• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Tim Cuprisin on the weather

Started by Dan the Man, Wednesday Dec 12, 2007, 12:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

SRW1000

That was pretty good, shot in widescreen mode even.

I especially liked the crawl at the bottom, but is should have been bigger to obscure more of the screen, with fancy spinning graphics and a local map.

But it was still on target.  Let's hope the local stations are watching and can take a hint.

Scott

techguy1975

Sadly...they won't...because as much as people complain, there still is a majority of people who want the wall to wall coverage.

flash

Stanley Kritzik

Before television, when I was growing up in Minneapolis, my mother bundled me up in the dead of winter, and I walked to school (kindergarten, etc.) in minus 20 weather -- with, or without snow.  No hysterics, no panic -- she just expected me to trudge a few blocks and get there, with my 4th grade brother.

It sure is different, today.  Not only is the weather dramatized as a disaster in progress, but a photo op. is also needed.

We really need the Walter Cronkite approach -- just sit at a desk and read the weather news.  Most of us know what snow, sleet, wind or rain look like.

Dream on, Stanley -- it's a different world.

Stan

Tom Snyder

Hate to sound like grandpa, but we used to wear our ability to be unphased by a 10 inch snowstorm (or like in the early 80's, a series of 10-12 inch snowstorms)  like a badge of honor.

Not sure if the media has caused this mess, or is just taking advantage of it, but we've just become a bunch of sissies. :OnAir:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

mhz40

Quote from: Tom Snyder;43055Hate to sound like grandpa, but we used to wear our ability to be unphased by a 10 inch snowstorm (or like in the early 80's, a series of 10-12 inch snowstorms)  like a badge of honor.

Not sure if the media has caused this mess, or is just taking advantage of it, but we've just become a bunch of sissies. :OnAir:

I agree.  How many in SE WI have actually lived through a blizzard dumping 10-14" of snow, or dealt with the great ice storm of March 1976 when everything was coated with an inch of ice in Washington county and power was out for thousands for over 9 days?
http://www.midmichiganweather.com/1976icestorm.html

PatM

Quote from: mhz40;43058I agree.  How many in SE WI have actually lived through a blizzard dumping 10-14" of snow, or dealt with the great ice storm of March 1976 when everything was coated with an inch of ice in Washington county and power was out for thousands for over 9 days?
Nothing like the blizzard of 1947 with 23".
Not even much on radio (before Tv) until we woke up in the morning.
Nothing like it since!
http://www.wisconsinstories.org/2001season/cold/gallery/photo1.html

brewtownska

Tim's video seemed right up our alley, but did you guys catch his column today?  In it he's explaining multicasting and how all the stations could use a 2nd digital channel for weather all the time.  We already know how that takes away bandwidth from the high-definition channel based on the locals that already do it.

When posed with that possibility, which would you prefer?  Having full bandwidth that drops down to SD once-in-a-while for bad weather, or a reduced bandwidth ALL THE TIME because of a 2nd channel that shows weather?  It's a tough call really.  I think I'd rather be bothered here and there with SD when the weather is bad than to know the HD broadcast will never look as good as it can due to a lower bandwidth.  Plus, we know that at some point in the future the stations will be able to overlay graphics for weather on the HD signal, so then we probably wouldn't complain as much about our HD signal being interrupted.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

flash

I remember a really bad blizzard in '69 where they had to bring in trucks and jeeps to get us kids home from school.

ahhh memories of when we had real snow storms.

mhz40

Quote from: brewtownska;43061When posed with that possibility, which would you prefer?  Having full bandwidth that drops down to SD once-in-a-while for bad weather, or a reduced bandwidth ALL THE TIME because of a 2nd channel that shows weather?  
Mike
I doubt broadcasters will have the ability to key local graphics over HD content anytime soon, so dropping out of HD will be commonplace for at least the foreseeable future.
I could be wrong, but I doubt a $50 tuner will include a built-in HD-SD trans-coder.  Therefore, once analog SD goes away, the stations may likely have to simulcast their content in SD full-time.  So even in the best scenario, we will likely live in a multi-cast world.

Doug Mohr

I can't beleive no mentioned the Blizzard of '82 yet.  It may not have been record-breaking, but as a 12 year old kid who got stuck with shoveling detail, it was pretty traumatic. :rof:

I think the writer's strike may be the best thing to happen to Milwaukee weather. Since there have been only a handful of new episodes this month, I haven't noticed any weather banners during my TV time. :D

I would think that the general public would have had enough of the "Flake by Flake" snow coverage this month had there been fresh programming.

Doug