• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Will we ever see an independent station again?

Started by PaulKTF, Sunday Dec 30, 2007, 01:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKTF

Subject says it all.

I miss when WCGV and WVTV were independent.

The only way I see this ever happening is if My Network TV fizzles out, or WVCY gets sold after Vic kicks the bucket.
-Paul

SRW1000

Quote from: PaulKTF;43462Subject says it all.

The only way I see this ever happening is if My Network TV fizzles out, or WVCY gets sold after Vic kicks the bucket.
Doesn't WMLW count?

PaulKTF

Quote from: SRW1000;43471Doesn't WMLW count?

WMLW is owned by Weigel who use it to (mostly) dump repeats of the same syndie stuff they air on WDJT. I mean a true independent.

But yes, WMLW is the closest thing we have, I guess. sigh.
-Paul

John L

Quote from: PaulKTF;43462Subject says it all.

Its possible for them to bring back the classic WVTV-18 or the classic WCGV-24 without having to give up the networks of The CW, and My Network TV. Its only if it can be marketed. If their is a market for it they could air them as 18-2 and 24-2 in SD only while the main channel has the current network offerings in HD.

-John L.

PaulKTF

Quote from: John L;43566Its possible for them to bring back the classic WVTV-18 or the classic WCGV-24 without having to give up the networks of The CW, and My Network TV. Its only if it can be marketed. If their is a market for it they could air them as 18-2 and 24-2 in SD only while the main channel has the current network offerings in HD.

-John L.

I don't watch either the CW or MyNetworkTV.. and I didn't watch UPn/WB either... but apparently somebody is...
-Paul

LoadStar

Is there really any significant difference between a 24 with MyNet and 24 without? I mean, most of 24's current schedule is syndicated programming. MyNet clears 12 hours of programming, none of which is significantly different than anything that could be obtained through syndication.

If Sinclair were to drop MyNet and go independent, the shows during primetime might change, and the branding might change, but I don't think anyone would notice anything different.

PaulKTF

Quote from: LoadStar;43574Is there really any significant difference between a 24 with MyNet and 24 without? I mean, most of 24's current schedule is syndicated programming. MyNet clears 12 hours of programming, none of which is significantly different than anything that could be obtained through syndication.

If Sinclair were to drop MyNet and go independent, the shows during primetime might change, and the branding might change, but I don't think anyone would notice anything different.

You're right... but I'd rather have syndicated stuff than anything MyNet shows. I just don't understand who's watching MyNet...
-Paul

jjallou

Quote from: PaulKTF;43576You're right... but I'd rather have syndicated stuff than anything MyNet shows. I just don't understand who's watching MyNet...

Somebody must be watching. They're running an ad that says My24 is the #1 MyNetwork station in the nation. I'm not sure what's with the independent fetish. I would rather see another outlet for fresh new tv instead of syndicated reruns.

PaulKTF

Quote from: jjallou;43582Somebody must be watching. They're running an ad that says My24 is the #1 MyNetwork station in the nation. I'm not sure what's with the independent fetish. I would rather see another outlet for fresh new tv instead of syndicated reruns.

Fresh? New? On MyNet? Isn't that the one that runs all the reality stuff?
-Paul

jjallou

Quote from: PaulKTF;43583Fresh? New? On MyNet? Isn't that the one that runs all the reality stuff?

I steer clear of reality shows but on occasion MyNet will actually put on some things I like to watch. Movies like White Christmas, Big, and specials like Control Room Presents in HD. If 24 didn't fill that slot of time with MyNet they would probably run some old junk that's been hashed to death. UPN wasn't much better but they had stuff I liked to watch too. Time will tell if this MyNet thing pans out.

BTW MyNets Reality stuff is new/fresh.

PaulKTF

Quote from: jjallou;43584I steer clear of reality shows but on occasion MyNet will actually put on some things I like to watch. Movies like White Christmas, Big, and specials like Control Room Presents in HD. If 24 didn't fill that slot of time with MyNet they would probably run some old junk that's been hashed to death. UPN wasn't much better but they had stuff I liked to watch too. Time will tell if this MyNet thing pans out.

BTW MyNets Reality stuff is new/fresh.

They're only about 6 years late on the reality TV bandwagon- way to go, Fox! I'd rather not watch my movies panned/scanned, edited for time/content, with commercial breaks, etc. I don't know how people can tolerate that.
-Paul

John L

I have some old collection of TV Guides that I personally own. One back in 1957 when WITI-TV, ch. 6 was a independent which had sign on time 3:00pm. WXIX-TV one issue had them on 19, another on 18. They signed on at 7 or 8 in the morning because they were a CBS affiliate and stayed on the air until 12 mid weekdays, 2:00 am weekends.

I also have late 60s and early 70s TV Guides with WVTV's syndicated programming.  Now with today's TV tecnology they could air 2 different types of WVTVs...one the CW channel and the other the classic WVTV back when it was in the 70s including the locally produced "Bowling Game" and "Romper Room" TV shows.  I would like to see the CW version of WVTV in HD on 18-1 and the old WVTV Classic on 18-2.  This is something I would love to see. I don't care if 18-2 is strictly SD since most old TV shows are in SD anyways.  But I know it won't happen.

Fr8train

Quote from: PaulKTF;43585They're only about 6 years late on the reality TV bandwagon- way to go, Fox! I'd rather not watch my movies panned/scanned, edited for time/content, with commercial breaks, etc. I don't know how people can tolerate that.

Reality TV is here to stay.  6 years later the top two shows on all of TV are reality shows.

Also, how is watching a movie that was hacked for TV plagued with commercials when you could be rather watching on DVD unedited any different than watching an old TV show that have been hacked for syndication with commercials that you could be watching on DVD unedited?

The simple truth is that old syndicated shows do not pull in the ratings.  The ad rates would be low.  The ones that get the ratings are already in the Milwaukee market in syndication (Family Guy, Seinfield, etc).  The ones that aren't are not for a reason.  I used to love Knight Rider and The A-Team as a kid but I watched them recently on DVD and they have not withstood the test of time.  Few have.