storms this weekend we never lost our signal.

aaron

A power surge  hit my house around 7:00PM and killed my TV, it only displays black and white now. :(

Here's hoping that my homeowners insurance will cover it. Either way it will be nice to upgrade, but I really liked this TV.

Talos4

Not a great weekend for D*.

But, I really wasn't that worried about it anyway. More worried about overflowing gutters, sump pumps and the lake forming in my side yard.

Blitzburgh

Our DirecTV was up all weekend non stop until around 9:15pm on Sunday.

We had a tornado go thru.

gb4fan92

Quote from: Dan the Man;46722Well, this weather this weekend takes the cake for crappy. I have to admit we lost D* reception at least 3 times on Sunday and a few times on Sat. night as well. Not only did we loose satellite signals, but we had trouble receiving the OTA digital signals as well. More then a few times we could not get 4-2 to see weather plus. One time today we lost sattelite even though it was not raining that hard. It must have been the really thick cloud cover due to the strong storms.

I was wondering who else had issues and how bad it was. The one time today this AM I checked signal strength and it was 0's all across the board. I can't say I ever recall that happening from a storm system before.

Hope everyone one is safe and dry.

The reception really sucked last nite. My wife kept saying "this is better than cable?" But what erked me the most was I was having the same problems with OTA as the satelite. I thought an OTA was suppose to be a good backup for any satelite problems. My OTA is connected to the new AM21 tuner I recently bought.

Bebop

Quote from: aaron;46734A power surge  hit my house around 7:00PM and killed my TV, it only displays black and white now. :(

Here's hoping that my homeowners insurance will cover it. Either way it will be nice to upgrade, but I really liked this TV.

No surge protector?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Jack 1000

Quote from: aaron;46734A power surge  hit my house around 7:00PM and killed my TV, it only displays black and white now. :(

How old is the TV?  Did you have it surge protected?  Are you sure its not still a weather/related cable issue?  If you have cable, I would still call them to verify that it is the TV and not a weather related problem first.

No TWC problems here, either on Road Runner Cable or even the Navigator Guide.  I think that there was maybe one box boot and that was it.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

aaron

Quote from: Bebop;46755No surge protector?

I was using a surge protector, but apparently not a good enough one. If I can find my receipt and the packaging it might have an equipment warranty

aaron

Quote from: Jack 1000;46756How old is the TV?  Did you have it surge protected?  Are you sure its not still a weather/related cable issue?  If you have cable, I would still call them to verify that it is the TV and not a weather related problem first.

About 2.5 years old, plugged into a surge protector. There was a big crash of thunder, the power flashed on and off a couple times in a few seconds, and once everything came back on the TV was in black and white on the cable box (plugged in via component), and on the Xbox (on the other component input) the colors are all "off": some seem magnified, others dull, some missing. I tried rebooting the cable box, and unplugging/plugging stuff in, but no dice so far.

cdnelson

Just on a whim...have you tried unplugging the TV for a few minutes, hitting power (with it still unplugged), and then plugging it back in?

Family members have had similar problems in the past (granted...older TV's), and this has cleared up any post-storm issues.

Either way...good luck!

basshive

Report here from Waterford. Sadly we did not fare nearly as well as Blitz or HDefinicktion. I would say we lost about 2-3 hours worth of viewing not counting 1am-6am times since I was not watching :(

Honestly I pretty much expect it as I am already using a pole mount on a hill, surrounded by trees in every direction. Not sure much can be done to improve my situation. The pain in the ass was that it seemed like everytime I lose signal it was primetime viewing so I had to go in and re-record shows.  We seem to make it through normal rain showers ok but these past few have just been brutal.  One downer is I have no OTA backup.. Going to be a real issue come football season with CBS ;/

Thankfully we had a lot queued up to watch and my wife did not complain too much. I was really expecting the "We left TWC and now we deal with this?!?!?!". My response is, I would rather loose signal in every rain storm than go back to TWC. :)
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

skier8734

I've had no TWC or RR on the eastside since I got home Sat. night.  Called TWC on Sunday and they said my node probably got struck by lightning and they'll get to it when they get to it but set up a trouble call for Wed. and gave me a whopping $14 credit.  I'm pretty disapointed that it still isn't up 48hrs later, not quite sure why I need a tech to come to my apt when it's the node that's down, and can't wait for U-verse to become available maybe they actually care about their customers.