• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC raises prices for DVR

Started by markd, Thursday Jan 17, 2008, 07:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markd

I just got a bill today and it looks to me like they've raised the price of DVR service and the cable box.  It's been a while since I looked closely at my bill and I don't save them but what caught my eye today was the fact that my automated monthly payment is now a little short.  The DVR service was listed at $8.50 (I thought it used to be something like $6.50) and the 8300 DVR box is now $7.21 (I thought that was $6.95).  At least they didn't raise the price of the remote :rolleyes:

I have two boxes so am not only being charged for the boxes but being charged twice for my DVR service (as I know many of you are too).

I've about had enough of this.  I have stuck it out with TWC because I don't want a stinking dish on my house but I'm getting pretty close to my breaking point as this is getting ridiculous.  They're losing customers left and right so they actually raise the prices for the customers who have stuck with them through their crappy service!?  That just doesn't make any sense at all! :bang:

gparris

TWC: "Feel the Love".
Wait until Crapagator DVR service (Navigator) comes the area and messes up your DVR, so then you will get lousy DVR service AND and increase to go along with it.:p
I reported this some time ago as I mentioned the price increase for the DVR service went from $7.95 to $8.50/month for the 2008 price increases.
Digital Standard (formerly Digipic) increased $3/month, too.
It's one thing to increase your monthly billings and offer more content (HD channels) like Directv is going to do in March, but TWC Wisconsin has not added the HD channels like they did - nor - even the dozen or more HD channels TWC locations around the country currently get right now.
It's like taking things out of your shopping cart (HD channels) because you live in another (TWC) area (Wisconsin), but charging you approx. the same price at the register (billing statement).
-TWC Wisconsin thinks it can get away with this with us poor, "ignorant" HD subscribers, IMO.:eek:

markd

Well, I (fortunately) didn't see the Digipic rate increase because I'm a contracted business customer so my pricing there is fixed (though I'm not sure when a new contract will be negotiated/signed).  

For all the griping you do about TWC, why haven't you switched to something else?  I'd like to get a conversation like that started.  I would really like to switch but TWC service is just so easy and there's just something in me that doesn't want a stupid dish on my house.  I also have RR and phone service through TWC.  I looked at the Directv site last night and the price will actually come out to be a few bucks more when their initial discount stops.  I'd get a much better HD lineup though.

Those of you who have stuck it out with TWC, why haven't you left yet?

Tom Snyder

Lots of people live in apartments that don't allow dishes, or don't have a Southern exposure to put one out on their patio.  

Some people own their own homes but, because of trees, tall buildings next door or other natural obstructions can't do satellite.

And there are few guys married to wives that won't allow a dish on their house.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

markd

Quote from: Tom Snyder;43922Lots of people live in apartments that don't allow dishes, or don't have a Southern exposure to put one out on their patio.  

Some people own their own homes but, because of trees, tall buildings next door or other natural obstructions can't do satellite.

And there are few guys married to wives that won't allow a dish on their house.

Sure, I get what some of the reasons are.  I'm just curious what each person's reason/excuse is.  Personally, I think the dish is an eyesore and that's what been keeping me away.  My brother in Minneapolis just upgraded to an HD dish and he said the thing is huge.  The installer had to brace it up with a 4x4 :eek:

There has to be a better way.  I thought the dishes were getting smaller.  If Uverse improves (multiple HD feeds), I'd check that out.  People in my neighborhood (Bayview) are fighting against the AT&T boxes right now because of their size.  Our alderman says we're legally obligate to help look for spots but people aren't going to make it easy for AT&T.

Gregg Lengling

They are now charging me 7.65 for each of my HD boxes and 8.50 for DVR service.....this really sucks.....I'm just waiting for April when I change to Uverse when the Vrad for my neighborhood is ready...plus I'll be getting the employee discount so my bill will be almost 1/3 of what TWC  is charging me plus I won't have to share my internet bandwidth with the whole neighborhood in the evening hours when things get congested.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

gparris

Quote from: markd;43920Well, I (fortunately) didn't see the Digipic rate increase because I'm a contracted business customer so my pricing there is fixed (though I'm not sure when a new contract will be negotiated/signed).  

For all the griping you do about TWC, why haven't you switched to something else?  I'd like to get a conversation like that started.  I would really like to switch but TWC service is just so easy and there's just something in me that doesn't want a stupid dish on my house.  I also have RR and phone service through TWC.  I looked at the Directv site last night and the price will actually come out to be a few bucks more when their initial discount stops.  I'd get a much better HD lineup though.

Those of you who have stuck it out with TWC, why haven't you left yet?

I believe that you should get a fair price for what you get vs. the same amount of offerings available based on location and we don't here in Wisconsin.
It is unfair for TWC to charge as much as it does for cableTV service for the small amount of HD channels we get here from TWC Wisconsin vs. TWC in other locations for the same pricing levels.

So I am waiting for one of two things to happen right now:

#1 : TWC to add the dozen or so more HD channels that other locations have right now.
-Note I am not even asking for the whole 70+ HD channel selection DirectvHD offers, just what the other TWC locations are receiving, examples:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SanAntonio/Products/Cable/hdtv/channels.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/SouthCarolina/products/HDTVAvailableChannels.html
http://www.timewarnercable.com/albany/programming/hdtv/programming.ashx?menu=917
OR
#2: Directv to finally add CBS58HD to its listing with that D11 satellite going up.
 (if that is the concern outside of CBS58's dealings).

Looking over a spreadsheet I got, I noticed that I would save an estimated monthly amount to wipe out any upfront lease box money to get what I have with TWC for DirectvHD.
I would come up with an approx. savings getting DirectvHD only - at about $30-35/month (alone) over keeping TWC cableTV service.
-That includes the increased pricing I'd have to pay for increased Digital Phone (with not paying for any cableTV service) and that March Directv price increase.:eek:

When I get my tax refund and our household finds a (suitable & agreed upon) location to place the 5LNB dish in our yard, we will change to Directv, provided #2 occurs first.

Right now, I don't like paying more for less  than other TWC locations get for HD channel selection.
-So I will keep complaining about it because it's like being taken advantage of with no other alternatives, (for many subs), including no U-Verse availability.

According to avsforums, TWC's SDV (Switched Digital Video) is installed and deployed in Milwaukeeland, so that is no longer a concern for adding more HD channels.

To me, it's just a "TWC Wisconsin" attitude why they haven't signed or wanted to sign the contracts to get these additional HD channels, IMO
-yet they hit us with another price increase for 2008!

BTW, San Antonio, TX TWC is adding Animal PlanetHD and most of the other Starz HD channels to its lineup within a month:
This is in addition to its three dozen HD channels it already offers its HD subscribers.

markd

Well...when gparris jumps ship, so will I :rock:

gparris

FYI:
I had Directv from 1996 to mid-2003, until I had to move to an leased condo without access during the time my new house was being built.
-So I am very familiar with Directv.:D

The new house has the following Directv-friendly additions:
-Phone jacks where the HDTVs go for PPV and anything else.
-RG6 cabling to insure no signal loss with HD sources.
-Extra PVC tubing to add anything Directv has to offer, including ethernet connections.
-Double jacks for use with HD DVRs for the master bedroom and family room areas (until SWM arrives).

As TWC came out with (at the time) its own HD DVR at the time, I kept them as a provider as Directv did not offer an equally-viable solution - at the time.

So if #2 occurs first, goodbye TWC cableTV for good!:rock:

Bigdog

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;43927They are now charging me 7.65 for each of my HD boxes and 8.50 for DVR service.....this really sucks.....I'm just waiting for April when I change to Uverse when the Vrad for my neighborhood is ready...plus I'll be getting the employee discount so my bill will be almost 1/3 of what TWC  is charging me plus I won't have to share my internet bandwidth with the whole neighborhood in the evening hours when things get congested.

Gregg,

Do you know if they will  be coming to Grafton in April as well? DTV looks nice but would be pricey to duplicate all these TWC boxes and want a 2yr commitment.