• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Good fish tape?

Started by JasonC, Thursday Dec 13, 2007, 05:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonC

I am in the process of installing an antenna in my attic. I ran some orange (low voltage) Carlon flexible conduit from my basement to attic... about 25 feet total. There are a few bends along the way, and have had a hell of a time pushing a cheap steel fish tape through. It is okay for a while, then just gets stuck.

So I went online and think I want to buy a 50-foot Ideal Zoom fish tape. The description says it is good for "your most difficult multi-bend applications". The problem is it costs about $68.

Anyone have any experience with fish tape technique? It seems like the Ideal Zoom tape would be a fool-proof option, I'm just not keen on buying what seems like a pricey toy...

Thanks,
Jason

flash

You have several options depending upon the drop.
Your best bet would be using THIS

It works awesome for getting a fish tape through carlon flexible tubing!

If the bends aren't too sharp, you could always tie something like a small chain to the end of a piece of pull string but this method only works if your drop is pretty much vertical.
The lubes on the market will make the difference so don't spend money on a more expensive fish tape.

JasonC

how do the lubes work? It seems like for 25 feet, eventually the front would not have too much on it...

flash

I work at a company that runs most of it's wiring through Carlon flexible tubing inside of mobile command centers (miles of wires inside of the vehicle). I had never had ever heard of the lube products but I digress..... I was working with one of the crews when I first started there and I have used fish tapes numerous times over the years.
I was struggling (as you are) trying to get an "Ideal" fish tape through the conduit and was ready to give up when somebody handed me a bottle of fish lube. He said " just squirt a bunch of this on the end"...... the fish tape went through the conduit like a hot knife through butter.
To say the least I was amazed!
It's not as thick as petroleum jelly but it is VERY slippery.
I probably used about a tablespoons worth to go 30 feet.
You won't need a lot so don't buy a huge amount, probably the smallest bottle you can find.

Will

There's a free option that you might try as well.  I've used this with success a couple times.  Take a cotton ball and tie some string / fishing line to it.  Stick the cotton ball in one end of the conduit run.  Go to the other end, stick a shop vac on the conduit, and suck the cotton ball through.  Works like a champ.

You could even use the fishing line to pull the fish tape through.

Hope that helps,
Will

Doug Mohr

I have three tapes that I use on a regular basis. A fiberglass unit for ease of use,  a thin metal tape for lots of tight bends, and a thick metal tape for hollow walls.

As for the lube, I don't know what the chemical makeup is, but it is awesome. Like others have said, you don't need much, and it seems to last quite a distance.

Doug

Doug Mohr

Quote from: Will;43080There's a free option that you might try as well.  I've used this with success a couple times.  Take a cotton ball and tie some string / fishing line to it.  Stick the cotton ball in one end of the conduit run.  Go to the other end, stick a shop vac on the conduit, and suck the cotton ball through.  Works like a champ.

You could even use the fishing line to pull the fish tape through.

Hope that helps,
Will

That is a really cool idea :rock: