News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TMJ4 DT is all messed up

Started by Irish, Wednesday May 07, 2008, 09:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish

Okay, I sit down to watch "Law and Order" at 9PM on Wednesday night, and what do I get? A repeat of the second hour of "Deal or no Deal." Now, DOND is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. But really, do I need to see it again? No, I want to watch "L&O," which is showing on the analog channel as normal. What gives?

Oh, and the NBC digital feed occasionally sounds tinny and chirpy. I notice it more in the morning, when "Today" is on.

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: Irish;46289Okay, I sit down to watch "Law and Order" at 9PM on Wednesday night, and what do I get? A repeat of the second hour of "Deal or no Deal." Now, DOND is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. But really, do I need to see it again? No, I want to watch "L&O," which is showing on the analog channel as normal. What gives?

Oh, and the NBC digital feed occasionally sounds tinny and chirpy. I notice it more in the morning, when "Today" is on.

Yes -- with DirecTV's menus, Wednesday evening's analog programs -- old Ch 4 -- were on time, but digital 4-1 was off by at least 15 or so minutes.  

Also, using my OTA antenna in River Hills, 4-1 pixelates like crazy, especially in HD.  All the other channels coming from the Estabrook area, such as 6-1, work well.  It's as if 4-1 is on low power, or something.  It's not trees, not leaves, not aiming, but 4-1 is bad, lately.

Any advice?

Stan

Tom Snyder

About 10 minutes of the Channel 4 news at Ten last night was a MESS... the digital picture was totally scrambled... b

Between that, disappearing signals on 58, hiccups on 12 and funky sound issues on 6, they'd better take a look at the calendar... only 9 months to go to get ready for prime time. ;)
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

techboy

There seems to be a lot of atmospheric ducting going on the past few days.  This is causing interference between analog and digital channels on the same frequency.  Next year, when the analogs go away, digital reception should improve.  After the switchover, only low power stations will still be allowed analog transmissions.  There is a surprising amount of low power stations that will still be on the air analog.  Every little town upstate seems to have one.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

basshive

Ok so I might be the only one who was watching (go ahead and laugh!) but WTMJ-4's showing of American Gladiators was hosed beyond belief last night. Had massive pixelation and blocking several times for minutes at a time. Was I alone or did everyone experience this?
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

brewtownska

I wasn't watching Gladiators, but I did watch Leno and Conan later on and experienced the same problems you decribe.  I get my HD from TWC QAM, but I think TWC gets their HD from OTA, so the atmospheric ducting still seems like a good explanation.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Tom Snyder

I get mine via D* and I'm getting that too.
Tom Snyder

techboy

TWC gets their HD signal of WTMJ DT via a fiber cable, not off the air.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

picopir8

Uverse Channel 1004 (TMJ HD) was all pixelated for me during the 10:00 news last night.  So it sounds like the problems were across the board regardless of how people get the signal (D*, TWC, Uverse, OTA).

gparris

The "Tonight Show" after 10:30pm Friday night still offered many pixelations, audio cut-outs and so on:
So it's either a network or local station problem, but it still exists...what the heck is happening?:huh?:

Dan the Man

This is an ongoing problem. The Office on Thursday night had some limited problems. Then this morning while watching the Sat. morning news it was so bad I had to switch to WTMJ analog.

Come on channel 4 - get this problem fixed. This is going on what - 2 weeks now? This is not acceptable.

LoadStar

I don't normally watch NBC, but there were breakups during the horse race today, about every 15 minutes or so. 504 seemed to be the only channel similarly affected.

Tom Snyder

Saturday Night Live had a severe picture problem an hour and 18 minutes in last night... I DVR'ed it on two different machines and got the identical issues on both at the same exact time...
Tom Snyder

cdnelson

Quote from: basshive;46337Ok so I might be the only one who was watching (go ahead and laugh!) but WTMJ-4's showing of American Gladiators was hosed beyond belief last night. Had massive pixelation and blocking several times for minutes at a time. Was I alone or did everyone experience this?

The replay of this on Friday night also had terrible problems, at one point it got so bad that they dropped to the SD signal for about 5 minutes.  Try explaining signal dropout to a very frustrated 6-year old who's missing his favorite show!

basshive

Yep. The frustration for me is all of these issues seemed to have cropped up since I switched to D*. Ofcourse I know it is not D*'s issue once I see everyone here reports same issues on twc, uv, etc. My wife however is not real pleased and I think she is blaming D* for all of these breakups etc. Thankfully WISN does not seem to be having issues so a lot of her shows are unaffected. Anyone from TMJ or in the know who can explain what is going on?
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV