• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

(Disappointing) Notes from AT&T Investor Webcast

Started by Skywalker, Wednesday Jun 13, 2007, 02:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoadStar

Ouch.

Personally, I don't even consider 2 HD streams sufficient at this point... and now they don't even think they can get to even THAT level for an entire year? Wow. I had considered them a "wait and see" but now I consider them "completely irrelevant."

The bad part is that, if past pattern continues to hold, during the next year they'll be spending tons of money on promoting the joke of a service that they should be putting towards actually improving the service to the level that might make me want to think about them. I'm sure I'll be getting the mailings every 2-3 days that I will, of course, immediately circular file.

gparris

Quote from: LoadStar;39672Ouch.

Personally, I don't even consider 2 HD streams sufficient at this point... and now they don't even think they can get to even THAT level for an entire year? Wow. I had considered them a "wait and see" but now I consider them "completely irrelevant."

The bad part is that, if past pattern continues to hold, during the next year they'll be spending tons of money on promoting the joke of a service that they should be putting towards actually improving the service to the level that might make me want to think about them. I'm sure I'll be getting the mailings every 2-3 days that I will, of course, immediately circular file.

Second that, even the 2 HD streams U-Verse was barely acceptable, as sometimes 3 HD channels are used around my place at a time and this all goes to show how "going on the cheap" with U-Verse's mostly (FTTN) technology is just, well, insufficient competitively nowadays.

In the end, it will all have to be done in a Fiber-To-The-Premises (FTTP) or nothing...or AT&T will just have to get out of the business of TV delivery, IMHO.

I have seen FIOS in action and U-Verse and my bets are on FIOS succeeding, not U-Verse with this latest setback and that's sad for competition.:(
Bet this made TWC's day!

tencom

No other provider of alternative television either cable or telecos are willing to take a huge financial risk, as is VERIZON with there FIOS system, and so far no other investors have come forward, to install a FIOS type systems. anywhere in the country in fact with so many providers of multichannel systems both wired and satellite. I personally see that  investing, in these providers, as not a good
investment because, of over competition.

gparris

FIOS has "passed" over three million homes and has gone over the half million mark with FIOS TV subscribers in just 20 months.
The goal is to "pass" (allow for connections) nine million homes by the end of this year and to double that to 18 million by 2010.

If their business plan sounds optimistic, at least their penetration and subscrition rate already seems to show promise.

Most that have FIOS TV like it and would not go back, this from the many posts at avs and users that I know that actually have it, a very good thing.

It is too bad Wisconsin is not going to have it from what I researched, maybe not until that 2010 date timeline:
Verizon's "solution/offer" right now is Directv and slower speed DSL with their standard phone service
...no FIOS.
I live in their provider area and contacted them several times and have asked to be on a list for FIOS TV and FIOS internet service.:(

Most consumers are stuck with AT&T for the Milwaukee metro service area, not a bad thing unless of course, they have HDTVs and want a competitive service alternative from TWC.:D

gparris

FIOS has "passed" over three million homes and has gone over the half million mark with FIOS TV subscribers in just 20 months.
The goal is to "pass" (allow for connections) nine million homes by the end of this year and to double that to 18 million by 2010.

If there business plan sounds optimistic, at least their penetration and subscrition rate seems to show promise, too.

Most that have it like and would not go back from the many posts at avs and users that I know have it, a very good thing.

Too bad Wisconsin is not going to have it from what I researched:
Verizon's "solution" is Directv and slower speed DSL with their standard phone service - I live in their provider area and contacted them several times.:(

Most consumers are stuck with AT&T for their service area, not a bad thing unless of course, they have HDTVs and want a competitive service with TWC.:D