• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sales of Blu-ray Players down.

Started by Bebop, Friday May 02, 2008, 12:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

Yeah the prices are high, but I guess everything starts off that way, but you would think Sony and others would take note of what's going on in the music industry, and seeing how they are suffering with low sales, and one of the contributing factors is cost of music. I never understand why things are so overpriced, look at gaming, a game for my Xbox 360 is $60! You would make many more sales if the price was more like $45 or so. That same theory, you would think, would apply to Blu-Ray sales.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

SRW1000

Quote from: RLJSlick;46237Yeah the prices are high, but I guess everything starts off that way, but you would think Sony and others would take note of what's going on in the music industry, and seeing how they are suffering with low sales, and one of the contributing factors is cost of music. I never understand why things are so overpriced, look at gaming, a game for my Xbox 360 is $60! You would make many more sales if the price was more like $45 or so. That same theory, you would think, would apply to Blu-Ray sales.
Blu-ray production costs are substantially higher than DVD - longer cycle times, lower yields, all-new equipment, etc.

The only way for prices to be comparable to what we're used to today are subsidies and/or greatly-reduced margins.

For the early-adopters, high disc and player prices haven't been a major concern.

As for video games, their prices are related to development costs and higher profits.  I never thought $60 games would fly, but it doesn't seem to bother those who are buying them.

Scott

RLJSlick

Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

SRW1000

Here's a short but interesting interview that the Wall Street Journal did with Howard Stringer about Blu-ray's win.

Among the relevant points to what we've been discussing:
  • Going with the more expensive option was better for the consumer
  • To the victor should go the spoils
Couple that with today's $700 player announcement from Panasonic, and you have to wonder what's going to happen with Blu-ray.

Scott

Bebop

Quote from: SRW1000;46245As for video games, their prices are related to development costs and higher profits.  I never thought $60 games would fly, but it doesn't seem to bother those who are buying them.

Scott

What ever the development cost is? It can't be more than a blockbuster movie.

Entertainment time wise, games do have a better value. But, I still have not paid a $60 game yet.

The latest Grand Thief Auto just sold $500M worth of games in the first week. Not many movie can do that. :)  

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080507/ap_en_ot/take_two_grand_theft_auto_iv

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

SRW1000

Quote from: Bebop;46284What ever the development cost is? It can't be more than a blockbuster movie.
I wasn't comparing the development cost of a game (in the tens of millions) to a movie (hundreds of millions), but just to the transfer of a movie onto disc (authoring, menu system, etc.).

Yes, if you include the cost of the film, there's no comparison, but movies have a chance to recoup their development costs in the theater, which doesn't apply to video games.

Scott

bubbaridesfast

One reason BD player sales might be slow, a friend I work with went to look at them at Flanners a few weeks ago and was shocked that Flanners is completely out of Sony models. Apparently, they only will sell Sony and they told him it will be out of stock until August. Must be when the next generation is being released.

I find it hard to believe Sony could be OOS for 3-4 months, but that's what they told him.

RLJSlick

Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

gparris

When I get a chance to assist on a HT setup install or consult for my family's business, the Blu-ray player is always mentioned, if not asked about already.
With families who have children and do gaming, the PS3 is a must when they buy the HDTV and I get little resistance on this as it serves a dual purpose.:rock:

Actually, the PS3, when equipped with the IR receiving device you can buy so your universal remote works with it, is a nice touch to any HT setup and because it "morphs" into anything new about Blu-ray like Profile 2.0 and DTS-HD MA more recently, a great BD machine for the price, IMO.:D

On more upscale installations with dedicated HT rooms, lighting systems and the like, the new Denon BD players with the better upscaling chip for DVDs are a great addition to their setups, too, now that these are finally available from Denon, too.