• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Top 5 Wish List For Navigator Features

Started by Jack 1000, Friday Apr 18, 2008, 09:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

All of you are wonderful in providing support. But as Navigator continues to be rolled out, and the reviews vary so much from all over the country, I thought that it would be good to come up with five things, (and only five things) that you would list as a top priority for TWC to fix with Navigator. It would be interesting to see if us Navigator subs could reach a consensus as to what needs the most work. If you have more than five things, you start splitting hairs and getting into issues that are more of personal preference than actual bugs or annoyances that need to be worked out.

For best results, we should keep this thread to a top 5 wishlist.  Problems or issues with Navigator, I believe we should put in the other Navigator threads.

Although it's early, things have gone well for me in Milwaukee with Navigator. (See my previous posts lists above.) But here are some issues that need to be addressed:

1.) The return of "View This Channel Now" when selecting future programs in the IPG's grid: (For a work around Tip, if your remote has a Day-/Day+ button, to "View this channel now. exit or (c) Cancel out of the choices screen for Recording a future show. Than press the "Day-" button.) The guide will go back to the earliest time frame available. The cell indicator will stay on earliest show in the grid. Than Press Select.

If your remote doesn't have a Day+/- button, after pressing Exit or (C) to get out of the program recording options screen, Press the Guide Button twice. than Select.
This will also take you back to the earliest time available for the channel.

2.) The return of the ability to do Word Searches (not just title searches) which would bring up matching programs on the keyboard: Consequently, when doing a Browse by Title, Category, or Rating, users should be able to bring up the keyboard (B) button and have the information narrowed down in the listings based on Search results. Currently, the keyboard forces you to "start all over again" even after narrowing a "Find Shows" Search.

3.) A bug is sometimes multiple listings of a program, are given on a channel number that doesn't exist: I have observed this for program searches for both TV Land and TCM. In addition to TV Land (Channel 61) a duplicate listing showed up under the prompt, "There are multiple listings of this title" that also showed TV Land on what was listed in the 600 range! What's funny, is that TWC doesn't offer a secondary feed for TV Land. TCM in addition to the proper listings (Channel 60) showed a channel 1879 or something in that range. Going to the TCM channel in the 1000's said, "This channel is not available at this time." Conventional TCM on Channel 60 came in fine. When I went to the higher channel for TV Land, the guide showed a channel in the 600 range. (I think it was 637 or 687.) But the IPG Guide said Channel 800. On Demand Previews. This could be a bug, or perhaps they are testing a different digital channel for TV Land and TCM.

Tip: If you encounter the above for the purposes of recording, just select the known channel number on the system to record and ignore the duplicate.

4.) A warning stating, "Are you sure you want to delete this recording?" after watching a recording: Right now, you only get a confirmation if you stop a recording in progress.

5.)The option to change the current recording default from "Do Not Delete" to "Save Until Space is Needed:" The ability to keep it as the default until changed back by the user for EVERY show. Don't just allow this on an individual program basis. Users should be able to have something like Recording Options on the DVR List screen, that when changed, will effect all recordings until changed again.

There are my top 5.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

LoadStar

Mine:

1) When it is 5 minutes or less from the bottom or top of the hour, the guide should jump ahead to display the bottom or top of the hour timeslot. (This would almost make up for no "view this channel now.")

2) "View This Channel Now." (Hey. I said almost. :))

3) The timeline bar should display a time indicator for where within a buffer or recording you currently are.

4) The option to define "do not delete"/"save until space is needed" for a series recording, not just individual recordings.

5) Navigator should save and continue to fill the buffer for a period of time after the DVR is turned off. (i.e. if you accidentally turn off the DVR, it shouldn't immediately dump everything in the buffer. )

ckkopenski

1. View this Channel now from guide

2. Ability to jump ahead during Fast-Forward in 15 min increments

3. Improve (no place but up to go) the NEW vs. REPEAT functionality

4. Ability to only record a showing of a show on a certain channel or time slot

5. Reserving #5 for such a time as my memory remembers #5

LoadStar

Quote from: ckkopenski;459462. Ability to jump ahead during Fast-Forward in 15 min increments

It's still there (at least in the MDN version), but it's much harder to use. Press and hold the FF button 5 seconds, and it'll jump ahead 15 minutes.

ckkopenski

You're right. It does work. I've never seen that in any documentation, so thanks much. Now, I only have 3 out of 5 in my top 5!

Jack 1000

One thing that I would also like to add,

(And everyone please notify the TWC offices about this) The Sports list is much more truncated than it should be. I noticed that there is no Tennis category under sports. Not sure if this is because there were no matches on at the time, but this needs to be added immediately. Tennis is a very popular sport for many users and needs a category in the sports list.

Jack

Gregg Lengling

I want the old resolution mode feature, where you select 16-9 and an option for the 4/3 channels to stretch or zoom.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

leprechaunshawn

I for one would like to see more tuners on the DVR.  I know this is probably not a Navigator software issue as much as a hardware issue.  U-verse allows you to record 4 shows at once, although only one of them can be in HD.  Allowing me to record 3 shows, regardless of SD or HD would be nice.  Of course thats just a subscriber request and we all know what TWC does with those.

Jack 1000

Not exactly a top 5 wish, but something I observed:

What I think looks nice are the fonts for the On Demand Channels. They look more Y2K8 than the IPG fonts. I would like to see a future IPG skin update, look more like those.

Jack

aaron

Get rid of the "jump ahead" after you rewind. I understand why they did it, and it's a good feature to have when fast-forwarding, but it's totally unnecessary for rewinding and unbelievably annoying.

Jack 1000

Quote from: aaron;46113Get rid of the "jump ahead" after you rewind. I understand why they did it, and it's a good feature to have when fast-forwarding, but it's totally unnecessary for rewinding and unbelievably annoying.

Jump ahead and Fast Forward SUCKS for On Demand btw.  Some times you'll hit RR or FF and the movie just zooms about 3-5 minutes ahead before you know what is happening.  Than when you hit Instant Replay, it's strange.  It goes back a little bit, but if you hit it again, it jumps further than you want it to go.  Now for normal channels, the accuracy is a lot better than for On Demand.  Even on Passport, On Demand RR and FF were not as accurate as they should be, but On Demand functionality on Navigator is a real guessing game.

Jack

gparris

Exactly, when I do a FF, I get shot over the show, but then it back tracks to the commercial ...ugh.
You have to develop a technique over time and then it works, but you have to be quick.

As for graphics, these are getting better to me and these seem to be better, overall with Navigator, especially with the On-Demand channels.
The Caller ID icons are nicer and it works, well, too.:D

The only thing that really irks me about Navigator is that one HD DVR will remember the series in the manager while the other HD DVR forgets what I had in there from the pre-Navigator days.
I kept a list of the shows to load them in and I still get some errors, you have to be watchful of what it wants to record as the writer's strike with Navigator (as in missing shows) makes it hard to it to detect or remember what you used to watch.:(

cdnelson

Things seem to be getting somewhat better for us, but I still have two gripes:

1.  Fix the problem where going into the Guide or List leaves the picture up in the corner when you exit.  Currently you can turn on/turn off the PIP as a quick fix, but to "permanently" fix this you have to go into the display settings and futz with the resolutions.

2.  If you record a show with "options", such as starting the show earlier or later, you can set up a conflict that Navigator won't report  (until you notice that the show hasn't recorded, and the log has the "unresolved conflict" message. :mad: )  If you have a conflict, regardless of whether it's "created" by you, or already part of the schedule Navigator should immediately notify you so you can fix it.

Jack 1000

Another update,

Everyone should contact TWC-Wisconsin, regarding this issue:

We need more Sports in the Sports Catagory List!!! Many basic sports are not listed (i.e Tennis) For Tennis, you have to go under Sports Misc to find it and than Page+/- for such an important sport that many people like. I could understand something like Water Pollo under Sports Misc. but not Tennis.

Jack