News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Analog-Digital Conversion Problem

Started by djberry, Sunday Jun 08, 2008, 10:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djberry

The other day I bought an Insignia converter box from Best Buy.  I have an older TV with rabbit ears, that has worked fine for all the local TV channels.  I hooked up the converter box, and everything worked fine, except I cannot get CBS Channel 58.  I can get the other channels just fine.  I tried several things, including manual channel signal location, but that did not work.  I tried 3 different rabbit ear-type antennas, and still no Channel 58.  The display on the TV says "No Signal" when I tune to 58 (actually 58-1).  What is the problem, and what are suggestions for correcting the problem?  Someone has suggested a new antenna, but that is not the probelm, since I get all the other channels just fine with each of the 3 antennas I tried.  Thank you.

Nels Harvey

Quote from: djberry;46708The other day I bought an Insignia converter box from Best Buy.  I have an older TV with rabbit ears, that has worked fine for all the local TV channels.  I hooked up the converter box, and everything worked fine, except I cannot get CBS Channel 58.  I can get the other channels just fine.  I tried several things, including manual channel signal location, but that did not work.  I tried 3 different rabbit ear-type antennas, and still no Channel 58.  The display on the TV says "No Signal" when I tune to 58 (actually 58-1).  What is the problem, and what are suggestions for correcting the problem?  Someone has suggested a new antenna, but that is not the probelm, since I get all the other channels just fine with each of the 3 antennas I tried.  Thank you.

The antenna suggestion was a good one!  You aren't receiving enough signal from the Ch. 58 digital transmitter to permit it to lock onto the channel.  It's as simple as that.

You didn't tell us where you are located, so it is difficult for anyone to offer any better advice.

Please understand that digital signals are about 20% of the signal levels of the traditional television transmitters.  You need a better antenna for dependable reception, even on the other channels that you say you receive.  All stations aren't equal, and signals from each will vary based on your location, how many trees are in the way, and weather variations.  A well located antenna will minimize your problems.  I do wish you well!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

troyriley

I'm not familiar with the menus on the Insignia converter, but did you try tuning to channel 46 (the "real" channel 58's digital signal is broadcast on)? I'm not sure if that's how you manually add channels on the Insignia, but it may have something to do with that.

djberry

Thank you for the comment about the antenna.  I am located in New Berlin, just east of Moorland Road and just north of I-43.  The antennas (three different ones) that I have tried are all of the "rabbit ear" variety.  I am very hesitant to go out and buy anything more than another "rabbit ear" type of antenna.  I'd rather run a cable line and hook up the TV to cable.  Any suggestions on an antenna, including where to buy an inexpensive one....Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.?

I find it hard to believe that the Channel 58 signal is so weak that I cannot pick it up, especially since I can get it just fine without the converter and with the rabbit ears antenna.

troyriley

You could try the $30 Radio Shack u75R, if you want to try an inexpensive outdoor antenna. It's a UHF-only antenna, but also does a good job for the high VHF channels. The only digital VHF channel is 10 (broadcast on channel 8). I have an amplifier also, but you probably wouldn't need one from New Berlin.

I've found rabbit ear type antennas to be unreliable for digital reception. I do have an amplified Philips rabbit ear antenna that I have tried, but that requires a lot of work to get any type of digital signal from my neck of the woods.

AA9VI

Try purchasing an amplifier.  Make sure it covers VHF and UHF and find the LOWEST noise figure as possible (4 or 5 dB is decent.... stay away from the 8 or 9 dB noise figure... this is different than gain... The gain should be in the neighborhood of 15 dB).  Also, rabbit ears are traditionally a UHF circular loop like antenna and the telescoping parts.  The telescoping parts are mostly for VHF and FM radio.  The loop is for UHF. 58-1 (RF channel 46) will use the loop.  Try reorienting the loop too.

Also, UHF signals, because of their frequency, are more like of sight than VHF.  So, this means get your ideal antenna high up as possible, and preferably outdoors if you can.

DWS

Are all Analog-Digital Conversion Boxes equal as far as picking up weak antenna signals or are some better?

troyriley

Quote from: DWS;46908Are all Analog-Digital Conversion Boxes equal as far as picking up weak antenna signals or are some better?

Just like with TV's, some converters are better at locking in marginal signals than others. The most important thing for reception is the antenna setup, including the quality of cable, amplification, length of cable run, etc. The quality of the tuner in the converter is next.

AA9VI

Quote from: troyriley;46916Just like with TV's, some converters are better at locking in marginal signals than others. The most important thing for reception is the antenna setup, including the quality of cable, amplification, length of cable run, etc. The quality of the tuner in the converter is next.

Most OTA tuners these days are 6th generation (I think... google that and verify).  Those are much better than the earlier tuners.  So, make sure it's the latest generation tuner.  It will allow you to get a watchable picture on signals with lower signal to noise ratios then the earlier tuners.

RonH

I second the U75R radio shack antenna.  I picked on up and the employee told me it wasn't big enough to work from the attic.  I put it in the attic, and aimed it through the side of the attic (no roofing tiles in this area), and I get 100% signal on all digital channels, including 10.1-8, which are actually VHF.

I'm 15 miles out.

AA9VI

Quote from: RonH;46934I second the U75R radio shack antenna.  I picked on up and the employee told me it wasn't big enough to work from the attic.  I put it in the attic, and aimed it through the side of the attic (no roofing tiles in this area), and I get 100% signal on all digital channels, including 10.1-8, which are actually VHF.

I'm 15 miles out.

Radio Shack... you've got questions, we've got blank stares.

Either that or they talk out of their behinds.... WAY too often.

cjucoder

Quote from: AA9VI;46945Radio Shack... you've got questions, we've got blank stares.

Either that or they talk out of their behinds.... WAY too often.
Only three years ago a Radio Shack employee told my mom that you can't get high def over the air, you need cable or satellite.  She went to that store to look for an antenna after she had bought a high def TV after seeing mine (using only OTA).  She was confused and worried, and I was so angry I couldn't see straight.  I hooked her up with a little Silver Sensor like mine (had to throw that in so I'm not too OT :)  , and I have not walked into one of those stores since.

PatM

Quote from: djberry;46708The other day I bought an Insignia converter box from Best Buy.  I have an older TV with rabbit ears, that has worked fine for all the local TV channels.  I hooked up the converter box, and everything worked fine, except I cannot get CBS Channel 58.  I can get the other channels just fine.  I tried several things, including manual channel signal location, but that did not work.  I tried 3 different rabbit ear-type antennas, and still no Channel 58.  The display on the TV says "No Signal" when I tune to 58 (actually 58-1).  What is the problem, and what are suggestions for correcting the problem?  Someone has suggested a new antenna, but that is not the probelm, since I get all the other channels just fine with each of the 3 antennas I tried.  Thank you.
Be aware that the new digital signals are in the UHF range.
Using rabbit ear-type antenna for digital signals is not the best idea.
I have 2 insignia boxes and receive all the digital stations.
I do have a roof mounted antenna which works a lot better than the indoor antenna I tried at first.
Location is in Western Wauwatosa.

AA9VI

Quote from: PatM;47024Be aware that the new digital signals are in the UHF range.
Using rabbit ear-type antenna for digital signals is not the best idea.
I have 2 insignia boxes and receive all the digital stations.
I do have a roof mounted antenna which works a lot better than the indoor antenna I tried at first.
Location is in Western Wauwatosa.

MOST high def. OTA signals are UHF, not ALL.  In Milwaukee, channel 10's digital signal is on VHF channel 8.
For those that can get the Chicago stations, in Feb. WLS will be on VHF channel 7 and WBBM will be on VHF channel 12 for their digital signals. (WISN is on channel 34.)

DWS

Would Rg11 provide a better quality signal than Rg6 when the signal comes from an antenna and travels over a 100' to a three way spliter.