News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Component vs HDMI vs DVI vs IEEE1394 ...

Started by jkane, Friday Aug 31, 2007, 11:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkane

I am getting a Dish 722 in a couple weeks and am thinking about what cables I need.

Stupid question:  Would Component video be considered HD?

Dish vip722 has HDMI and Component video.  (Plus others.)

My TV has Component, DVI-D, and IEEE-1394 inputs.  (Plus others of course.)

I use a Denon Reciever as a switching device.  It does up and down converting internally.  I use the Component outputs only to the TV now.   It has 3 component inputs also.  One goes to the DVD player.  I would add the vip722 to this if it is HD.  It also converts other devices from video and s-video up to component.

So ... Would only using Component deliver what I am expecting, or is that less than HD capable?

If not, does the vip722 HDMI somehow work with DVI-D or IEEE-1394?  I am hoping they may be different year terminology.

klwillis45

You can run HD over component or DVI. You'd need a dvi to hdmi cable to use that. IEEE-1394 is a firewire connection used for hooking up cameras and other devices. It's not for HDTV.

gparris

While I am not completely familiar with your AVR and HDTV, I can offer what I think might be best in connections.
First of all, component video cabling is fine for the 1080i input into your HDTV set's back input (location assumed)
Just make sure the input indicates 1080i on the input (you'd be surprised what I see sometimes with clients).

I would use it as the only input and route the balance of your VCR, DVD playerand DishHD DVR using their component video outputs to the AVR for video and audio switching.
For example, the Denon AVR-3805 I have (similar to the one you have) is what I used for my older Mits CRT RPTV for all routing of component-video cabling.
I then only had to switch audio selection to get both my audio and video feeds from my selected AV components without switching HDTV inputs, too...your choice.

If you think upconversion is good with a DVD player you have, connect the DVI device from the DVD upconversion player to your HDTV's back DVI input as upconversion is done digitally-only-due to copy protections in place.
You will have to use a optical (toslink) or coaxial digital cable to your AVR for audio, too.

It is a preference if you think component video cabling is better-or worse-than any other option available to you at this time. You have no HDMI input on the back of your set as I understand it, anyway.
Component video is capable of 1080i and does it very well - that is the native resolution of your HDTV (as I understand it).

Firewire will send pictures and audio streams from your camcorder, for example, but it doesn't work well with copy protection schemes with some products.
So unless you want to archive your HD programming somehow from the 722 to a HDD and it allow it, that is all you will use the firewire for, IMO.

Once again, if I was you, I would connect everything to my AVR with component video cabling, use one cable to the HDTV's 1080i input and be done with it.
It worked very well for me and the spouse only had one thing to do:
Switch the audio signal source when playing other AV equipment, nothing else, as the video came along with it, but that was my situation.

Video was (and is) excellent in HD from component video...it's not a step-down.

Hope this helps you out!

jkane

Fantastic!  That's what I was hoping for.  The AVR985s does exactly that.  I have only component connected to the TV right now, and it upconverts the current dish receivers and the TiVo from s-video and composite to component out to the TV.   Only the Sony DVD player has a component output that does not require the upconvert.

I use a Harmony remote to set everything up and select the inputs on the Denon.  It's easy for anyone to watch anything.

If I can just add the Vip722 component to one of the extra inputs on the AVR985s , that's perfect as long as it handles 1080i.  It just says it upconverts, but doesn't say if there are limitations or exactly what it upconverts to.  I guess as long as it's component to component, it says it is direct, and doesn't do anything to the signal.  That should work!

I wasn't certain that Component was capable of 1080i.  I was afraid I had to use the DVI or HDMI ports for that.

If I find the TV saying it's not getting the resolution I hope for, I'll have to invest in a HDMI to DVI-D cable and see if that helps.  It would be hard wired without the AVR985s in between.  I guess the Harmony remote should be able to fix that though.  It have to tell it to set the TV to HD-1 input instead of the tuner anyhow.   It takes an extra second to change sources even when it doesn't have to, but makes sure the TV is prepared.   Just tell it to switch to the DVI-D input when selecting the Dish receiver and all should work.  The Vip722 pdf says it upconverts SD for use with the HDMI output.  So that should not be a probelm either.  This is plan "B".

For audio, that's simple.  I'll continue using the Optical Digital Audio cable and use the Denon Amp for audio in the room.  That part isn't changing.

Looks like good news.  There isn't anything new I have to get to make this work.  Murphy, where are you hiding?  :stpat

AndrewP

Tell you what I have with Dish HD DVR 622.
Component looks brighter, HDMI looks sharper. Both will work fine, and I actually use both outputs. Component goes to TV in the living room and HDMI (HDMI to DVI) goes to the projector in the basement. All Dish outputs work at the same time.
Be sure to select 1080i ouput in Dish menu settings. I found 1080i works better then 720p output even with my 720p projector.
Look for very good HDMI-DVI cables at monoprice.com. You don't need to invest something there. I bought a perfect 35' HDMI-DVI cable for around $30.
You can try connect HDMI and component outputs and select what you prefer. I like more sharp HDMI output.

Tom Snyder

QuoteLook for very good HDMI-DVI cables at monoprice.com.
Or get the same price from a retailer who supports our site with their ads:

http://www.ehdmi.com
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

AndrewP

Quote from: Tom Snyder;40625Or get the same price from a retailer who supports our site with their ads:

http://www.ehdmi.com

I am glad I clicked. Actually it is probably the same monoprice company, because the website looks same and products are same monoprice products with the same prices.
What I found is a new 4x2 HDMI matrix switch , just $97. Gefen has it for $800.
I have now 5x1 switch and it is flawless. I will probably upgrade to 4x2 in order to get another HDMI output from HD DVR 622. If I will buy it, I will use eHDMI.com;)

cjucoder

Quote from: gparris;40605Just make sure the input indicates 1080i on the input (you'd be surprised what I see sometimes with clients).

Yes, my TV has 3 component inputs, but one of those only accepts 480i and 480p input signals.  

I also use my Denon AVR to switch much of my video.  Works great for me.  I use a monoprice HDMI switchbox (and HDMI to DVI converter) for other devices which also works great.

Bigdog

I picked up 2 of the 24ga. 2m HDMI cables from monoprice.  They are very beefy and were only $14.48 each.