News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Already have a problem with 524

Started by kevbeck122, Thursday Jun 28, 2007, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevbeck122

It keeps going in and out of signal on my TV with CableCard.  8300HD has no problems.  Anyone else having issues?

brewtownska

I have the same dropout problems on 524 when using my Samsung h260f QAM box on TWC.

Does anyone know how TWC is getting the signal for 524.  I thought I read somewhere that they commonly pick up the same signal you and I can receive OTA and just retransmit it over their cable system.  I also thought some channels had a direct fiber connection to TWC.  Knowing how TWC gets 24's signal might help us diagnose who's issue it is or where the problem is happening.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Mikey

Acutally last night, using my 8300HD box, just changing channels normally, when I got to 524, I rec'd no image a few times...then I'd go back down to 518 and then back up to 524 and it'd be there.

So, something is up with 524, because even on the box, it was "not there" for me a few times...and it is the only channel that has done that to me.

brewtownska

I was watching the Fireworks in HD on 512 via QAM last night, and afterwards I was flipping through other channels.  I only have QAM channels saved that I know have valid info on them, so everything I had previously scanned have been blocked.  524 I find on QAM channel 77-3.  It would pop in and out.  Usually once it went away, I'd have to go up or down a channel and then back, then it would work again.  Thing is, I found there was another new channel that showed up on 77-2.  I would have expected this to be the new 518, but it actually had the MPTV logo in the upper left, an unknown logo in the upper right, and it was all in spanish.  I don't watch much MPTV, so I don't know if they show spanish shows on periodically.  My gut was that this is an all spanish version of MPTV, based on the unknown logo in the upper right (I remember a "v" in a white bubble, then 2 other letters in anothe white bubble connected to it).  I know TWC has a whole tier of spanish channels...is there maybe a version of MPTV in that tier?

Anyhow, sometimes 77-2 would appear, other times it wouldn't.  So in the hour I had the TV on after the fireworks, I probably hit the 77-2 and 77-3 channels a dozen times while channel surfing (usually going between Letterman and Leno, and other channels during commercials).  I tried lots of combinations of going between those two channels and the immediate ones above and below, but couldn't find a combination that produced the problem everytime...it was just hit or miss.

A little off topic here, but does anyone know what QAM channel I should look for to find the new 518?  I could rescan, but if someone else has already done the work to look for it, I'd rather just punch the channel in :)

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

flash

I tried 0-518 and 0-524 and no dice on QAM for me. :bang:

tencom

Channel 24 is on analog channel 77, with including  a spanish speaking video stream and channel 18 is on channel 116 with several PBS streams, including  a PBS HDTV stream. Checking with TS READER, shows channel 18, with a virtual channel table which lists channel 18s virtual channel, as 518 ,and channel 24, with very little channel data and no virtual channel table.

Jimboy

Quote from: brewtownska;39865I have the same dropout problems on 524 when using my Samsung h260f QAM box on TWC.

Does anyone know how TWC is getting the signal for 524.  I thought I read somewhere that they commonly pick up the same signal you and I can receive OTA and just retransmit it over their cable system.  I also thought some channels had a direct fiber connection to TWC.  Knowing how TWC gets 24's signal might help us diagnose who's issue it is or where the problem is happening.

Mike

Via Wireless Digital Transmission. No problems reported at our facility.
Are you offering to help find where the problem is? :)

kevbeck122

flash

Any information on QAM channel equivelants??????

Anyone?????

Beuller?????

Anyone?????

brewtownska

On my Sammy T451, if I type in 77, it autofinds the 2 channels (24HD and that spanish MPTV).  If I type in 116, it autofinds 18HD and the PBS-HD channel.

On my Sammy h260f, if I type in 77, I find 77-2 as the spanish MPTV and 77-3 as 24HD.  If I type in 116, it remaps to 0-518.  Thing is I can't get it to find the PBS-HD channel.  I think it's because my initial scan a month ago for channels stopped around 110.  If i scan again, hopefully it'll go through all the channels looking.  I also don't have the original remote for the h260f...I'm using a Harmony.  If the dash key (-) was properly loaded on the Harmony website, I might be able to force it to a specific subchannel on 116, but nobody loaded that key to the database.  I'll try to rescan one of these days when I have time.

If anyone HAS the Sammy h260f remote AND has a Harmony, any chance you'd be so kind as to teach your Harmony that key.  I think from there you can somehow load it to the master database (though i don't know how that happens).  I'd assume once they load it to the master database, then when I log in next time and update my remote, that key will work.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

flash

Thanks Mike!

116 remapped to 0-518 (18 HD)

Now I have to try and figure out how to get 24HD.

I tried 77 -0  -1  -2  -3 etc...

77 isn't automapping to 24 HD like yours did. :bang:

I'm using a Samsung HP-S4273 plasma with a built in QAM tuner.

brewtownska

I rescanned today to see if I could pick up the QAM PBS-HD channel on TWC (should be on 116 somewhere)...no luck.  I can get it on my Samsung SIR-T451, but not on my Samsung DTB-H260F.  On my 260F, it must find the first channel on 116 (which it remaps to 0-518) then just stop looking.  That's all I can think of.  As I mentioned before, I have no way to type in a specific subchannel either because I don't have the original remote and the "-" (dash) key was never entered into the Harmony database for my Harmony 676.

For those out there that know more about how QAM works, is there anything funky in the stream coming from TWC that would keep my box from scanning for the other channels in the 116 frequency?  If for some reason I'm wrong on the frequency for PBS-HD, please correct me.  I could have swore that's where I find it on my T451.

Again, if anyone local has this box and has any Harmony remote, see if you can log into the Harmony software and add the "-" button to your buttons learn by doing the "learn" command.  I think you can then send it off to Harmony to be added to the database...then everyone using a Harmony will have the ability to use this.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

afa3

brewtownska - I don't have answers to your questions, but FWIW my Panasonic plasma QAM acts a lot like your H260F. Some TWC QAM channels remap to the expected channels (like 0-518), some don't (like 77-3). They change once in a while, too.

I can get all the clear QAM HD channels except PBS-HD. I haven't been able to pick up PBS-HD for quite a while, even before they added 0-518 on 116.

As far as I can tell, these are just problems in the Panasonic tuner. First I've heard of this with Samsung, however.

As you suggest, I think that some combinations of subchannel assignments confuse the tuner. I don't know if that's really true or if there's any way to fix it, however.

brewtownska

Quote from: tencom;39893Channel 24 is on analog channel 77, with including  a spanish speaking video stream and channel 18 is on channel 116 with several PBS streams, including  a PBS HDTV stream. Checking with TS READER, shows channel 18, with a virtual channel table which lists channel 18s virtual channel, as 518 ,and channel 24, with very little channel data and no virtual channel table.

For some reason I can't get the PBS-HD stream on channel 116 on my Samsung DTB-h260f box, but CAN get it on my Samsung SIR-T451.  This sucked for me last night because PBS-HD had on a Dashboard Confessional concert on, but my main setup uses the box that couldn't get the channel.

I've tried rescanning the DTB-h260f a few times, but no luck.  It finds 116-1 (18) which it then remaps to 0-518.  My guess is it stops looking for more channels after that, or something in the "virtual channel table" that tencom mentioned above is funky.  Tencom, any chance you can use that TS READER you mentioned and see if anything looks wrong in how the data is being sent.  If it's a limitation of my box, there's nothing I can do.  If it's something in the datastream that just needs to be tweaked, then maybe there is hope.  I posted a similar message last week in a different thread, and did have a response from someone else having the same sort off issue, but it's with his Panasonic TV.

Since virtual channel 18 is the first stream on channel 116, would it be an issue with that stream's data, or would it be with PBS-HD's stream (which I think is 116-2, at least that's where I find it on my SIR-T451 box).

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

tencom

Both  PBS HDTV, which is on channel 116,   and channel 24s,  digital channel  on cable channel 77, both are lacking PSIP data that contains the channel  information. It seems that some HD televisions, only will find channels in the search function. by the PSIP data and not look through, and find the unencrypted streams. Maybe you have the option of manually adding these channels to the channel menu. Also you can find  these standard definition channels, all without channel data.

WTMJ- TV on channel 90
                                           WITI-TV  on channel 91
                                           WDJT-TV on channel 106
                                            WHA-TV on channel 111