• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time to switch?

Started by Chinatown, Tuesday Oct 02, 2007, 08:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewP

Quote from: flash;42833I'd switch but I can't beat the price the TW is offering.
I get High speed internet (5+megs/sec), unlimited phone service and an HD DVR for $125 (tax included).
Right now, for me at least, I don't see me jumping off of TWC for what I'm getting.
U verse won't be here in Muskego for a while and they are the only thing offering competitive pricing.
I've had Direct before and loved the quality but to get what I currently get...... way more $$$$$$.
If TWC tries to raise my pricing, I will call customer retension and tell them I'm leaving to stay at my current rate.
If anyone knows if I can get all that I am getting anywhere near what I'm paying, please enlighten me.
Thanks ahead of time.

Here what I will have on Dec. 12:
RR (7mg/sec) - $34.95
VOIP (telebland), unlimited - $15
D* Premium - $53, for at least 3 months, then if they keep their promise, it will stay $53 until Dec. 2008, and then it will be $73.
Tax additional.

Bebop

Quote from: flash;42841Hey Bebop, with your voip, were you able to keep your phone number or did you have get a new one?
I got a flyer about Direct in Sundays paper and they were showing a similar package but the DVR was SD not HD for $50 (after a monthly rebate) do you pay extra for the HD DVR?
Thanks ahead of time for answering the questions 'cause I'd like to be able to boot cable if possible.

They will port your number over.

I have been with DirecTV for years. My Mpeg-4 DVR was free

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Talos4

I'll second the porting of your existing number.  

When I switched about 3 years ago, it was not an issue.

RR Turbo 43.00
RR VOIP   15.00

D*           103.00 :eek:

Oh well, I don't patronize the local movie establishments any longer so that's how I justify the D* cost.  

That's my Story and I'm sticking to it! :D

I'm sure you could find a D* package that would fit your budget.

gparris

Talos4:
By "RR VOIP" you mean TWC's "Digital Phone" service?
IF so, that is a really low price, so it must be their "local-only" service, as mine includes interstate and Canada service, for $39.95/month.:blush:

FYI, I tried to compare my current TWC cableTV service-only with the HD DVRs and movie channels to DirectvHD and D*was about $200/year cheaper.
The only thing to hold us up here besides the $597 charge for "leased equipment" (per their website):
- is the balance of the local HD channels we watch a good deal of and record, too, something Directv cannot yet deliver.
Those HR21s are useless even if OTA worked well for my location (which is doesn't).
Then, of course, the "discount" I receive for RR and DPh goes up $10/month (total) without cableTV service from what I was able to decipher from the 2008 billing brochure.

Bebop

ViaTalk is running a special right now, $260 for 2 years =$11 a month.

One good thing about ViaTalk is that you get 2 out going lines.

http://www.viatalk.com/

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

Looks like a good deal, especially for two lines, thanks.

Only thing is that I wonder how reliable this service is and how long they've been around?

AndrewP

After SunRocket fiasco, I will never go for such long contracts. I was lucky I did not loose any money to SunRocket, because it failed during the last month of my contract. I am now with Teleblend, works fine, $14.71 with tax/month, unlimited calls.

Bebop

I was with Sunrocket when it went belly up, but I got my refund via my credit card company. I didn't lose any money.

I have been with Viatalk since SR folded. Their service is fine. I had three different voip (Packet8, Sunrocket, Viatalk) providers. They are all about the same, just the price difference.

I think we're digressing from the thread. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

So...IS it time to switch (to D*)?
Yes:
1) If you can get an H20 or HR20 to fill in the HD locals (given no reception issues) that D* does not yet offer in our local area.
2) HD locals do not interest you and SD locals (all of these are what you DO get) -are all you need.
3) If D*'s HD selection is what you've been "waiting for" and you have OTA already and you either record it by a computer (like or type) system or don't time-shift programming for it.
4) You just want to "get back" at TWC and U-Verse is not available in your area (yet) and HD channel selection is very important to you, no matter what.

No:
1) If you want a one-dish solution for all HD programming including all local HD/digital stations, something that D* does not yet offer.
2) If you want all your HD locals and D* programming on one guide and the H20 is not available (to do this) and you be ending up with a H21 model STB, instead.
3) If you want all your locals HD/digital recorded in one STB like the HR20 could do (if these were available), definitely not the situation with the HR21, which does not do these at all.
4) You have trees or houses (if you are on a hill) blocking the line-of-sight to the satellite or you live in an apartment or condo that does not offer access to the southern sky.