• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Curprisin Working for FOX Now?

Started by mhz40, Thursday Apr 17, 2008, 06:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhz40

Holy cow... I read Tim's columns regularly.  They're usually interesting, including "the buzz" in local TV & radio.  But man oh manischewitz (quoting Art Kumbalek there)... seems you can always count on his Thursday column to revolve around 'Idol' at some level.  Every week it's a synopsis of the elimination show.  Why all the attention?  If one is interested in the show, doesn't one watch it live or DVR it?  I'm not picking on Tim... it seems Idol is everywhere.  He's the one example here.  It's everywhere.  On the radio, in the paper...  Is payola back in vogue again or what?
 :confused:
If interest in the next Idol is so hot, why do the winners drop off the news cycle as soon as they are announced?
Seriously, if interest in reality shows is so high, why don't we see a synopsis of Big Brother, Hells Kitchen. Survivor and others?

{fart}

RLJSlick

OMG where is my barf bag! What the hell is up with Curprisin? Shows like Idol have ruin TV for me!  20 years ago a TV show like that would have never made it in prime time.

Quote from: mhz40;45920Holy cow... I read Tim's columns regularly.  They're usually interesting, including "the buzz" in local TV & radio.  But man oh manischewitz (quoting Art Kumbalek there)... seems you can always count on his Thursday column to revolve around 'Idol' at some level.  Every week it's a synopsis of the elimination show.  Why all the attention?  If one is interested in the show, doesn't one watch it live or DVR it?  I'm not picking on Tim... it seems Idol is everywhere.  He's the one example here.  It's everywhere.  On the radio, in the paper...  Is payola back in vogue again or what?
 :confused:
If interest in the next Idol is so hot, why do the winners drop off the news cycle as soon as they are announced?
Seriously, if interest in reality shows is so high, why don't we see a synopsis of Big Brother, Hells Kitchen. Survivor and others?

{fart}
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

LoadStar

Quote from: RLJSlick;45936OMG where is my barf bag! What the hell is up with Curprisin? Shows like Idol have ruin TV for me!  20 years ago a TV show like that would have never made it in prime time.

Nonsense. 10 years ago, you had "America's Funniest Home Videos" and "America's Funniest People." 20 years ago, you had shows like "Star Search" doing quite well in prime time, albeit in syndication. And before that, say 30+ years ago, you had the "variety" show. "American Idol" is by no means the first, nor the last, to fill this particular niche in the television schedule.

Additionally, the statement that American Idol is "ruining television" is ludicrous. A couple of kids getting up and singing is ruining television? I can't even say that low-brow pathetic screams for attention, like FOX's "The Moment of Truth" are ruining television. I'd actually say that we're getting more and better television now than ever before in the history of television, just because broadcast has to try that much harder to compete against cable networks like FX and TNT, and against premium services like HBO and Showtime.

If you don't like it, there are hundreds of other channels on. I can bet your remote ain't broken - change the channel instead of kvetching that a dozen or so kids getting up and singing is "ruining television."

You may not enjoy AI - but clearly a LOT of other people do. Even this season with ratings down across the board, AI remains the #1 show on television, by a considerable distance most weeks. And it has been that way since the show premiered, something you can't say about too many other shows. It also produces stars almost every season - maybe the winner doesn't make it big, but SOMEONE probably does. Without AI, you would never have heard of Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and other multi-platinum and Grammy (TM) award winning artists.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why Tim Cuprisin reports on it on a weekly basis.

techguy1975

Quote from: LoadStar;45937And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why Tim Cuprisin reports on it on a weekly basis.

That....and the fact that it consistently is the highest rated show on TV that night.

Bebop

How can anyone forget the "Gong Show"

It has the same format as Idol.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LoadStar

Quote from: Bebop;45947How can anyone forget the "Gong Show"

It has the same format as Idol.

Well, not really. Both shows have a performer and 3 panelists/judges, but on Idol, once you're past the tryouts, the judges don't have any decision making role, unlike the panelists on The Gong Show. Additionally, the emphasis (past the tryouts) is on finding good talent, not ridiculing bad talent. ("America's Got Talent," on the other hand, is a straight remake of The Gong Show.)

But you're right, The Gong Show does fall into the same programming niche.

Bebop

Not much inovation now days, they just recycle old ideas and put a new spin on them.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

RLJSlick

Well that's your opinion not mine.
Oh man the Gong Show, now that was one bad show, but that was more then 10 years ago. LOL

Quote from: LoadStar;45937Nonsense. 10 years ago, you had "America's Funniest Home Videos" and "America's Funniest People." 20 years ago, you had shows like "Star Search" doing quite well in prime time, albeit in syndication. And before that, say 30+ years ago, you had the "variety" show. "American Idol" is by no means the first, nor the last, to fill this particular niche in the television schedule.

Additionally, the statement that American Idol is "ruining television" is ludicrous. A couple of kids getting up and singing is ruining television? I can't even say that low-brow pathetic screams for attention, like FOX's "The Moment of Truth" are ruining television. I'd actually say that we're getting more and better television now than ever before in the history of television, just because broadcast has to try that much harder to compete against cable networks like FX and TNT, and against premium services like HBO and Showtime.

If you don't like it, there are hundreds of other channels on. I can bet your remote ain't broken - change the channel instead of kvetching that a dozen or so kids getting up and singing is "ruining television."

You may not enjoy AI - but clearly a LOT of other people do. Even this season with ratings down across the board, AI remains the #1 show on television, by a considerable distance most weeks. And it has been that way since the show premiered, something you can't say about too many other shows. It also produces stars almost every season - maybe the winner doesn't make it big, but SOMEONE probably does. Without AI, you would never have heard of Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and other multi-platinum and Grammy (TM) award winning artists.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why Tim Cuprisin reports on it on a weekly basis.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

tencom

The GONG  SHOW had three short runs on television. Twice  on daytime network TV, and once as a  syndicated night time show. All died because of low ratings.
Count me as one  who never viewed AMERICAN IDOL, for more then a total of a few minutes. I believe it is a dreadfull show snd proves  that television program quality, is on a downward spiral. As a Milwaukee TV executive once related to me, "WE WOULD RATHER APPEAL TO THE EMOTIONS THEN TO THE INTELLECT". The main failure of escpecially OTA TV, that it does not try to challenge the viewer in any capacity which results in mediocrity.  275 million U.S, citizens, who don't choose to watch AMERICAN IDOL, on any given week, can't be wrong, it is a dreadful show!