News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

progressive scan or upscaler?

Started by grandwega, Monday May 28, 2007, 08:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandwega

I have a Toshiba 42" plasma TV with DVI input (1080i).  What would be the best route?  Progressive scan dvd plaer or an upscaler?

What progressive scan dvd would you recommend?  What upscaler would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

-grandwega

Todd Wiedemann

Quote from: grandwega;39506I have a Toshiba 42" plasma TV with DVI input (1080i).  What would be the best route?  Progressive scan dvd plaer or an upscaler?

What progressive scan dvd would you recommend?  What upscaler would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

-grandwega

HD-DVD from an Xbox360 is my recommendation.

grandwega

that's a great idea but i don't have xbox 360...

SRW1000

Do you have a budget in mind?  Do you only want to scale DVDs, or do you want to upscale all of your SD material?

Good scalers are not inexpensive.  Given your screen size, the results may not be worth it.  How far do you sit from your plasma set?

For an inexpensive answer, you could look at some of the Toshiba HD DVD players.  Earlier today, I started a thread about one that was less than $250.  In addition to playing HD DVDs, it will also upscale your DVDs.  The higher up model, HD-XA2 is supposed to be a top-notch scaler.

Scott

kevbeck122

I'd say go with an upconverting player.  A good brand I know of is Oppo: http://www.oppodigital.com/.  I used to use a Samsung upconverting player that I got for $50 refurbished and it worked fine.  Now I just use my PS3.. the new update allows for upconversion of DVDs.  The other route you can go is to buy an HD-DVD player since they seem to be coming down in price.  I've seen the Toshiba HD-A2 go for $250-$300 recently.

grandwega

Quote from: SRW1000;39511Do you have a budget in mind?  Do you only want to scale DVDs, or do you want to upscale all of your SD material?

Good scalers are not inexpensive.  Given your screen size, the results may not be worth it.  How far do you sit from your plasma set?

For an inexpensive answer, you could look at some of the Toshiba HD DVD players.  Earlier today, I started a thread about one that was less than $250.  In addition to playing HD DVDs, it will also upscale your DVDs.  The higher up model, HD-XA2 is supposed to be a top-notch scaler.

Scott

I don't have a large dvd collection so I don't want to spend too much.  I'm more leaning towards HD DVD and Blu Ray when prices come down.  For the moment I would like to enjoy the full benefits of my HDTV without breaking my wallet.

I hope this helps you to help me.  I was also looking at the OPPO DVD players as well and they seem impressive.  Any thoughts of these?  Here's their http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

grandwega

Quote from: kevbeck122;39512I'd say go with an upconverting player.  A good brand I know of is Oppo: http://www.oppodigital.com/.  I used to use a Samsung upconverting player that I got for $50 refurbished and it worked fine.  Now I just use my PS3.. the new update allows for upconversion of DVDs.  The other route you can go is to buy an HD-DVD player since they seem to be coming down in price.  I've seen the Toshiba HD-A2 go for $250-$300 recently.

Are you a physic?  We have the same thoughts...   :rock: